Archery Talk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Has She Improved?

64K views 427 replies 169 participants last post by  GSLAM95 
#1 ·
Ok she has had it exactly a week now and has shot every day I know her grip is still too tight but how does the rest look. You know how gf's and wives are; they don't listen to you near as good as they do everyone else so I need you guys to critique and keep her going the right direction.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
She already looks more comfortable with the bow!!! I notice she's not leaning back now, and in at least some of the pics her grip is much better. I prefer to rotate my hand so that my knuckles are angled down at about a 45 degree angle. It tends to cause less bow torque and will help keep the forearm out of the way of the bowstring. Here's a pic demonstrating the grip I use...

P.S. Have her loosen up her bowsling just a touch, it doesn't need to be that tight...

#4 ·
She already looks more comfortable with the bow!!! I notice she's not leaning back now, and in at least some of the pics her grip is much better. I prefer to rotate my hand so that my knuckles are angled down at about a 45 degree angle. It tends to cause less bow torque and will help keep the forearm out of the way of the bowstring. Here's a pic demonstrating the grip I use...

Looks like either she is getting more comfortable, or her hand is getting tired from holding on so hard. Good work though, and just keep at it.

#6 ·
No doubt the best thread ever! Keep in mind this is coming from a guy who just had his second child 6 weeks ago and has been denied for about 4 months now. Not that I'm counting or anything. Just remember though that looks are one thing, someone you get along with is another. If she's out there shooting a bow and acting interested in something you love to do then I say you probably have a winner. Good work and good luck to the both of you.

#7 ·
No offense intended, but I really don't think it should matter one iota if she can shoot or not. WoW!

#8 ·
She needs to find a solid anchor/reference point(s) on her face somewhere and relax that release hand...just have her lay the index finger over the trigger and relax the hand. She looks like she will float that hand and it's definitely tense. We are going to need many more pictures...step-by-step ya know:wink:

#13 ·
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=515317
USCG4good I think this link will work if not the thread is still on the first page here. Hemingway thanks for looking at details but the sling is plenty loose it's just stiff and looks like there's tension on it. Her release hand is definitely tense but like I said she will listen better if all of you tell her instead of just me. DocB your right about looks not being everything but when I tell you she is even better on the inside you can believe it; she is shy, sweet, loving, affectionate, smart, funny, very anticonfrontational,(I can't make her argue with me) and she's a heck of a cook! Best thing I've ever found that's for sure and she aint just acting interested, she wanted to hunt before I mentioned it.

#26 ·
Well, jeese man...

...she is even better on the inside you can believe it; she is shy, sweet, loving, affectionate, smart, funny, very anticonfrontational,(I can't make her argue with me) and she's a heck of a cook! Best thing I've ever found that's for sure and she aint just acting interested, she wanted to hunt before I mentioned it.
...marry that woman! Having a common interest last long after the looks fade a bit after 10-15 years and a child or two.

Regarding her shooting, I say just relax and shoot. All this attention on her form at this early stage could bring on target panic. Just let her settle in and shoot.

(But if you must, Heather (Heather, right?) seems to be collapsing a bit. Think of a straight line looking from above from the bow, through the bow arm, shoulder, and out the other shoulder and arm. This is pretty typical for compound shooting, but I think most folks would shoot better if better in line.)

Good luck, and enjoy.

#14 ·
That is some fast improvement!!!:eek:

Speedfreak you just may have some real competition next 3D season!:wink:

The release strap is still looks pretty far up her hand, but the draw length doesn't look too long now.:confused:

Jim

#16 ·
Looking at the picture of her arrow group in the previous thread, they are packed, but not tight. And to me, that says that she does not have a consistent anchor point. She is anchoring, and somewhat in the same place, but not one place consistently, every shot. Ask her where her anchors are. How many does she have?

#49 ·
Just as said in this quote. She needs a consistent anchor point. When teaching my teenage boys and wife I had them use 3 points. They shoot peeps.

1. Consider having her draw with eyes closed and watch for variations

2. Check peep alignment by drawing with eyes closed and open dominate eye. Should be naturally aligned, if not then adjust peep as needed.

3. 1st Anchor Point - Open & relaxed with hand holding the bow as mentioned

4. 2nd Anchor Point - draw hand to consistent point on your face i.e. jawline, high point of cheek, etc.

5. 3rd Anchor Point - make that string just barely touch your nose. Not enough to cause harm on release but just so string touches nose.

6. Practice this form with and without arrows

7. When shooting make sure she is not dropping bow upon release.

8. If SAFE TO DO SO, have her shoot with eyes closed and watch her form. Critique as appropriate.

Best of luck and keep on going! Keep encouraging her and be patient. Tell her to be patient as well. Maybe get her a girl buddy to also shoot with.

FWIW,
ShepFL:shade:

#17 ·
Better form than almost all beginners, for sure! Nothing major but a little practice needed. A youtube video posted here could help identify form flaws. There's some guys on here that will be able to help.

#18 ·
Hey what do you think of that bengal???? quite? fast? easy to shoot?

#20 ·
she looks every bit as good this week as she did last week,maybe even a little better. i really couldnt tell you if shes holding the bow right or not,dont really care. update us every week if you would like, im sure we can help.:darkbeer::)

#23 ·
Are you considering trading her in on a newer model or one that can shoot better? Personally, I would keep her. Evidently something got your attention before she could shoot a bow, not sure what it was but must have been something:wink:

#24 ·
To me, she looks a lot better already. On the pics that she's facing the cam, her grip is MUCH more relaxed and she seems to be more straight up and down in the torso. She seems like she's picking it up pretty good man.

You better watch out! She'll be putting you to shame in 3D in NO TIME!

#25 ·
I really agree with all the posts - she has come a long way and has good f...f...f...form. How else to say it?! Biggest thing is, she needs to relax both hands more. But if I knew my pics were gonna be posted on a board for twenty gazillion lusty archers to critique, I'd be a bit tense and tight, too. Looks to me like just shooting for fun for awhile would be the best thing. No pressure. So that means the daily posts we all want you to make will have to be made by a stealthy trailcam... hopefully, a good one with excellent resolution, at least 5 megapixels... That way maybe she'll relax and we'll have to look really hard for anything to critique.

Whoa, even when I am tryin' my darnedest to be good, I'm bad. If I wasn't an archer already, I'd be buyin' a bow...

:darkbeer::darkbeer::darkbeer:

#30 ·
Txcookie that's a Leapord not a Bengal it's the same limbs and cams just smaller riser and lower weight. It shoots great I've shot it a couple of times even though it's like three feet too short it draws really smooth and is so quiet and shock free on the release I didn't know what to think the first time it went off; it didn't feel like I had shot a bow it's a really nice little set up. Makes me want a Bengal if they were faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.