Thread: Purpose of the wrist strap??

Purpose of the wrist strap??

Seen many pics of peoples rigs and see alot shooting with the wrist strap on the bow. What is supposed to be the purpose of those? I can't see a reason for them. You hold the bow loosely with your hand, you shoot and then you hold the bow with the strap I guess, seems crazy to me, seems like just another gadget to put on a bow, like they don't have enough anyway.

Some can shoot without one. But most use one because we feel comfortable knowing that on release that bow isn't gonna go anywhere. We can focus more on shooting and less on "catching" the bow.

I shoot my bow with an open hand, Without the wrist strap it would hit the ground. If your bow dosent tip out of your hand after the shot your gripping it, the end result is torque, might not be much, but its there.

Quote Originally Posted by sa_hunt View Post
    Seen many pics of peoples rigs and see alot shooting with the wrist strap on the bow. What is supposed to be the purpose of those? I can't see a reason for them. You hold the bow loosely with your hand, you shoot and then you hold the bow with the strap I guess, seems crazy to me, seems like just another gadget to put on a bow, like they don't have enough anyway.
    The first time your bow bounces off a concrete floor, or falls 15' from your treestand, you'll understand what they're for.
    '12 Hoyt Vector 35
    Quinn Stallion Recurve

before I had one I did drop it a couple times when releasing.
    "crackerized" '06,'07 Tributes:wife,kids,dogs,: !everybody needs a new EXperience!!?? not necessarily in that order
    "At no time is freedom of speech more precious than when a man hits his thumb with a hammer."
    I wish I was at http://www.lagunavistaranch.com/contact.html(Jed is out of Crown)

Agreed.It's just another thingie to put on a bow.I use a finger sling.

Talking

I shoot open handed to reduce torque on the riser,and don't close my hand on the bow until after the shot is made.The bow can jump out of your hand upon release.It is not as noticable with the newer bows because they are more "dead" on the release,but it still happens unless you grip (torque) the riser.I once threw a Darton Lightning 15 feet at a 3-D shoot breaking a $60 Easton stabilizer because I didn't put my hand in the sling.That is why I,and I'm sure alot of others use them.

BRO
    Last edited by bro2032; June 30th, 2007 at 11:52 PM.
    JOHN 3:16
    GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!!

they aren't mandatory, if you don't feel it is necessary you don't need one. I feel I need one because I have dropped my bow after shooting it. I even drop my back tension release at times

My Cougar lll landed on the floor earlier this week, I knew better than to shoot without the sling....but, had to try the "new to me" bow right after getting it, anyway.
    First few shot were good, but, I just missed catching the bow after the last shot, put a ding in a stabilizer, and....good thing I'm planning a cam/axle swap on this bow, 'cause the top axle had a slight bend in it afterwards, as well!
    ~Wise Men still Seek HIM~ ~xXx~Martin Archery~xXx~
    ~ Martin Scepter XRG-Scepter ll Elite-Scepter lll Elite-Scepter lV Elite target bows~
    ~M4L~
    ~Martin Cougar Elite w/Tru-Arc+~~ BriteSite ProTuner~~SureLoc Supreme~~M4L~

And you can get a really nice one in several color combos from beenfarr, The slingbraid.

You'll find it here
    http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=509401

Better than what you'll find in the store.

bow sling, wrist sling or finger sling......all do the same thing....keeps ya from bouncin your bow down the lane or droppin in out of the tree.

i really dont like the idea of watchin $1200 go bouncin down the lane because i was too stupid to use a sling.

you can pay a little now or alot later
    When the war is over soldiers come home, SAILORS dont. WE will always stand a vigilant watch to protect YOUR way of life.
    It's not that I'm cranky, I just dont care what you think.
    Google isnt all that difficult to use, i'm not gonna spoon feed you info that you're too lazy to look up.

Quote Originally Posted by slinger View Post
    The first time your bow bounces off a concrete floor, or falls 15' from your treestand, you'll understand what they're for.
    I've never dropped my bow from my treestand but...

I kinda wondered the same thing. I have shot my Commander open handed before and left it open after the shot and the bow just sits there. I guess I might need it sometime. Don't know.
    2006 LH Bowtech Old Glory 70#, 32 1/2" draw, back to the Hostage rest, SH 7-pin Hunter, 500gr TR Crush 300 @ 285fps.
    2007 LH Bowtech Commander 60#, 32" draw, Limbdriver rest, BG 5-pin Flashpoint.
    2014 PSE Freak SP 70#, 32" draw, not set up yet.

I don't know either,but I have always had something to attach my bow to my hand.I just don't shoot any other way.Although as mentioned above,a lot of the new bows don't jump around much.

I shoot open handed and I have yet to drop my bow. BUt I have not dropped it because I have a wrist strap. Especially when I sit in my tree stand and shoot at 10 yards, leaning forward and pointing my bow down to the ground. But if you do not need one, then don't use one.
    Every day in the field is a gift.
    Bowtech Pro-40 30" 70#
    Drop Zone, Toxonics MK955, Tranquilizer Stabilizer
    Gold Tip XT Hunter 7595

Thanks for the responses. I am not going to use one because I have never even came close to dropping my bow target shooting or from a stand. I hear talk of torque if you can hold your bow without the strap but I guess I will just have to torque it because I am shooting good groups. I have around a 1000 bucks in my bow including arrows, bh's and all, so I am not being tight on a $10 strap.

I guess it's all about what you are comfortable with,but I've seen a lot of bows dropped,and a lot of red faces.I think I could probably shoot hundreds or even thousands of shots without a strap,but that one down hill shot would eventually get me.I've used a strap for so long it would feel like wearing no underwear without one.

The bow should naturally slowly roll forward after the shot, the arrow is completely free of string contact the rest and away from the bow long before this happens. Nobody physicly "NEEDS" a wrist strap to keep the bow from jumping out of the hand, if it does I say your bow has waaaay too much hand shock and/or you have improper form. You shoud not have to grab at the bow at the shot , (that would cause torque) it should roll off slow enough you have time to "grip" it before it falls out of your hand. I never make a complete grip, I keep my thumb and index finger extended out under the shelf after the shot and let the bow roll forward on my thumb and index finger and keep my shooting arm up and extended with only slight squeezing of my finger making the "OK " symbol with my left hand.
    A wrist strap (which I used for about 10 years) is more for insecurities than anything.
    Use one if you like ......or not. just try using one when it's 20 deg outside and you have heavy gloves and jacket on. if the srtap is tight on your gloves or jacket cuff I would think that would cause torque and if it's loose enough not to have contact with your gloves or cuff then you don't really need one.
    I'm not ever putting one back on.
    08' Iron Mace 70#
    Dipped in Natural gear
    Posten-Bucknasty-Lambeth-Viper-VICTORY, Battledrum and Slicktrick equipped

Quote Originally Posted by Hornsgalore View Post
    The bow should naturally slowly roll forward after the shot, the arrow is completely free of string contact the rest and away from the bow long before this happens. Nobody physicly "NEEDS" a wrist strap to keep the bow from jumping out of the hand, if it does I say your bow has waaaay too much hand shock and/or you have improper form. You shoud not have to grab at the bow at the shot , (that would cause torque) it should roll off slow enough you have time to "grip" it before it falls out of your hand. I never make a complete grip, I keep my thumb and index finger extended out under the shelf after the shot and let the bow roll forward on my thumb and index finger and keep my shooting arm up and extended with only slight squeezing of my finger making the "OK " symbol with my left hand.
    A wrist strap (which I used for about 10 years) is more for insecurities than anything.
    Use one if you like ......or not. just try using one when it's 20 deg outside and you have heavy gloves and jacket on. if the srtap is tight on your gloves or jacket cuff I would think that would cause torque and if it's loose enough not to have contact with your gloves or cuff then you don't really need one.
    If you watch most top shooters you will see nearly all use something to stop the bow. If you shoot with loaded back tension, when the shot breaks the bow will naturally go forward, regardless of this so-called "shock." Watch a top shooter and you will never see a slooow roll, it will go forward and then down and to the side (once the starp or finger sling catches it).

Without a sling of some sort, the rest will hit the back of my hand and that is very painful.

I have never dropped any bow but I used to torque my bow before using a wrist strap . I leave it loose and if my bow ever jumped , it wouldn't go far . Kinda like a security blanket !
    For $6 , it's a great investment .
    I think they are standard on all Bowtechs !
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Hornsgalore View Post
    I prefer my bow to jump clear out of my hand, a bow that feels dead in the hand after the release kills accuracy. If you have no feedback from the bow (most call it "hand shock" ???? ) you will not know the difference in feel from a good shot and a bad one. The wrist strap and/ or fingersling is to ensure that I can fully concentrate on my form while the arrow is in flight, not catching the bow. If you look at most target bows (built for accuracy) you will find that most are not parallell limb, and most do create a forward jump upon release. When properly fitted with a stabilizer the bow should jump forward and then roll forward clearing the arrow from the rest and eliminating torque issues. The "shock free" parallell limb bows are a hunting craze, manufactures wanted to make them quiet, and "shock free" because thats what hunters want.... Most bowhunters dont know what they want in a bow, but the manufactures do know what sells, and they build them.

No argument with target archers. totaly diferent limb design and forward motion. I never meant to discredit. I understand the physics behind target bows compared to hunting bows.
    I know my form probably isn't exactly right but it works for me, I can consistantly shoot sub 1 inch per ten yard groops which isn't bad for a hunter only. thats pretty darn accurate out to 70yds.
    I now shoot parralell limbs with a 4 inch stab. I feel almost nothing at the shot and I'm dead on! I have never in 26 years dropped my bow open handed with or without a sling regardless which bow I used. I like the slow roll and no shock dead feel as I'm sure a lot of hunters do, I think it's stealthy witch is favored. I think MOST bowhunters DO know what they want in a bow. WE are not all dumb hicks and To make a comment like that is ..........just.............not worth it, is it?
    A sling for hunting.......maybe a security thing but just not needed.
    a sling for target style archers.......maybe needed? you got me there.
    Last edited by Hornsgalore; July 1st, 2007 at 04:51 PM.
    08' Iron Mace 70#
    Dipped in Natural gear
    Posten-Bucknasty-Lambeth-Viper-VICTORY, Battledrum and Slicktrick equipped

Just a little insurence. The first compund bow I got and the first shot. To the floor it went. 1 new sight later I have a sling of some type on every bow. But I just started using a finger sling and boy do I love it.

Arrow

I never used one a sling that is until this year and since trying one my groups have tighten up a bit so there is something to having one. Like many have stated if you grip your bow even a little there is torque involved and you might be twisting it this way you had is lose andthe bow does not fall out of your hand.

I thought I would not like one but after getting use to it my groups at 30 yards are very tight and it has to be that I was more concerned about dropping my bow than the aiming and releasing the arrow. So for me it has helped.

As for those that say it would do anything I can only say it has improved my shooting and thats all that counts for some of us. And for the price of one with custom colors it makes your bow look even better...

But as most things archery it is a personal preference and for me it has helped with my shooting...

LFM
    Loyal Oneida AF/ LFM Shooter since 1995, Easton XX75 2514, Magnus Stinger 125 two blades, Pollington Pro Grip Release,