Thread: PSE Rattler Crossbow. Anyone have one or info

PSE Rattler Crossbow. Anyone have one or info

PSE has a crossbow ( The Rattler) with 165# draw weight. They do not have any other info such as Ke, bolt speed or length of the power stroke. It comes with a three dot scope, quiver, four bolts with points, sling, and shooting glasses. All for 329.95 MSRP. If this is not a toy it may be a sleeper as an entry level crossbow. I am going to call the factory and see what I can find out.

Comments anyone?

navydad
    Norman, Oklahoma

Rattller Ke according to factory

The factory reports a speed of 285 fps. The bolt is 17 inches. They do not have bolt weight. A Horton 20" bolt with insert, aluminum flat nock and vanes weighs 383 gr. Substract 50 gr for 17 inch add a 100 gr point and we have a bolt wt of 433 gr times 285 fps and with a little over 70# Ke.

Not a toy if the crossbow has an ok trigger.

navydad

Navydad,

For a little more money you can get a new Excalibur Phoenix which is an excellent Xbow produced by a company that has fantastic service.

HH
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

I second the above response.
    >--CHRIS--->X

they are a good solid little crossbow no frills. will kill like any other crossbow. not a high end bow but again a solid performer. if i was you i would look at horton crossbow which actually is what the pse is. it is made for pse or was in the past
    rob k
    with a 20" bolt it will be slower but just as effective

Quote Originally Posted by robk View Post
    they are a good solid little crossbow no frills. will kill like any other crossbow. not a high end bow but again a solid performer. if i was you i would look at horton crossbow which actually is what the pse is. it is made for pse or was in the past
    rob k
    with a 20" bolt it will be slower but just as effective
    Our former shop was a pse dealer and we got a few PSE xbows in. They once had their own trackless bows-well made but the ergonomics sucked. They then went to tracked bows which were made by Horton and then Ten Point and finally started carrying Taiwanese made bows that were essentially copies of older Horton rigs. We had a couple we got on a promo-a compound and a recurve. The recurve was quickly dropped by PSE but seemed OK, the compound was decent for the money-I tested it fairly rigorously and as someone noted, it was fine for deer hunting 35 yards and in.

No I wouldn't choose one (or a compound xbow of any type) over my excalibur but this wasn't a bad bow, especially for someone who is only going to use if for casual deer hunting (as opposed to say weekly 3D work)
    SUPPORT OUR TROOPS
    TARGETWORLD/HOYT Staff Shooter
    Proud CEO of Cincinnati Junior Olympians-the first JOAD CLUB
    I buy from BCY

PSE Rattler

Thanks to you who responded. I am a Horton man myself. I have an almost new Express that turns out to be 14 years old. I do not think it was shot more than 25 times. It gives me 241 fps with a 541gr bolt for 69.21# Ke. I just qualified for a crossbow and this is my first. My question about the PSE was just seeking informationn on what was out there. I have been doing a lot of reading and I hope to be headed from dumb to less dumb. I am enjoying this thread and all of the info on it. I reload for 6 rifle calibers and am having fun putting various bolts through a chronograph. I have a Pact scale that weighs in 1/10 of a grain.

navydad
    norman, ok
    so many bolts, so little time to shoot

I'm a shotgun man myself but want to get out earlier in the year. I have been looking at this xbow myself. Do you have any info on its overall weight? When you called the factory did you get any idea where to find reviews for this bow?