Thread: Trail Camera Placement

Trail Camera Placement

I just got a new trail camera and was currious to what the best set up was for it? I have heard higher up in a tree at a downward angle and so that the game is not wlking in front of it parallell to the cam face and so on but id like to hear some more, My camera is a moultrie gamespy 3.1 Thanks for the help!

Aaron
    CRACKERIZED Switchback LD 70# - 31"
    QAD Ultra Rest HD, G5 Optix LE Sights
    Rage Broadheads, Beman Bone Collector Arrows
    288 FPS, 72.03 Ft. Lbs. K.E.

Recommended level is thigh high towards the trail that you are looking to catch. A high position in a tree would limit the window where you can catch the game. I have 2 of these cameras, and they are not real sensitive in how quickly they trigger the shot. That's why you need a wider window if you can get it. Best of luck, and good shootin'.

The best thing to do with a Camera with a slow trigger speed is to use bait!!! Set the bait up centered in front of the camera and it will hold them long enough for a picture!!! Natural bait,mineral lick or even pure vanila extract. Good Luck

All of these replies are great- Also with the use of a cheaper trail camera that has a slower trigger speed the trick is to set the camera directly facing towards or directly away from a popular trail.This will increase the time the animal is directly in front of the camera and giving the camera more time to respond... this is probable the best secret i have learned with my camera that does have a slower trigger response..

Do yourself a favor-spend the money on a quality trail camera with a more responsive trigger .I am addicted to trail cameras now.

they are an awesome hobby during the off season...

Face it "down" a trail if you can.....just to elaborate on what Guardian said. Bait also helps a slow trigger speed. Make sure you don't put it too close to a trail if you DO aim it somewhat perpendicular to it......the further away, the wider window for most cameras. But, don't get too far away...i personally put mine 3-5 steps off of a trail if i'm using that method....putting them high in a tree is a good way to deter theft and maximize your night vision/flash distance. By placing it up and aiming it down, you can measure the length that the flash/night vision will illuminate the area. In typical setups, sometimes you get the motion sensor to trip, but the night vision or flash isn't strong enough to illuminate the subject, which in turn gives you only eyes or nothing at all...........that's my opinions....
    General Manager, Vapor Trail Archery
    763-862-8870 (Ask for Ears)

Quit your Cryin!
    www.vaportrailarchery.com www.facebook.com/ears1

if there is alot of grass in front of the cam, make sure to clear it out for about20 to 30 ft in front of the cam other wise all that you will get is pics of grass moving
    N.O.A.H. "Protecting the rights of todays' sportsmen"
    2007 Bowtech Gaurdian
    Tru Fire Release
    Slick Trick Magnums

Thanks for all the help!!! I just ended up getting a new moultrie now... I took the other one back after realizing for 50 bucks more I could get 4MP and IR. Now I got the Gamespy I40 claiming 1 sec trigger time... But still these rules will apply as well... so thank you! http://www.moultriefeeders.com/produ...id=MFH-DGS-I40
    Aaron
    CRACKERIZED Switchback LD 70# - 31"
    QAD Ultra Rest HD, G5 Optix LE Sights
    Rage Broadheads, Beman Bone Collector Arrows
    288 FPS, 72.03 Ft. Lbs. K.E.

Make sure it is in the shade always or it isnt facing the sun,the picture will be washed out.