Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ohio Bucks Shedding Velvet

Ohio Bucks Shedding Velvet

Today when i got up, i saw quite a few deer outside my house. I got the monarchs out and started glassing. I saw two very large bucks (one is the biggest i've honostely ever seen in my life, both in body mass and rack size- although he was only an 8- i would guess he's in the high 150's or low 160's.)

I quickly noticed that both him, and the large 4 point (guessing 120's - huge as well) were both out of their velvet! They also looked to be already rutted up (large necks large weight gain).

Comparing this to my land in the lima ohio area, my bucks are still growing (blulbs at the ends of their horns, on all the pictures that i have from my cams).

There is obviously a huge difference in development between northwestern ohio and southern ohio, but it's almost like my deer in lima are a month to two months behind in growth.

Is this a glimpse that rut in southern ohio will kick off sooner than in northwestern? i know the does are what trigger rut, but could the fact that bucks have shed velvet also mean that does are ahead of schedule as well?

This outta be good!!

A 120" four point?????????? WOW, I gotta get me a pair of those binos!!!!!!!! LOL I'm with you FULTN......LOL This could get good!

Their necks were big because the were rubbing the velvet off.

Sounds like great deer. However, a 120" 4 point might be a record in itself. Hope you have a great season.

sorry, didn't mean 4 (typo) was a 6. thanks for catching that for me.

i'm at work so sometimes i have to type fast

30 inch main beams, 20 inch tines and a 20 inch spread, sounds like my kind of deer.

i would bet they were every bit of 20 inch inside spread, probably 16 inch tines.

you dont have to take my word for it, but if you have seen some of the pictures of deer taken from this area in the past few years, you know that wouldn't be that far fetched.

you sure you don't have the binos that capture the image and you where looking at deer from last season??

Sounds real early for bucks to be shedding and rutted up....
    Crimson Talon ProStaff, MegaThrust Archery Staff Shooter, ]
    Mossy Oak Whitetail ProStaff, Mid Atlantic Archery products ProStaff

Antlers are in their last few weeks of growth, but there is no reason for them to shed yet...

PSE DNA
    Spot Hogg Tommy Hogg
    Carter Hammer
    Trophy Taker Smackdown

Are you sure you weren't looking at your Glendel "Full Rut" practice buck in your back yard?

Wow with those bucks primed and ready to go you better get the shovel out, they won’t make it chasing around in 90+ temperatures. Their offspring will be born in January, tough road to go for them as well.

could you do us all a favor and put a camera out where you saw these hard horned july deer? That sounds really bizarre and quite honestly, though Im trying, I just can't believe you without pictures
    thanks,
    dd
    God is Faithful

i couldn't believe it either. i have only seen the one smaller buck once before. i will put more cams out once i get them built.

two days ago at dusk i was watching a small basket racked buck appear to be what looked like rubbing his antlers against a hay bale in the adjacent field. At first i thought he was just itching the top of his head, but he soon moved on to rubbing against the ground. Nonetheless, i still brushed it off as just itching, however, now that i have seen two without velvet on, i'm pretty sure he too was rubbing off velvet.

OMG some of the replies in this thread are hilarious!

This is good stuff right here.....

Quote Originally Posted by cbrenn71 View Post
    i would bet they were every bit of 20 inch inside spread, probably 16 inch tines.

you dont have to take my word for it, but if you have seen some of the pictures of deer taken from this area in the past few years, you know that wouldn't be that far fetched.
    let me guesss your the new buffalo county?
    Black Ice
    Diamond Liberty
    2 BLADE RAGE or strikers
    Trophy Ridge Crush Arrows

Quote Originally Posted by Rkhunter01 View Post
    let me guesss your the new buffalo county?
    I dont know what that is supposed to mean, but i guess that's what i get for trying to post something that might actually be a meaningful post on this site.

Sorry i was trying to get some insight on a subject. Whether you believe it or not, that is the truth. I will try and get pictures.

but then you say not only did they have no velvet but looked like they had swollen necks, rutting bucks? this just makes me laugh wayyy too much these deer are in speed mode, get some pics
    Black Ice
    Diamond Liberty
    2 BLADE RAGE or strikers

Quote Originally Posted by Rkhunter01 View Post
    but then you say not only did they have no velvet but looked like they had swollen necks, rutting bucks? this just makes me laugh wayyy too much these deer are in speed mode, get some pics
    i didn't say they were rutting, just that it reminded me of deer in the rut with their appearance. Compared to my deer in lima, they looked to be much more along in their growth this year, as apparent by them NOT HAVING VELVET and it also looked like they had already packed on the pounds for the upcoming winter.

It seems very odd to me as well. but i know what i saw, so i dont think i should be pretty much called a liar. I will try and get pics.

Photo period

Photoperiodicity or length of daylight is what controls the hormone cycles in deer which in turn determines when antlers harden/velvet sheds, does coming into estrous, etc. The increased testosterone in the Fall coupled with the bucks normal activity plus the instinctive act of rubbing accounts for their "swollen " necks and overall more "buffed" appearance and the shedding of velvet as the antlers harden. This is much too early for their testosterone levels to put them in that state under normal conditons- you haven't spotted Barry Bonds' trainer in the area have you?

lol - no i havne't seen barry bonds' trainer anywhere in the area.

I know what i saw though. 2 bucks with no velvet and pointed antlers. no bulbs.

Is it possible that a short winter, combined with a very very dry summer could result in this?

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter4Ever View Post
    Photoperiodicity or length of daylight is what controls the hormone cycles in deer which in turn determines when antlers harden/velvet sheds, does coming into estrous, etc. The increased testosterone in the Fall coupled with the bucks normal activity plus the instinctive act of rubbing accounts for their "swollen " necks and overall more "buffed" appearance and the shedding of velvet as the antlers harden. This is much too early for their testosterone levels to put them in that state under normal conditons- you haven't spotted Barry Bonds' trainer in the area have you?
    agreed

that is the down fact and science to it
    Black Ice
    Diamond Liberty
    2 BLADE RAGE or strikers

Photo period

lol - no i havne't seen barry bonds' trainer anywhere in the area.

I know what i saw though. 2 bucks with no velvet and pointed antlers. no bulbs.

Is it possible that a short winter, combined with a very very dry summer could result in this?
    Not that I'm aware of- length of day is the overriding factor because it's the most constant of the variables year to year.
    Wait a Minute I just thought of it- I know what's causing it............Global Warming.......

ok, well, i'll get pics if i can. i dont have any cams here in hocking hills. all are up in lima.

i am in the process of building several others, and will put them out where i saw these bucks, along with some feed and hopefully get a few pics during testing.

ok, well, i'll get pics if i can. i dont have any cams here in hocking hills. all are up in lima.

i am in the process of building several others, and will put them out where i saw these bucks, along with some feed and hopefully get a few pics during testing.

fair enough, please try and get some pics for us... You better do it quick, they might shed them in another month...
    Crimson Talon ProStaff, MegaThrust Archery Staff Shooter, ]
    Mossy Oak Whitetail ProStaff, Mid Atlantic Archery products ProStaff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast