Archery Talk Forum banner

Fixed Broadheads that fly like Field Points

15K views 43 replies 30 participants last post by  findog 
#1 ·
I have heard that there are a few fixed blade boradheads that fly like field tips. Which ones are they, and would y'all recomend any of them? What is y'alls opinion of the crimson talon broadheads?

Thanks in advance for the replies:darkbeer:

#2 ·
Slick Tricks. I have yet to use them but have seen many shoot them and they are dead on. I'm switching to them this year. I couldn't believe they'd shoot like that but they do. Do a search and enter Slick Tricks and you'll see what kind of praise they get.

#4 ·
It's really all about how good your bow is tuned. My bow shoots 100 gr. WASP SST Hammers just like field points...

#5 ·
My bow shoots g5 Montec's exactly like my field points. They are easily resharpanable, and I've used the same head on 3 different deer. I would highly reccomend them.

#6 ·
tricks,stingers,wacems,simmons all fly good,as long as you have a good tuned bow and true spinning arrow most quality broadheads will fly.

as for the crimson head,i dont like the curved blades and they seem too thin.talked to alot of guys saying that the heads will break in the target or when pulling them out cause of the curved blades.i do not know from personal experience just from what i was told,but that enough for me to stay away.hope this helps.

maxx

#8 ·
I have used 2 broadheads that flew just like my field tips.

1. American Broadhead Sonicheads
2. Magnus Stingers

Here is a list of heads that flew real close ( and when i say that it was about 1-1.5 inch difference)

rocky Mountain Premiers
Magnus 2 blades (not stingers)
Satellite Mags

Here is a list of heads that i had to work with (align with fletching)

Thunderheads
Bear Razorheads
Muzzy 4 - blade

#9 ·
I shoot Wacems, Slick Trick, and Sonoran Mechanicals. I see less drop in the longer ranges( 50+ yards) with the Wacems', but that's just me. Don't want to get in to an argument over whose head is better. Lot's of good products out there today for you to choose from.:wink:

#16 ·
I see less drop in the longer ranges( 50+ yards) with the Wacems', but that's just me.
That's not just you. Mine are the same way. I tried like crazy to get the Tricks to hit the same, and got within a few inches, but still wasn't the same. Just this week I had some Winner's Choice strings put on, fully tuned, and the Tricks still shoot low. The Wac'ems are dead on with my field tips. I have tried moving the nock point up and down, and they just don't want to shoot the same. Anyone else using Tricks with 2" QS Speed Hunters? Maybe that's my problem, they are fighting each other with the spin???????:confused:

#10 ·
Wasp Boss Bullets fly exactly like my fieldpoints. 90 grain Muzzy's did off my Ultra Evolution years ago, but not my current setup. Not bad, just not exact. Sonics fly exactly like my fieldpoints, but did not get very good bloodtrails with them last year. Dead deer, but I'm glad my shots were perfect and I got to see the deer fall. I have heard great things about Slick Tricks, Magnus Stingers, Shuttle T-locks, Wasp Sharpshooter, Wac-em Tritons, and NAP Crossfires, but never tried them. Wish I could try all of them, but much too expensive. Anyone had any experience with the Shuttle T-Locks? Really thinking about giving them a try this year, but they would be a very expensive experiment if they didn't work out.

#12 ·
Talon XT's, awesome!

You will not be disappointed with the Talons, it's the most accurate head i have ever used in my 22 years of bowhunting.. Flies like a field point, goes through deer like a knife through hot butter and blood trails are second to none!!!

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=440695

#14 ·
talons

I have shot several different style fixed blades, thunderheads, muzzy, etc. a few years ago i switched to the crimson talons and i don't think anything could get me to try a different broadhead...they are absolutely DEVASTATING, i hunt with a couple of hard headed , not gonna change anything, guys and they are both now shooting crimson talons after they seen the damage they do.-- I dont take overly long shots (max 30 yds) and i dont take questionable shots but i also dont normally track deer very far but the distance that i do rack them has been reduced significantly since switching to the talons-- probably an average of 50 - 60 yards. They fly EXACTLY like my field points and are unbelievable on impact-- and not overly expensive either, the only down side that i.ve found is that each blade usually has to be replaced after each kill--they get a little serrated look to them after a kill - which i never noticed with the thunderheads- but they are so devastating that its worth it to me to sacrifice a blade for a quick clean kill.

#18 ·
There is nothing special about ANY fixed broadhead that makes them fly like field points. Your question is getting the cart before the horse. Tune your bow and any good fixed blade will fly like your field points, i.e. the secret to good broadhead flight is not in your broadhead, it's in your bow.

#20 ·
That's not necessarily the case. I read a good article and "Bow and Arrow Hunting" recently which stated that fixed heads with more compact design (e.g. slick tricks) will fly more like field points. This becomes less and less of an issue as your speed decreases. 290 fps is what the article mentioned as the speed in which you will need to shoot mechs or compact bhs.

#19 ·
last year i bought some sonic 100 grain heads and took them outside to shoot. First i shot one field tipped arrow. Then i got out the sonic and split the first arrow. shot a couple more times then put everything up and smiled.:)

never tried them on a deer yet but they penetrate my block target like nothing i've ever seen

#23 ·
bow tuning

It always comes down to people saying "the bow has to be tuned perfectly ". While I agree our bows should be reasonably tuned, not all archers have the knowledge, time, energy and put in the effort to tune their bow to shoot any broadhead perfectly. If you are one of those hunters, which most hunters probably are, I think you should probably shoot a small diameter broadhead or a mechanical. The smaller diameter broadheads typically shoot better because they tend to NOT Steer the arrow, letting the vanes do their job,. Mechanical typically are much easier to shoot as well. I have tried many different fixed blades and have ultimately decided to shoot mechs. because of consistancy of flight and ease of tuning.

#24 ·
I have heard that there are a few fixed blade boradheads that fly like field tips.
You heard wrong!

There's lots of fixed-blade heads that fly just like field points.

palmer said:
There is nothing special about ANY fixed broadhead that makes them fly like field points. Your question is getting the cart before the horse. Tune your bow and any good fixed blade will fly like your field points, i.e. the secret to good broadhead flight is not in your broadhead, it's in your bow.
...and properly spined arrows with adequate fletching.

Skewerer said:
That's not necessarily the case. I read a good article and "Bow and Arrow Hunting" recently which stated that fixed heads with more compact design (e.g. slick tricks) will fly more like field points. This becomes less and less of an issue as your speed decreases. 290 fps is what the article mentioned as the speed in which you will need to shoot mechs or compact bhs.
Seems the expert writers keep changing their mind. I remember when they said we couldn't shoot any broadhead past 220 with accuracy, then the said it was 240, then 270...now its 290 for the itty bitty ones...Hope they realize that the faster an arrow flies, the more drag is exerted on the rear of the arrow one of these days. It just needs to start out straight.

#26 ·
Alot of hunters use mechanicals as an easy way out of taking the time to get their bows shooting like they should.. I know that not everyone has the know how or they don't want to take the time to get their bows right.. There are plenty of knowledgeable people and plenty of bow shops to help these people out..
I'm not bashing the people that shoot mechanicals because they want the huge blood trails but the people that shoot mechanicals because their regular heads barrel roll their way to the target need help!!!

I believe that everyone should strive to get their bow in tune..
Do the animals we all love the justice they deserve and do it right!!!

#38 ·
Another vote for the tricks just shot mine and they were right on the money. The only other broadhead that I have shot with those results was the talons. However the blades broke easily but I have heard that they are making them thicker now.

#43 ·
Slick tricks hit with my field tips when I knew my bow was out of tune with some timing issues.

I had a buddy trying to sell me on them, I shot them before the bow was tuned, wham, right with the field tips. Slick tricks and montecs have been the best I've tried as far as it being easy to get them to fly true.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.