a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Boat Batteries

Boat Batteries

Just figured I'd see what y'all were using out there.

I've got 4 of them in my little unit and had to replace the motor battery last year, now it appears I've got two more that are going . . .

I know, should have done all four at the same time, but some of them "marine" batteries are expensive.

hybred RV/marine

I too am looking.

I bought one about 18 months ago and it's junk.

Need a new one for the bow mount.

The last 3 I bought were AC Delco Voyager's I got 6 years out of the M30 I used for the bow mount trolling motor. A m27 for the starting. The M27 I am still using after 9 years.

Have a M27 on the pontoon boat for the last 5 years.

A friend of mine had 2 M30's in his house boat for 9 years.

I'll never buy a Interstate or Exide again in my life. I don't think I ever got more than 2 years out of either. Plus a weak 2nd year.

Optima's are nice, but geeezzz! How expensive!
    Mike, proud member of the NCWID!
    USA
    PROUD MEMBER OF OHM RESISTANCE
    AR34 RAM.5 / PSE Bow Madness 32 Extreme sights, WB rests

Surely we're not the only two whose looking for batteries and recommendations . . . . .

Smile

find some batteries made for farm tractors, they are the same batteries, jsut a lot cheaper, especially if your buying 3-4

Iowa City, IA. La Grange, IL. Traverse City, MI
    Depends what you want the battery for.

There are two main types you'll be looking at, cranking batteries, or deep cycle.

These are different animals. A cranking battery is designed to put out some juice, quickly. It gets your engine going, and is perfect for starting, and then driving. It does not like to be discharged very much, so you start it, run the engine, which charges it up again. So its not really that discharged ever. Then the deep cycle. Deep cycle batteries allow you to discharge the battery to a very low state, and recharge repeatedly. With out the battery going to crud on you.

My favorite batteries are the Optima sealed batteries, you can place them on any angle, upside down etc. You can submerge them. And they are very long lasting.

Another brand is Deka, i've had good luck with their automotive batteries.

Surprisingly the Exide marine batteries work well, we have one in an I/O that gets used ~once a summer and its been good for 2 winters that way.

The farm tractor idea is interesting. Check it out.

The best marine battery I have ever owned was a duralast from autozone. I've had it at least 7-8 years and it's still going strong. The next one I'll buy will probably be an optima, I hear they are very good.

Quote Originally Posted by 88 PS190 View Post
    Depends what you want the battery for.

There are two main types you'll be looking at, cranking batteries, or deep cycle.

These are different animals. A cranking battery is designed to put out some juice, quickly. It gets your engine going, and is perfect for starting, and then driving. It does not like to be discharged very much, so you start it, run the engine, which charges it up again. So its not really that discharged ever. Then the deep cycle. Deep cycle batteries allow you to discharge the battery to a very low state, and recharge repeatedly. With out the battery going to crud on you.

My favorite batteries are the Optima sealed batteries, you can place them on any angle, upside down etc. You can submerge them. And they are very long lasting.

Another brand is Deka, i've had good luck with their automotive batteries.

Surprisingly the Exide marine batteries work well, we have one in an I/O that gets used ~once a summer and its been good for 2 winters that way.

The farm tractor idea is interesting. Check it out.

optima is best battery you can buy i use two on my trolling motor and can fish 3 trips before i need to charge

My Basstracker came with two Interstate batteries. One for cranking and one for trolling. Replaced the cranking battery last year (5 years) and replaces the trolling battery this year (6 years) The trolling battery still has some life left to it but it looses it's "umph" a lot quicker than it usually does.

That Wal-Mart RV/Marine deep cycle battery has performed wonderful. I thought I would save a few bucks and try it out.

I would have to give a nod to the Interstate Marine batteries, excellent batteries......
    Life Member of North American Hunting Club
    West Virginia Bowhunters Assoc.
    Mathews Reezen
    Magnus broadheads

"Montani Semper Liberi" (Mountaineers are always free)

hi

I'm on alot of fishing forums and have heard it all/ lol.
    From all the guys/girls that are really looking for a good battery, get the walmart "muli purpose batteries"...deep cyc. type.
    27 to 31 types. If your ever anywhere in any state,theres always a walmart aorund and they will return no questions mostly.Just put em in a cart and wheel em in? New batteries if they do go bad. Other batteries are harder to get from alot of other co.'s.Most guys are getting 4 to 6yrs. from them.

Right now I'm running a optima "blue top 31 mutli purpose battery" for cranking. Running 3 sonars/GPS units, live wells etc.And yes your out board alternator is only made to charge a top drained battery that just started your big Motor? Not to recharge a depleted battery,as stated in the above post. Thats why you need a bigger battery now days with all the electrical units running, not really a no#24 as before,but a 27 to 31 is much better. I run two 27's for tolling motor.
    Thanks for reading ,just a 2 cents
    Bill
    Mathews z7
    Vapor Trial Strings
    goldtips,slick tricks
    copper john battleax