Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Road Trip and Frozen Meat..Help.. 18 hour drive

Thumbs up Road Trip and Frozen Meat..Help.. 18 hour drive

I am going on a Elk and Mule deer hunt this year in Idaho (October) We are Road tripping this one with a 18 hour drive. (3 Guys) Here is my Question.
    We are taking alot of ice chest each hunter should have 150 to 200 quarts per person. what are some of the ways you have hauled meat on a long trip. how long will quick frozen meat last in a ice chest filled to the gills and sealed?? thanks for your help... Overnight shipping the meat is out of the question.. $$$

CODE OF MANHOOD
    1. Glorify God in all we do...2. Love our wife...3. Train and Shape our Children their a Gift from God..4. Be Obedient to Scripture (The Bible)
    08 Bowtech Allegiance 60lbs @ 290fps ...355gr Flatline 400
    11 Bowtech Destroyer 340 66lbs @ 311fps...394gr Gold Tip XT Hunter 7595

Dry Ice

The best way to transport meat and keep it frozen is to use dry ice. The grocery stores sell it here.

We did it last year to CO, dry ice is the way, our meat was frozen when we got home, you can buy it, just ask around, we also built a big cooler to trailer up to put our game in, on the way up it stored our sleeping gear.

I go from central Texas to Wisconsin every year on a fishing trip. It's about a 22 hour trip and I've brought frozen fish and meat(venison) back every year.
    Just be sure it is FROZEN, then pack it in ice. I've never had a problem. I've made the trip 7 or 8 times and ocassionally stopped at a motel for 4-5 hrs sleep. (Those 5 Day Extreme Coolers from Walmart really work, even in the Texas heat.) I also use a 200 qt Marine ice chest. Works fine.
    Jim

I went charter boat fishing off of North Carolina in the atlantic for mackeral, we had some left over and I put it in a cooler with dry ice. Stayed frozen for two days in the trunk while driving home to Michigan in August heat.

18 Hrs is a piece of cake with a good cooler.

If you use regular ice, set your coolers up so that you can drain the melted ice every time you get gas.

I don't think you will need to add any but it wouldn't hurt to check.

Use a tarp or two to cover the coolers.

It really makes a difference on keeping what is inside cold.

Another thing is to clearly label the meat packages.

As you travel across state lines the rules change.

Ohio for instance wants the hunters name & license and kill location on each package (I believe).

Florida wants proof of sex w/all wild meat till you get it home.

Seems to me some states are really worried about CWD and have rules about bringing meat into their state from other places.

They are also getting real cranky about transporting "Elm wood " across a state line.

Not trying to steal the thread or rain on your parade, but, transporting wild game can be tricky.

Hell, I had an Ohio game warden threaten to write me up for not having a metal tag on my rattling antlers.

If you are transporting flash frozen meat, it sounds like you are having a processor prepping it for you. Call him BEFORE you leave for the hunt and get cooler suggestions.

IMHO

You don't need to worry...there are no elk left in Idaho! Just Kidding!

I've seen guys put a chest freezer and generator in the back of their truck before with good long-term results. The dry ice is readily available in the grocery stores and will serve your purpose well, though. Just make sure to insulate the meat from direct contact with the ice. An old blanket or newspaper will do the trick.
    Hunt hard, learn something everyday in the woods, never give in, and that's the moment the big bull will step out broadside.

Bring a GPS. It's awkward to eat your hunting partners.

Recently returned to the Promised Land (Texas)
    Dry ice is the way to go.

Make sure you have enough coolers. Dad and I went to CO last year and each got a cow. We each had a 120 qt and then 1 48 qt that we shared. We had just enough room for a couple of chunks of dry ice in each cooler. If you're hoping for an elk and a mulie, I might plan on more than 150 qts/person...just in case everyone fills their tags.
    Texan by birth,
    Aggie by the grace of God

120 Qt cooler will not hold an elk by itself.

I had mine processed and it took 120 Qt just for the burger, took another 48 Qt for the steaks and roast.
    then another small cooler just for the cape.

if all three of you get elk you better look into donating some of it to the locals,,,,,,,which is always a good thing

Dry Ice

Quote Originally Posted by Wackem View Post
    The best way to transport meat and keep it frozen is to use dry ice. The grocery stores sell it here.
    yup...dry ice

Last season I saw a truck pulling a landscape trailer with a chest freezer and generator pushed to the front of the trailer and a quad behind that and they must have scored since they had 2 big elk racks strapped to the quad. So it must work since it was also mentioned above also.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Wackem View Post
    Never lost my game meat doing it this way.... Its the best way.... Dry Ice... even on planes I have got by with it.

I have one of these. I've had stuff stay frozen for at least 5 days on hunting trips and post hurricanes. Not cheap but well worth it in my opinion. My uncle always did the chest freezer in the back of the truck and it worked year after year from Alaska and back with fish etc...

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...=cat20093&rid=

freeze the meat completely wrap it tight when you pack it in the cooler pack wadded up news paper around it for insulation and then put dry ice in it and seal the cooler it will be frozen when you get home.

Ya what they said. Biggest thing is spend the money on a good cooler and stay away from the ones with the little trap doors on top. You loose alot of insulation

I saw this done last year. Get a small generator and a chest freezer and put it on a trailer while driving run the gen once and a while, do the same while there. The guys I saw doing it were at a gas station, so I asked them about it. They said they have tried the cooler thing for years and this is way easier and better.

dry ice will last over 24 hrs we drove from MN to FL 32 hrs and meat was still frozen. use 8 lbs of dry ice per cooler for 24hrs. the deep freezer with generator works too if you got a trailer
    2010 G5 Primal, 72lbs, 28in draw, Trophy Taker Smack Down, G5 Optix XR, 5575 GT XT Hunters, Magnus Stingers 100gr,

Quote Originally Posted by keep View Post
    I saw this done last year. Get a small generator and a chest freezer and put it on a trailer while driving run the gen once and a while, do the same while there. The guys I saw doing it were at a gas station, so I asked them about it. They said they have tried the cooler thing for years and this is way easier and better.
    If you have the means, that is the way to go.
    NYS Certified Bowhunting Instructor
    New York Bowhunters Inc. - County Rep

I don't freeze my meat. I just put it in the cooler with some ice to keep it cool on the way home. Just gives me a jump start on the aging process.
    Texas heart shooter.

we used a old freezer that did not work and ripped the compressor and any thing else that was not needed out put it in the back of the truck and used dry ice it was the biggest cooler around worked great
    duck tape the lid shut

We have used the small freezer and a generator for years, works great. Once the freezer is cold you will only have to run the generator about every second gas fill up. We use this set up every year now for our archery moose hunt, never find enough coolers to pack home a moose or two. We also used the freezer for a late August caribou hunt when we drove to Fermont Quebec and flew out of there, about 18-20 hour drive home.

I use a 250 qt cooler,regular Ice and cover it all with my sleeping bag to help insulate the chest. I want to try to keep my game cold but not frozen. If I have had the game butchered and wrapped then I will bye the dry ice to keep it frozen.
    Wife of 13 years, Diagnosed Aug 2013- Triple Negative Invasive Ductile Carcinoma of an aggressive nature.
    Catch Breast Cancer early "Save a life, Feel a breast today."
    Strength for the fighters - Peace for the survivors- Prayers for the taken.

I have done the freezer thing and used coolers. Both work. I personally like to get my elk packed and wrapped fast frozen and they drive it back in dry ice. Make sure you wrap the dry ice in paper and tape it up. Also seal the cooler with duck tape. If the Dry ice hits air it will disappear fast. If you do use regular ice keep it off the meat. Water and meat do not mix well.
    T ZZZZ

RER and Big River Longbows
    Hoyt Cybertec and Maxxis
    FMJ and VPA

Quote Originally Posted by female hunter View Post
    Never lost my game meat doing it this way.... Its the best way.... Dry Ice... even on planes I have got by with it.
    Note that you're pretty restricted with they quantity of dry ice on commercial air carriers these days.
    Regards,

Pete

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast