Thread: Bull Elk vs. Cow Elk vs. Mulie scat.... any pictures?

Question Bull Elk vs. Cow Elk vs. Mulie scat.... any pictures?

Last year when we were hunting elk in CO, we were in an area with alot of Mulies and beef cattle. Now the beef cattle dung is obvious, but we somtimes felt that we didn't know the difference between Cow Elk scat and Mulie scat. We think we knew what we were looking at when scoping Bull Elk scat.

Anyone got any pictures comparing them and showing the differences?

I'm assuming that the Bull Elk scat is clumped up togther kinda like whitetail buck scat.

Help a brother out here fellas!

-ZA
    BLACK WIDOW PSAII RECURVE - "DARK HEART" - 54# @ 28"
    BOWTECH CAPTAIN - 70# @ 29"

GO CLEMSON TIGERS!!!
    ZA's UCR's (Utility Constrictor Ropes)

Here's some Wyoming Elk Poop

As far as muley v elk crap, the size alone will tell you the difference. Elk crap is much bigger. You can also taste it, and elk crap tastes more like grass, while muley crap tastes like bushes. To be honest I don't think there is a real way to tell a cow elk's crap from a bull's. Cows can crap in clumps and bulls crap in pebbles. Again the difference would be the size. Their intestines and bungholes should be pretty much the same.
    The One Bow: Black Carbon Matrix with camo limbs
    Axcel and sure-loc sights
    Gold Tips Arrows
    Carter releases

Elk Crap is gonna vary depending on what they're eating. It can go from pebbles (hard mast) to clumps of pebbles to just plain runny (soft grassy forage). Size and the tracks around it tell the story. Never heard you could tell bull from cow, even though I know bullcrap when I see it.

Maybe it was mulie buck crap that is in clumps like whitetail buck crap.

Hmmm......

For those that know mulie and whitetail scat.... are they about the same size? If so, that will DEFINATELY tip me off, as I know what whitetail scat looks like (buck and doe).

Thanks guys...

-ZA

Quote Originally Posted by nogood_rounder View Post
    Elk Crap is gonna vary depending on what they're eating. It can go from pebbles (hard mast) to clumps of pebbles to just plain runny (soft grassy forage). Size and the tracks around it tell the story. Never heard you could tell bull from cow, even though I know bullcrap when I see it.

GO CLEMSON TIGERS!!!

If I remember correctly.... elk scat was about the same size as whole pecans. Is that about right?

Thanks.

-ZA

Quote Originally Posted by SwietsRick View Post
    Here's some Wyoming Elk Poop

GO CLEMSON TIGERS!!!

When they're individual pellets they usually can cover a nickel. The turds I see aren't round but have irregular faceted sides. Deer turds, especially mulies are usually oblong and round. I'll try to get some photos for ya this weekend, but it'll cost ya a

That sounds about right... a whole pecan is about the size of your thumb (tip to the first joint... maybe a little longer). That would definately cover a nickel.

I'll buy you a when I see ya in the elk woods!

-ZA

Quote Originally Posted by nogood_rounder View Post
    When they're individual pellets they usually can cover a nickel. The turds I see aren't round but have irregular faceted sides. Deer turds, especially mulies are usually oblong and round. I'll try to get some photos for ya this weekend, but it'll cost ya a

GO CLEMSON TIGERS!!!

Muley and elk are noticably different. Deer is much closer to rabbit turds. Elk is noticably bigger but I would say the size of an individual pellet is about the same diameter as a nickel at best. Moose crap is about the size of your thumb to your first joint and often pretty brown. Elk is usually same color as deer. Dark colored.

Ok i've had enough crap for one day.
    Quote Originally Posted by BO HNTR View Post
    An ARCHER sees how far he can get from his target and still hit it.......a BOWHUNTER sees how close he can get before he hits his target. JMO
    RIP John
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhames
    Watching those hunting shows is a little like reading Playboy. Those big racks are out there but they're few and far between, easier to spot than to get one of your own, and if you do get one, it usually costs quite a bit to mount it.

Hey dumby....tired of your arrows falling out of your quiver? Save yourself 200 bucks.....turn it over!

Maybe I do spend too much time in the brush....looking out.It's time better spent then at the truck....looking out!

not much difference in size/shape/color between muleys and whitetails...as far as poo goes anyway.

(this is my first post about poo...i promise)

Here I am showing a novice elkhunter the only reliable method to determine if these are truly elk droppings and the age of them and what they have been eating. Of course he had to take a picture of it for educational purposes. Bear droppings are easier to recognize and taste like pepper if it's grizzly. Sadly enough no alcohol was involved we are just this crazy in our unaltered state.
    RG
    Attached Images Attached Images

Clumped scat in whitetail areas does not mean it was a buck.

I'm kinda disapointed ZA...

After all this time, I cant believe you dont know crap
    “The credit belongs to the man who's actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes up short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotion and spends himself in a worthy cause; who best knows at the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that this place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither.” Teddy R.

20 minute old bull elk poo.

I had to answer to my wife while she reviewed pictures last night.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard

Quote Originally Posted by Bobmuley View Post
    20 minute old bull elk poo. Ya, looks like it always does.

I had to answer to my wife while she reviewed pictures last night.
    My wife would be surprised if she didn't find any piles of crap on any of my hunting or scouting pictures. This year I brought home a nice picture of about a 5lb pile of bear crap.
    2006 LH Bowtech Old Glory 70#, 32 1/2" draw, back to the Hostage rest, SH 7-pin Hunter, 500gr TR Crush 300 @ 285fps.
    2007 LH Bowtech Commander 60#, 32" draw, Limbdriver rest, BG 5-pin Flashpoint.
    2014 PSE Freak SP 70#, 32" draw, not set up yet.

You guys are talking a lot of crap...