Archery Talk Forum banner

Bull Elk vs. Cow Elk vs. Mulie scat.... any pictures?

27K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  coloradodave 
#1 ·
Last year when we were hunting elk in CO, we were in an area with alot of Mulies and beef cattle. Now the beef cattle dung is obvious, but we somtimes felt that we didn't know the difference between Cow Elk scat and Mulie scat. We think we knew what we were looking at when scoping Bull Elk scat.

Anyone got any pictures comparing them and showing the differences?

I'm assuming that the Bull Elk scat is clumped up togther kinda like whitetail buck scat.

Help a brother out here fellas!

-ZA

#3 ·
As far as muley v elk crap, the size alone will tell you the difference. Elk crap is much bigger. You can also taste it, and elk crap tastes more like grass, while muley crap tastes like bushes. To be honest I don't think there is a real way to tell a cow elk's crap from a bull's. Cows can crap in clumps and bulls crap in pebbles. Again the difference would be the size. Their intestines and bungholes should be pretty much the same.

#4 ·
Elk Crap is gonna vary depending on what they're eating. It can go from pebbles (hard mast) to clumps of pebbles to just plain runny (soft grassy forage). Size and the tracks around it tell the story. Never heard you could tell bull from cow, even though I know bullcrap when I see it:wink:.

#5 ·
Maybe it was mulie buck crap that is in clumps like whitetail buck crap.

Hmmm......

For those that know mulie and whitetail scat.... are they about the same size? If so, that will DEFINATELY tip me off, as I know what whitetail scat looks like (buck and doe).

Thanks guys...

-ZA

#9 ·
Muley and elk are noticably different. Deer is much closer to rabbit turds. Elk is noticably bigger but I would say the size of an individual pellet is about the same diameter as a nickel at best. Moose crap is about the size of your thumb to your first joint and often pretty brown. Elk is usually same color as deer. Dark colored.

Ok i've had enough crap for one day.

#12 ·
Here I am showing a novice elkhunter the only reliable method to determine if these are truly elk droppings and the age of them and what they have been eating. :pukey: Of course he had to take a picture of it for educational purposes. Bear droppings are easier to recognize and taste like pepper if it's grizzly. Sadly enough no alcohol was involved we are just this crazy in our unaltered state. :tongue:
RG

Attachments

#14 ·
I'm kinda disapointed ZA...

After all this time, I cant believe you dont know crap:wink:

#15 ·
20 minute old bull elk poo.

I had to answer to my wife while she reviewed pictures last night.:eek:

Attachments

#16 ·
20 minute old bull elk poo. Ya, looks like it always does.

I had to answer to my wife while she reviewed pictures last night.:eek:
My wife would be surprised if she didn't find any piles of crap on any of my hunting or scouting pictures.;) This year I brought home a nice picture of about a 5lb pile of bear crap.:thumbs_up

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.