Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Broadhead Tuning Day Today

Excellent graphical help, Doc! That's going to help a lot of people on here, because all of us have to go through those exact same steps to insure that we can hit what we aim at in the coming months. As dedicated archers, we're always tweaking, changing, and playing around with our bows as well as working them hard and damaging them in the woods. These steps must be done every time anything changes a tiny amount. Great work!
    Hunt hard, learn something everyday in the woods, never give in, and that's the moment the big bull will step out broadside.

Bring a GPS. It's awkward to eat your hunting partners.

What kind of target is that?

Quote Originally Posted by MN Doe Hunter View Post
    What kind of target is that?
    That is the Rinehart 18-in1

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    That is the Rinehart 18-in1
    Been thinking about getting one of those. How did it handle the BHs?
    Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison

Quote Originally Posted by HoytFlinger View Post
    Been thinking about getting one of those. How did it handle the BHs?
    Quite well. I went and shot the Strikers some more today (shredded some Blazers in the process). Rinehart guarantees the target from pass-throughs for one full year including broadhead use Those Strikers sure do try to get through it, but no dice yet.

I received several PM's asking how close is close enough. This all depends on your shooting ability. If you normally shoot 3 inch groups with field points at 30 yards and can keep your broadhead in that 3 inches, then you are good-to-go. If you can only hold a 6 inch group, then your BH's should be in that 6 inch area. I like to get them this close though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Doc, how do you know whether to move the rest or the sight? Why is it that the BH and FP land in different locations but by moving the sight and rest they eventually land in the same place? Is that the initual tuning or done after you paper tuned? Do you shoot through paper afterwards to make sure that the arrow is flying straight? At what distance shout you put the paper at when shooting through? Sorry for all the questions but I am trying to become a better archer and still have a lot to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by greenhornet View Post
    Doc, how do you know whether to move the rest or the sight? Why is it that the BH and FP land in different locations but by moving the sight and rest they eventually land in the same place? Is that the initual tuning or done after you paper tuned? Do you shoot through paper afterwards to make sure that the arrow is flying straight? At what distance shout you put the paper at when shooting through? Sorry for all the questions but I am trying to become a better archer and still have a lot to learn.
    This is a common misconception and area of frustration for many. This is why I posted a step-by-step instruction of what I moved when. The whole goal to BH tuning is to get the same point of impact (POI) for your BH and FP's. Therefore moving your sight is not going to tune anything. You adjust your rest until your BH and FP's are grouping together. It doesn't matter if they are hitting where you are aiming (aiming at center X the whole time), only if they are hitting together. Once you get them to hit together, you are BH tuned and now it's time to set your sight for their POI. After you get them to group together and adjust your sight to the proper POI...you are done...good-to-go. Forget paper. If you go back to paper, you are just going to have to BH tune again. If you are going to paper tune, do this to get things close before BH tuning.
    Make sense?

Great post doc

genius! thanks again DOC

What about walkback tuning? Does this still fit into the equation somewhere, or is it an either/or thing? To me it would seem that broadhead tuning might negate any effects gained from walkback tuning and vice versa...
    Why do I get involved in all of the expensive hobbies??

'07 Elite Envy
    '07 Martin Scepter4 Nitrous Mag

Quote Originally Posted by MikeStod View Post
    What about walkback tuning? Does this still fit into the equation somewhere, or is it an either/or thing? To me it would seem that broadhead tuning might negate any effects gained from walkback tuning and vice versa...
    You can walk-back tune prior to BH tuning, but if you are truly BH tuned (done at various distances) then there is no reason to walk-back tune.
    If you were to paper tune and then walk-back tune, your BH tuning should only require minimal adjustments. BH's show tuning flaws more so than FP's.

Great post Doc

Awsome info here. Noticed something though....You show BH and FP shots for every shot except for FP #2...Any reason? Or am I just being anal (like my wife tells me when it comes to my hunting stuff)? Great post either way, and a big THANK YOU.
    Brad

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrasshunter View Post
    Awsome info here. Noticed something though....You show BH and FP shots for every shot except for FP #2...Any reason? Or am I just being anal (like my wife tells me when it comes to my hunting stuff)? Great post either way, and a big THANK YOU.
    Brad
    Brad thanks. I didn't shoot an FP that round. Just wanted to shoot BH to see how much more adjustment was needed to get it in X. After the BH was center x, then I shot FP's to see how the two were grouping.

Just wondering.

Brad thanks. I didn't shoot an FP that round. Just wanted to shoot BH to see how much more adjustment was needed to get it in X. After the BH was center x, then I shot FP's to see how the two were grouping.
    Thanks. I'll be finishing up my BH tuning and sight in this afternoon after work.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrasshunter View Post
    Thanks. I'll be finishing up my BH tuning and sight in this afternoon after work.
    Great, let us know how it goes.

Thanks Doc, I will be giving that a try shortly. I have not shot my broadheads yet with my new bow but now I know what to do if they are off. I must say that this is a great site for new shooters to gain knowledge.

Awesome Doc, Now come over and do mine

JIM

Thumbs up Great thread Doc

The success ratios will improve this year!
    ArcheryTalk is a Gun Free Zone. Check out www.GunTalkWorld.com for gun related items.
    Sending payment via PayPal Gift option? Bad idea

Smile thanks doc

I am new to bow shooting and have that very same problem now. i sighted my bow in @ 20 yards and then put my practice G5 montec( 100 gr) bh on and it was very low and i did not know why!!!! I am offshore right now but will be sighting my bow for bh using this explanation. i have a HOYT turbotec bow do you think i should sight my bow in @ 20 yards or 25 yards that way the difference between a 20 yard shot and 30 yard shot will not be very much. thanks again i just found this web site and i have already learned something new. I love shooting my bow. Is ther some where else on here that i can learn about shooting a bow the correct way!!!!

DOC
    I am sighting in my bow, and have just started shooting BHs. I am hitting about 3 inches apart. I have never adjusted my rest. I guess my ? is should I start over and tune the way you say if so. what should my starting point be?
    I just found this site and what a find can see I rookie like me can learn alot

Quote Originally Posted by spnsmith View Post
    do you think i should sight my bow in @ 20 yards or 25 yards that way the difference between a 20 yard shot and 30 yard shot will not be very much.
    Sight marks are personal preference for the most part based upon your shooting ability, hunting area and pursued game. I like to set both a 20 and 30 rather than split the difference. Some guys will set a 25 and hold high or low depending on the shot.

Quote Originally Posted by luvemhot View Post
    DOC
    I am sighting in my bow, and have just started shooting BHs. I am hitting about 3 inches apart. I have never adjusted my rest. I guess my ? is should I start over and tune the way you say if so. what should my starting point be?
    I just found this site and what a find can see I rookie like me can learn alot
    You can just go ahead and broadhead tune. If you are only 3 inches apart, then some minor rest adjustments will get you grouping FP's and BH's together.

Quote Originally Posted by RxBowhunter View Post
    The success ratios will improve this year!
    Thanks and let's hope this is the case. The more "look at my deer" threads, the better

Thanks, but I guess it is relatively simple IF you have eliminated any contact issues (aka vane clearance) and your arrows are matched with your rig (that is within factory spec) and the bow is somewhat in tune to start with.
    Really is the key to simplified tuning....all you're doing is tuning, not trying to make something work that doesn't want to.
    The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard

Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast