a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Vanes bent - will they straighten?

Question Vanes bent - will they straighten?

I purchased some used arrows and got a great deal, roughly $3 per shaft, cut to length with inserts and nocks installed. I have not checked them all to ensure that there are no cracked arrows - will be doing this later.

The arrows were fletched with Blazers. The manner in which the arrows were packed bent most of the fletching. Will they straighten back out now that they're out of the package?

If not, and I need to have the refletched, what does refletching a dozen arrows typically run with Blazers (if I have someone do them)...

I have fletching jigs and may try this myself, but my experience is with cedar arrows and 5.5" feathers, not the slim carbon arrows and vanes.

I havent had any experience with blazers but try a blow dryer on them and see if that straightens them out
    johns Customs strings,GoldTip,Xtreme Stabilization,Dave Stepp Archery, available to support archery

Hair dryer will work or a heat gun on a low setting also works.
    My bows are Crackerized How about yours? Often imitated but never duplicated !!!!!!Crackers Edition
    '06 Declaration lll 27" draw 58lbs 344gr arrow 284 fpsCarters Archery. Pm me for contact information

http://www.truball.com/

Thanks a ton. I'll try that.

You can also try a steaming tea kettle. Run the vanes through the steam for 10 seconds or so, and that'll help straighten them.

Vanes bent - will they straighten?

Quote Originally Posted by musicman View Post
    You can also try a steaming tea kettle. Run the vanes through the steam for 10 seconds or so, and that'll help straighten them.
    I use this. Kettle or old burner type coffed pot, but if steaming good you don't need 10 seconds.
    Pearson MarXman, Limb Driver Pro, Muddy Virtue HT3s, Bohning vanes, Sure Loc Challenger,
    Super Ball Peep, Stanislawski MagMicro Trio, Deuce, Blackjack and TRU Ball ST360, 30" Stinger
    with Stinger back bars.

well, here's another trick if they're bent up at the shoot.....

hold em in the exhaust stream of a warmed up engine. the moist heat will straightem out real quick. just be carefull if you fletched with a superglue....most are heat releaseable around 230 deg F
    When the war is over soldiers come home, SAILORS dont. WE will always stand a vigilant watch to protect YOUR way of life.
    It's not that I'm cranky, I just dont care what you think.
    Google isnt all that difficult to use, i'm not gonna spoon feed you info that you're too lazy to look up.

Quote Originally Posted by jnwaco View Post
    Thanks a ton. I'll try that.
    Be careful so you don't melt them, though. I did that on accident the first time I tried it. Hope I'm not to late to tell you this.

Actually, I haven't tried this yet, but I am about to. If I melt them, I refletch. If this works, then I don't refletch. I really don't think I have too much to lose. This has been extremely helpful. I'll let you know how this works. I have quite a few arrows to do.

Thanks a ton.

Okay, this worked to some extent. I've been through about a dozen of the arrows so far. Some were just improperly fletched to begin with (not equally spaced on shaft). The rest look good so far. Thanks for the tips!

I shoot the small diameter shafts with Blazers and have had an issue of shooting through some older targets on our range, which leaves a good wrinkle in the fletch. I've dipped them in a glass of super hot water for about 5 seconds and they straighten when they cool. Best of luck and good shootin'.

Thanks again. These vanes weren't "wrinkled" per se - but rather they were laid over so that they didn't stand out from the shaft at equal angles. Some of the arrows were just fletched incorrectly, and those I will try to fix or have fixed.