Thread: Apple Archery string serving machine!!

Apple Archery string serving machine!!

Anyone have one of these serving machines,seen one or have a picture of one? I am looking into getting a serving machine and at the price of them I feel I should take a good look at all on the market before purchasing one. So if you have one could you take some pics of it and post them. Thank you

Thompson Performance Strings
    Copper John ANTS / CR Apex
    Trophy Taker / CX / TPE Dots

nobody has a picture of one? Wow! they must not sell many. At $3500 it may not be worth it for most I guess but I would figure out how to pay for it if its really worth it

Travis
    They are nice but the ROI is pretty slim imho. Not much speed gain on the build end but the serving is much faster-though not as controlled as hand served-looked like it was easy to get the feel (I looked closely at them two years ago). Guy in MN is using some attachment he built for a Beiter Winder to speed up the solocam serving.
    Like I said nice machine.

BT

Thanks Bruce doing some looking really need to get caught up so I can get some sleep for once. Im sure you feel the same every now and then. Do you use the Beiter winder alot? How many pounds you stretching at?

Have you looked at Deezlin's Little Jon auto server?

Cya!

This thread has pictures of the one I built. It is actually pretty simple and cost less than $500 drill and all. I assume it is similar in design to the Apple one, although I've never seen one. http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=464240

Yes I have seen the Little jon server and seemed pretty pricy for what it is. I understand he has to charge that much do to the cost of manufacturing and the few amount of units he will sell. I need a seperate machine from my building jig so I can have a string stretching while I'm serving another one on the motorized unit. I cant have the server taking up time on my main jig. Still wainting on Pics of the Apple and have some tips on some custom jig builders that build to my specs. thank you all for the help. Any other pics available out there?

Yes I have seen the Little jon server and seemed pretty pricy for what it is. I understand he has to charge that much do to the cost of manufacturing and the few amount of units he will sell. I need a seperate machine from my building jig so I can have a string stretching while I'm serving another one on the motorized unit. I cant have the server taking up time on my main jig. Still waiting on Pics of the Apple and have some tips on some custom jig builders that build to my specs. thank you all for the help. Any other pics available out there?

Quote Originally Posted by WIHoyt View Post
    Yes I have seen the Little jon server and seemed pretty pricy for what it is. I understand he has to charge that much do to the cost of manufacturing and the few amount of units he will sell. I need a seperate machine from my building jig so I can have a string stretching while I'm serving another one on the motorized unit. I cant have the server taking up time on my main jig. Still waiting on Pics of the Apple and have some tips on some custom jig builders that build to my specs. thank you all for the help. Any other pics available out there?
    I believe the apple catalog has a pic of the serving machine in it.

Ben

thats how I found out about it my cousin saw it in there. He said it was a bad pic and it was in black and white so he couldnt make it out. I am going to call Apple tommorow and see if they can email me pics. Looks like it will most likely going to be a custom job after pming with eric griggs but still its a big investment and its smart to look at all the options. be nice if I could try them all first. I really want to get away from using a serving tool at all on the long servings. keep the posts coming though nice to get everyones input

here you go!

Ben

thank you very much does look pretty nice but $3700? you think it worth it?

thank you very much does look pretty nice but $3700? you think it worth it?
    If I was getting into the business, maybe. Serving is definitely the most time consuming part, but I just do my own strings, and some friends. I do like the tensioner though. It would have to be about a third of that price for me to even consider it!

I hear you there I guess I was expecting more for for $3700. I know some are over $8000 but they do much more. doesnt seem like it could handle the tensions that im serving at either. what the rest of you think?

I hear you there I guess I was expecting more for for $3700. I know some are over $8000 but they do much more. doesnt seem like it could handle the tensions that im serving at either. what the rest of you think?
    I guess you call them, and ask what kind of tensions they get. They were pretty short with me when asked about the price of the server, but I was in shock also!

Ben

Travis
    Part of the jig they don't show are the serving bobbins (or jigs) as most hand builders know them. When I saw this demoed they seemed to be the secret to turning out quantity (the point of spending the $$). They could really hold the tension on the serving and vary the speed as well as being quick to start and load off a bulk spool. As I said-unless you have a contract for dome serious volume and the fire calls stop it would seem hard to get the ROI. It is very nice and very good.

BT

My winder uses a normal hand serving tool, I recommend a modified version of a BCY. I can provide the modification kits for $5 each. This allows you to use the normal tension settings of the serving tool while tensioning the strand bundle to #300.

The apple serving winder will not tension the strand bundle above 180#. You have to use a lathe type of tool to apply the serving. My machine allows the serving tool to guide down the rods this causes the serving to pack against the previous serving and makes a much tighter wound serving.

I am sorry, that you think, I am over priced on it, but it is a very rugged machine that is made out of heavy aluminum castings and will last well past Apple's.
    Little Jon Archery Products
    Bowstring Jig and Serving Winders
    BCY String Material distributor, Bowstring making and tuning Phone Orders 800-437-9145

Deezlin
    My reply is in regard to Travis' on the Apple tool. I have no experience with yours nor have I seen it.

BT