Thread: Full Body Mount for Whitetail

Full Body Mount for Whitetail

This may be kind of wishful thinking, but with all the spring rain here in Texas we are due for some good antlers this year. If I am lucky enough to stick an arrow in a real Hoss of a Buck I am planning of having a full body mount done. I have looked on the net and have yet to find detailed instructions with diagrams on how to skin out a deer for a full mount. Any help is appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by jus'bowhunt'n View Post
    This may be kind of wishful thinking, but with all the spring rain here in Texas we are due for some good antlers this year. If I am lucky enough to stick an arrow in a real Hoss of a Buck I am planning of having a full body mount done. I have looked on the net and have yet to find detailed instructions with diagrams on how to skin out a deer for a full mount. Any help is appreciated!
    There are many ways to skin a cat. Whitetails are certainly no different.
    How you skin for lifesize usually depends on the final position of the mount. You usually want the seam to be on the side that doesnt show. I would contact the taxidermist you plan to use and go over pose ideas & what type of incision he prefers. Personally, I prefer an incision that requires the least amount of sewing. Good luck with that buck!

Oh, I forgot to mention that there are measurements that need to be taken from the carcass in order to choose the correct
    form. Having said that, your best bet is to get your deer {whole, unskinned} to your taxidermist asap.
    Last edited by bigpinehc; August 28th, 2007 at 02:47 PM.

So many people do so many different things. A lot of times the taxidermist will skin out the deer for an extra charge of like $20-$25. If they skin it themselves, then they can't complain that they can't work with you have given them, because it was their doing. That is what I did last season.
    '09 BOWTECH S.W.A.T. / TROPHY TAKER / VITAL GEAR CAMELBACK / VIBRACHECK / GOLD TIP VELOCITY XT 400 / NAP THUNDERHEAD 85 / KWIKEE KWIVER COMBO 4
    2012-2013 Deer Contest CHAMPIONS! TEAM FLATLINERS!
    2014-2015 TEAM #21 - Blackjack