Thread: 4 wheeler batteries

4 wheeler batteries

Does anybody know how to charge a 4 wheeler battery?

I have a suzuki 250 ozark and the other day the battery was basicly dead. The eletric start wouldnt do nothing and the lights on it were not responding. I had not cranked it for 4 monthes before that so I figured that was what the problem was. I was able to jump it off my truck and it cranked right up. I let it run for an hour and shut it off and it wouldnt refire on it own. So I went and bought a new battery but aparently you cant just buy one of these thing ready to go. So i also had to buy a 1 amp charger.

I get the battery home and it had 2 big bottles of battery acid with it that I had to fill the battery with. I use the first bottle and it filled it up completly. I let it sit for a while and then tryed putting more in it and it would not take it. I put the cap on the battery and connected it to the 1 amp charger.

12 hours later I took it off the charger and into the bike and it was still no good. then I let it sit for 18 hours on the charger and put it into the bike and it had a little energy in it (enough for the neutral light to come on) but would not start the bike. Then I let it sit 24 more hours and basicly it is the same as last time. I pluged it up to the truck and let the truck charge it for 20 minutes and it still wouldnt start the bike up. Then I jumped it off the truck and on the trucks energy it started up. I let it run for well over an hour and shut it off and it still wont start the bike on its own energy.

My question to you guys is what should I do? should I take it out of the bike and see if it will take more acid? Should I leave it charging off the trucks battery for a while or what. I cant figure out why I didnt need this second bottle of acid and sense the directions were generic for every type of battery i cant tell if it is extra or what. PLEASE FELLOW ATer's HELP!!!!!!!!!

First off let me state that I have had and do have multiple atv's and had multiple dirt bikes. Old and new. So I do know a few things about them.
    The jumping thing, you should stop. Your truck is packing more voltage than your bike can handle. You could end up with an electrical problem that could be costly to fix. If you choose to jump in this situation it should be from something similar in size of amprage. Your vehicle is on a 12 amp system.
    Second most atv batterys are a sealed type battery. They are a onetime deal on putting acid in them (makes me think you got a street bike battery, having multiple bottles of acid. ATV batterys come with a single bank of acid packs, you pull the tops off all of them at the same time and install all at the same time. No more and no less. When the plug goes into the battery it is made to seal. This is incase of roll-overs or flips).
    Anywho, the charge rate on a motorcycle battery should be at 2amps. Best when new to trickle charge fully before installing in the bike. Lots of times younger adults fast charge their batterys, just because the world is ending tomorrow and they want to ride today!...

I would recheck that battery first of all. Second I would start with a new 2 amp charger and charge the battery on trickle for 24 hours. My charger will actually shut-down when it completes the charge to full potential and lets you know (I paid a good deal of money for it, but with 4 Honda 400ex's, a lawn tractor 4 vehicles and a street bike it was worth the investment, but not necessary). The cheaper models will do the job the way they were designed to.

Check that battery to be sure you got the right one first thing... Let me know what you find. I can tell you now if it has a bunch of yellow caps over top of the acid ports it is not the correct battery for an atv.
    VORTEX OPTICS - SEOSC - BOWJUNKIE STRINGS

Quote Originally Posted by Supershark View Post
    First off let me state that I have had and do have multiple atv's and had multiple dirt bikes. Old and new. So I do know a few things about them.
    The jumping thing, you should stop. Your truck is packing more voltage than your bike can handle. You could end up with an electrical problem that could be costly to fix. If you choose to jump in this situation it should be from something similar in size of amprage. Your vehicle is on a 12 amp system.
    Second most atv batterys are a sealed type battery. They are a onetime deal on putting acid in them (makes me think you got a street bike battery, having multiple bottles of acid. ATV batterys come with a single bank of acid packs, you pull the tops off all of them at the same time and install all at the same time. No more and no less. When the plug goes into the battery it is made to seal. This is incase of roll-overs or flips).
    Anywho, the charge rate on a motorcycle battery should be at 2amps. Best when new to trickle charge fully before installing in the bike. Lots of times younger adults fast charge their batterys, just because the world is ending tomorrow and they want to ride today!...

I would recheck that battery first of all. Second I would start with a new 2 amp charger and charge the battery on trickle for 24 hours. My charger will actually shut-down when it completes the charge to full potential and lets you know (I paid a good deal of money for it, but with 4 Honda 400ex's, a lawn tractor 4 vehicles and a street bike it was worth the investment, but not necessary). The cheaper models will do the job the way they were designed to.

Check that battery to be sure you got the right one first thing... Let me know what you find. I can tell you now if it has a bunch of yellow caps over top of the acid ports it is not the correct battery for an atv.
    ----------------------------
    What he said. Good advice.
    Besides you don't want acid spewing around your ATV.
    Knight Unk, Long live Mutants
    " Play " with archery.
    Don't let archery " Play " with you
    Think while practicing.
    Turn off thinker,while performing