Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey home deer butchers...

Hey home deer butchers...

This year I'm planning on cutting up my own deer. It's just too expensive to have it done and pay for processing. So my plan is to slice and dice....put in the freezer and then take it in for processing later in the year.

But which bags would you recommend keeping the meat in?? I'm not concerned about freezer burn being that the max time it will stay in the freezer would really only be 2-3 months.
    TheMidwestHunter.com

I just use Ziploc freezer bags.
    Let em' Go & Let em' Grow

I'd recommend wraping in plastic then in freezer paper for the maximum freshness. Make sure to push any and all air out of the plastic. If your gonna just put it all in plastic bags I use a 2 mil thick bag for mine. You can have your local grocery store order them in for you. I get 1,000 bags that are 8x4x18 for about $45. Lasts years! I do share them with my buddies though.

I usually vaccum seal mine. Works best if the meat is nice and dry. Sometimes I pre-freeze for a couple hours then vaccuum seal. For about $100 those vaccum sealer are worth the money. I vaccum sealed an entire moose two years ago and the meat is still fine. In the past I would use ziplock bags but I still lost some in 3 months, I am also a big procrastinator and so knowing something is good for a looonnng time is good for me.
    Last edited by shell waster; September 14th, 2007 at 08:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bird Hunt Dog View Post
    I just use Ziploc freezer bags.
    Ziplocs work great but that is a pretty expensive option. Might as well take it directly to the processor and pay for the processing IMO.

Vaccum seal is the best way

freezer paper. label and date everything.
    "crackerized" '06,'07 Tributes:wife,kids,dogs,: !everybody needs a new EXperience!!?? not necessarily in that order
    "At no time is freedom of speech more precious than when a man hits his thumb with a hammer."
    I wish I was at http://www.lagunavistaranch.com/contact.html(Jed is out of Crown)

The way big poppa stated would be the best. bu i would recomend after you cut it up then take it to the processor right away that way you don't have to let it thaw and refreeze plus it is much easier to process when it is not frozen.

I wrap in saran plastic wrap, get all the air out, then wrap in white butchers paper, I've eater meat over a year old this way and it was great.

I've been a meat cutter all my life and wether it's deer or beef we use the wax coated locker paper, you can get a roll with 3,000 feet on it for around $30 bucks, it would last you for years. Tightly wrapped in freezer paper will last a long time, a year if wrapped correctly.

All of this meat is going to turn into something....sausage, beer sticks, hot dogs, brats, etc... I'm not sure keeping really good care of the meat is crucial with the time frame that I'm planning on holding on to it and with what it's going into. I'll hold onto the steaks and that will go into freezer paper.

I should have stated that I was talking about the scraps. Thanks for the info guys!
    TheMidwestHunter.com

TheMidwestHunter.com

I grind up almost all of my deer meat. The only things I don't are the Back straps, loin & heart.........My family loves deer sausage. I also make my own sausage. On the stuff I don't grind I always vacuum seal. If its going to be some time before I do sausage I put my grindings into gallon Ziploc bags so its easier to thaw when I'm ready for the sausage!

Vaccum sealer. You can keep your meat longer when done this way. You can also use it for your regular meats and other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtec Shooter View Post

Don't see why not............Heck get me some too

Quote Originally Posted by Bird Hunt Dog View Post
    Don't see why not............Heck get me some too
    Well...whenever you stop over and pony up those you owe me, I'll give you a few bags. LOL!

Ok...now none of you better be bidding on those bags! I got dibs.
    TheMidwestHunter.com

I use freezer paper then put it in a ziploc bag.
    "CRACKERIZED"
    CARTER'S ARCHERY
    (816) 232-2577
    www.cartersarchery.net

Double wrap in freezer paper and tape the seams.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtec Shooter View Post
    For 100 bags I wouldn't go over $5! 2 mil is a good thickness bag, most supermarkets use a 1 mil. The $10 buy it now is WAY too high! If you just want 10 or so bags let me know and I'll mail some to ya. You can put about 10 #'s of boneless scraps in an 8x4x18 bag.

Kory

Quote Originally Posted by rcmjr View Post
    freezer paper. label and date everything.

I have packed steaks and roasts that lasted for a year and was still perfect after that time. I wrap them in cellophane/Reynold's Wrap, getting all the air out, then double wrap them in freezer paper. Never had any meat get freezer burned or anything.

Forget the bags. They are way to expensive if you are just going to use them for a few months. Try cellophane, cling wrap. Once you have deboned your meat, lay out a sheet of cling wrap and just wrap it up. It pushes out most of the air and works great for me. You can get a commercial roll of this stuff at Sam's or your local butcher and it will last you for years. Try and dry the meat well amd you should have no problems. Get a permanent sharpie marker and write on the cellophane shoulder meat, ham, backstrap, etc. Very inexpensive way to store your meat in the freezer without freezer burn.

We do all of our own processing and use wax coated wrapping paper and use and iron to seal the wax to the package. The meat not cut into steaks is cubed and then we fill up some icecream pails. When its time for making sausage and sticks we grind it up. The icecream pails work pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Hunter View Post
    I've been a meat cutter all my life and wether it's deer or beef we use the wax coated locker paper, you can get a roll with 3,000 feet on it for around $30 bucks, it would last you for years. Tightly wrapped in freezer paper will last a long time, a year if wrapped correctly.
    You sure there is 3,000 ft per roll? I'm a paper products distributor and everything I've ever sold is 1,000 or 1,100 ft per roll and that is about $30 per roll......and I'm usually 20% cheaper than the competition. Some plastic film comes 3,000 ft per roll though.

Vacume seal is the way to go, unless yours breaks, like mine just did, in the middle of elk season.

I hope I shoot one this weekend, but getting a vacume packer sent overnight is going to be a biatch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast