Thread: Shooting and field dressing a deer in warm to hot weather?

Question Shooting and field dressing a deer in warm to hot weather?

I would like to go hunting this weekend it's going to be in the upper70's to lower 80's.After field dressing. What are the right steps to take, in butchering a deer, so you don't get spoilage of the meat.Do you hang a deer for a period of time?I'm really not sure what steps to take. It's not like late season when at that time it's not as much of an issue,because it's cold outside, you don't really have to worry about spoilage. So if there anyone out there have some good Idea's or give me some detailed steps on what to do, Thanks for your help

I field dress them and don't worry about spoilage as long as I can get it to a butcher within a hour. If thats not possible I quarter or half it and put it in my 36 gallon cooler (you can get one at Wal-Mart for $50).

I dress.......go check. Head back to house and start quartering asap and get into cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by blakeman View Post
    I would like to go hunting this weekend it's going to be in the upper70's to lower 80's.After field dressing. What are the right steps to take, in butchering a deer, so you don't get spoilage of the meat.Do you hang a deer for a period of time?I'm really not sure what steps to take. It's not like late season when at that time it's not as much of an issue,because it's cold outside, you don't really have to worry about spoilage. So if there anyone out there have some good Idea's or give me some detailed steps on what to do, Thanks for your help
    If its going to be that hot I try and get it home as quick as posible. Pack the chest cavity with ice and a bag between the back legs. tie it in with rope. When I get home I quarter it and put it in an old refridgerator I have in the basement. I leave it in there for a week and then butcher it.

I knew a guy that made a cooler . Made a frame out of insulated plywood and used an airconditioner to cool it. Worked pretty good.

I quarter mine asap. then place in a cooler. I put a grate on the bottom of the cooler. supported by 2x4's fill the bottom with ice then set the quarters on top of the grates. leave space between quarters if you can. I use a large 14cu ft cooler so I can spread them out.
    then if time does not permit i freeze the quarters, at the end of the season
    i defrost them all at once and spend a weekend making sausage.

I field dress it and get it home asap. Hang it and wash it out good with the water hose. Then skin it, quarter it and debone it. Then put the meat in the beer...I mean....garage fridge.

I field dress mine,Then head to my butchers cooler!

Saturday, took me from shooting Deer then field dress to cooler 48 min.
    Retired Law enforcement, Master your choices, or become the slave of their consequences.
    Texas Crossbow hunters - Hunter of the year 2010- 2011. 2011-2012
    Texas crossbow hunters - White tail hunter of the year 2010-2011. 2011-2012
    Texas crossbow hunters - Predator hunter of the year 2010-2011. 2011-2012

My cold weather and warm weather techniques don't differ that much. I immediately skin the animal, deboning as I go, and put the meat in a game bag. Then strap the bag to my pack and take it out. If warm weather I put it in a 120 quart cooler with ice; if cold weather, I hang the bags on a meat pole. Either way I try to get them home as soon as I can to finish processing them.
    2006 LH Bowtech Old Glory 70#, 32 1/2" draw, back to the Hostage rest, SH 7-pin Hunter, 500gr TR Crush 300 @ 285fps.
    2007 LH Bowtech Commander 60#, 32" draw, Limbdriver rest, BG 5-pin Flashpoint.
    2014 PSE Freak SP 70#, 32" draw, not set up yet.

Gut it, skin it, quarter it, and put in in the ice chest as quickly as possible. I like the grate idea. I have read that it is best not to put your meat in water, but I always have since the ice melts when I throw warm meat on it.

Did it this morning.

I generally don't gut anymore.I run a slice down the back bone and pull the skin back. Cut out the back strap on one side, and then take off the front and hind quarters, minus the lower legs, then turn animal over and repeat. I don't enter the cavity, until I go between the ribs and cut/peel out the tenderloins. Last is the neck meat and whatever grind may be left(not much). I like this method bcause it gets the meat cooling faster, and you don't mess with the gut and risk getting offal on the meat. I then get it, to a fridge or cooler and usually clean it up and finish deboning that night.
    signed by me.

Quote Originally Posted by lampasashunter View Post
    I have read that it is best not to put your meat in water,....
    They are refering to not using a lake, stream, or pond to clean the carcass as there are parasites and other organisms that will make the meat unfit to eat.

I usually gut it then prop him up in the passenger seat and cut the AC wide open.

That'll do'er

Quote Originally Posted by SirChitlin View Post
    I usually gut it then prop him up in the passenger seat and cut the AC wide open.
    I can see the looks now, going down the interstate.
    signed by me.

i just dress it quarter it and put it in a cooler with a few bags of ice and it is good.
    Team Bowtech,Bowtech Destroyer 340, 06 Bowtech old glory , 2010 Bowtech Brigadier X 2
    B-Stinger Prostaff/ Tru Spot Prostaff
    CCPorter prostaff/Jayhawk Optics /Spot-Hogg Archery Gold Staff
    Goldtip Archery staff /Trophy Blend Scents

I have read that it is best not to put your meat in water, but I always have since the ice melts when I throw warm meat on it.
    In the days ahead of your hunt, fill empty plastic milk jugs with water (to about the top of the shoulder for expansion) and freeze them. Fill your cooler with them when you go out, then use these with your meat. Stays cool, but also dry. I've had these stay mostly frozen for up to 10 days in a cooler.
    2006 LH Bowtech Old Glory 70#, 32 1/2" draw, back to the Hostage rest, SH 7-pin Hunter, 500gr TR Crush 300 @ 285fps.
    2007 LH Bowtech Commander 60#, 32" draw, Limbdriver rest, BG 5-pin Flashpoint.
    2014 PSE Freak SP 70#, 32" draw, not set up yet.

Thumbs up

Gut it, skin it, quarter it, and put in in the ice chest as quickly as possible. I like the grate idea. I have read that it is best not to put your meat in water, but I always have since the ice melts when I throw warm meat on it.
    I usually Quarter it and set it in Ice Water if it is too warm to hang, which is usually the case in Texas...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    <><
    If you love your job, you never have to go to work!

freezing gallon water jugs is good for body cavity ice. also zip locks if u debone it on scene like i did this year.

Elkkat, can you explain the tenderloin removal better for me. I often cut mine up simalar to what you describe but leave the tender morsals. Do you use a saw to remove some ribs?

Water bad for meat? I have always soaked mine overnight to remove blood from meat. Should I not be doing this?
    "05" Patriot/"06" Allegiance
    Winners Choice
    Copper John & Meta Peep
    Mean V CSS
    Ripcord/Limbdriver

Loins

Quote Originally Posted by kzz1king View Post
    Elkkat, can you explain the tenderloin removal better for me. I often cut mine up simalar to what you describe but leave the tender morsals. Do you use a saw to remove some ribs?

Water bad for meat? I have always soaked mine overnight to remove blood from meat. Should I not be doing this?
    I just, take the muscle out behind the back rib and cut the end of the loin, then it will mostly peel out, with just a little help from the knife tip. Then cut the other end. Younger deer are tougher because the muscle is more tender, so be delicate. Just move the gut out of your way and you can get both loins from the same side. Some guys go ahead and just unzip em to make more room , as you don't have to worry about getting offal on the meat anymore.
    signed by me.

I gut, skin, and quarter ASAP. If I don't have time to butcher it immediately, I put the quarters in my spare refrigerator until I can get to it later.

Soaking

I think you are better off, keeping the meat dry. IMO you are just removing flavor, if you soak in water. I have put meat in plastic bags and put them in the creek to cool before, but the meat doesn't get wet.
    signed by me.

I'll Field Dress It When I Get Home Skin It And Break It Down Into Primals Then Put It In Bag Into The Fridge In My Garage To Let It Cool Just Make Sure Not To Pile It On Top Of Each Other So It Can Cool Spread It Out Evenly.

Elkkat Method - 1st Timer

Quote Originally Posted by elkkat View Post
    I generally don't gut anymore.I run a slice down the back bone and pull the skin back. Cut out the back strap on one side, and then take off the front and hind quarters, minus the lower legs, then turn animal over and repeat. I don't enter the cavity, until I go between the ribs and cut/peel out the tenderloins. Last is the neck meat and whatever grind may be left(not much). I like this method bcause it gets the meat cooling faster, and you don't mess with the gut and risk getting offal on the meat. I then get it, to a fridge or cooler and usually clean it up and finish deboning that night.
    Tried Elkkat's method tonight on a whitetail, worked like a charm. I packed the entire deer in one trip - packing sure beats dragging. I put the quarters on ice when I got back to the SUC (sports utility car). Just finished up boning out the meat and it's in the fridge cooling down some more. I'll finish processing everything tomorrow. I'll never drag a whitetail again. Thanks for the great advice Elkkat!

Warm weather hunting:

Black pepper, never leave home without it!

Yellow jackets and flies will not land on the carcass if you dust the exposed meat, eyes, nostrils, ears with the stuff.

I gut mine where it falls and hurry back to camp to skin and quarter it.. Like has been said before its always hot down here in Texas during bow season. Usually after quartering I pack it in ice and leave it I get tit to the butcher. I leave the water in as it helps keep it cool and takes any blood left in the meat out.. Steve
    Member New Breed Archery Factory Staff
    Norway Vanes shooting staff
    Growing old is mandatory , Growing up is optional....