Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sharpening G5 Montecs

Question sharpening G5 Montecs

I shot a small doe last night just before dark. It was 5 feet from my stand pointed straight away. I aimed and hit just forward of the shoulder blades. The arrow passed thru the deer breaking the neck (got enough bone) and exited the neck a little forward of the briscut. It dropped where I hit it. The arrow stuck in soft peat moss and did not get nicked at all. I still have to clean it off for a closer inspection though. The BH did great, but I now have 6 or 7 of these that I can't get as sharp as they were out of the box. There was a post on here a while back describing a technique to restore these blades. Is there an easy way to get these sharpened? I joke around with folks who want a shaving sharp edge, but I definately would like to at least restore the edge as good as it was when I bought them.

These Montecs have such a solid mass, I can make lethal shots that I'd never attempt with lesser blades, or mechanicals.

I have both G5 tools and either I'm using them wrong or they just don't have the right angle for these heads. If I can't restore them to as-new sharpness, I'll go back 100% to Thunderheads. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

I can't realy help you, but my grandpa uses the G5 flat sharpening stone thing and his are very sharp!
    Hoyt Pro Comp Elite XL60x stringsAAE Pro BladeAXCEL AX3000 w/Classic scopeEaston X-10 stabsCarter OnlyEaston Arrows
    Mathews Drenalin60x stringsLimbDriverHHAB-StingerEaston Axis-N-FusedRage Hypodermic

I have used the G5 flat diamond stone to re-sharpen Magnus snuffers, SS snuffers and the NAP HellRazors all without any problems.

Just keep the blade flat to the stone and I place it on the left side of the stone and slide it to the right. Do this for say 5 - 8 times, then turn the blade over and repeat. After a few times of this, I move to the smoother side and do the same.

They are very sharp when I am done. Due to the blade angle of these, they may not feel as sharp as a thin blade head like a muzzy or a Thunderhead.

I've taken multiple animals with the same broadhead before without any problems.
    12 Bowtech Insanity "Crackerized" 27 @ 57 lbs shooting 296 fps with a 355 grn arrow

Look at the web site...

on www.g5outdoors.com there is a link to a video about how to sharpen montecs
    Bucknasty Vipertec
    Geaux Tigers

go to thier web site, they a video clip on how to sharpen

I've done what the site says and can't get them sharp. I spent 30 minutes on one head and I could still squeeze it between my thumb and finger. They won't cut paper either. I've tried the sand paper deal too, with no results. O'well at 270 fps I don't think it will mater too much.

i cant see how so many have problems sharpening montecs. using the g5 flat diamond stone, it just takes a few swipes on each side and its sharp, hell sharper than when i bought em even!

the video that they put out is short and pretty informative, give it a watch.
    OZONICS- proof that with leased land, and enough technology, even Tom Nelson and Jay Gregory can actually kill something.

Quote Originally Posted by huntnmuleys View Post
    i cant see how so many have problems sharpening montecs. using the g5 flat diamond stone, it just takes a few swipes on each side and its sharp, hell sharper than when i bought em even!

Fine diamond stone 30 minutes 1 head no results.

Use a very fine grit stone (800-1200 grit) then finish them off with a strap leather or an old leather belt. you have to put the leather on a hard flat surface and carefully finish sharpening the bh. they will shave.

Quote Originally Posted by LASTREBEL74 View Post
    Use a very fine grit stone (800-1200 grit) then finish them off with a strap leather or an old leather belt. you have to put the leather on a hard flat surface and carefully finish sharpening the bh. they will shave.
    What do you use for leather and where did you get it. I tried and old wallet but it didn't work. Do you go the same direction you used on the stone?

Quote Originally Posted by Tcounty View Post
    What do you use for leather and where did you get it. I tried and old wallet but it didn't work. Do you go the same direction you used on the stone?
    I use the back side of a old leather belt. I lay the bh flat on the belt and slide it backward. you can go foward but you have to be careful not to let the bh dig into the leather. I use 20 strokes and turn the bh and repeat untill all blades will shave. you have to get them sharp on a stone first then finish them on the leather. I have a g5 stone, but i like my 1200 grit arkansas stone better. both work though. oh, i use foward strokes on the stone.

I was in the same boat, I could not get them factory sharp after I used them, but I loved the 1pc design and the way they flew, but just too expensive to use 1 time so I switched to Slick Tricks.

I actually put mine on leather out of the pack. I want them sharp. The leather will get them sharp. Hope this helps.

Forward on the stone and backward on the "ruff" side of the leather?

I bought a Smith's tungsten-carbide sharpener and it works great. Shot them into my 3D deer to tune them. After that I just swiped them a few times with the Smith's sharpener and they are good to go. It also has a 3,4 and 5 blade wrench built into the handle. Two tools in one!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tcounty View Post
    Forward on the stone and backward on the "ruff" side of the leather?
    Yep! you can also go side to side on the stone.

Quote Originally Posted by callmin View Post
    I was in the same boat, I could not get them factory sharp after I used them, but I loved the 1pc design and the way they flew, but just too expensive to use 1 time .
    I'll watch the video and see if I can get the hang of it. I do love the design and they have mass that penetrates. I'll give the video a try. thanks!

Try the marker

I found it useful to use the marker on the blade edge as they suggest in the video. It confirmed that I was hitting all of the edges the same.

Quote Originally Posted by huntnmuleys View Post

I have to agree. I use the small G5 diamond stone and can get them sharp in a few passes. I have a leather strop I made and use that to finish if I have the time. I actually think they cut better with the rougher diamond edge then the mirror smooth leather edge. I think they work as a serrated edge possibly. There have been a few times when I have missed where it hit a rock and folded the tip over. In those cases I've used a file to square the tip, work out the dings on the blades then finished with the daimond stone. Checked to see that they still shoot then killed a doe or two with them. I lost the cut on contact tip but they still punch through a doe with no problem.

Watched the video. Still can't get them back to original edge. I can get them sharper than a table knife, and that is probably all that's necessary. I sharpen my knives on a stone and touch the edges up on an electric sharpener and I always have shaving sharp knives. It aint me.

I guess by design these edges aren't suppose to get razor sharp. Not a problem though. I'll try reusing the one I just did and see how it performs. I'm sure it'll be fine. I'll re-post after my next deer....uh oh, now I'm on a timer

Thanks

I have the G5 stone and it works OK but I now use a 400-600 grit automotive wet/dry sand paper on a flat piece if glass or solid flat surface. Lay the sand paper on the glass and a few swipes on each side and you have your edge. Repeat the process with a 1000 grit paper and you can shave your arm with them. Takes only a few minutes to go through all my heads. Just a suggestion!

I'll pick some up today, that sounds like a cheap way to get them restored. The instructions say if you can slice a rubber band, they are sharp. I can do that with them, so I guess I'm an over-achiever.

I'll have more details later, but an update... Had a hobbled buck walk in to estrous scent and grunting just before dark. Must have been injured in a fight or a car hit. Front leg almost not working at all. Humane killing-not a trophy at all. 28 yards. Clean pass thru with a twice resharpened Montec. More details about arrow performance after AM hunt. Deer hanging in shed. Rut is starting with serious chasing here. Son's turn ... Bye...
    Estimate live weight at slightly less than 200 pounds.

The sandpaper trick is the way to go. I've used stones before, but find that using varing grit sandpaper on a flat hard surface works the best to put a scary edge on the Montec.

That's the hardest thing for people to understand about Montec's; that because of the edge angle they're not going to feel like a razor blade. But get them sharp and they do one heck of a job. Why? Because heads with razor blades often have they're edges rolled over or dulled by the time they get inside an animal from contact with bone, ribs, or hide. Montecs just smash right through this stuff without rolling or dulling the edge because of they're thicker steeper blade edge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast