Thread: Can a deer survive a gut shot?

Can a deer survive a gut shot?

With all the threads going on, I was just wondering everyones opinion on this. I've heard several different viewpoints but I was curious as to what everyone thought.

So what do you think, can a deer survive a gut shot?....Not talking about survive for a day or so but go on to live like it was before it was hit....that make sense?
    Kravguy said I could have my mancard back.

No...the bile and bacteria will cause blood poisining and eventually the deer will die from that or infection.

I don't see how, infection alone would kill him.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Campo View Post
    No...the bile and bacteria will cause blood poisining and eventually the deer will die from that or infection.
    Ditto
    ArcheryTalk is a Gun Free Zone. Check out www.GunTalkWorld.com for gun related items.
    Sending payment via PayPal Gift option? Bad idea

A deer with a gut shot will die
    ______________________________ ______________________________ ____________________
    VBG Kaz-away-Spot Hogg-Axis400-Vista Quiver-Attic Strings

Quote Originally Posted by Campo View Post
    Thats my thinking....but I thought it would interesting to hear everyone elses opinion....
    Kravguy said I could have my mancard back.

It all depends on where in the guts it was shot and what was damaged. There are areas of the body that a deer can get hit and survive just fine.
    So Yes, a deer can survive if hit in specific areas of the "guts"

I think the odds are a lot lower for surviving a gut shot than a head shot...
    The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard

I shot a big buck in WI during rifle season. The deer processor called me and had me come down to see a 4 inch piece of arrow with the broadhead that had healed over. He had an infection. But they thought it was from the previous deer season. It was in his front shoulder for over a year.
    11' Z7 Xtreme 3D Bow??? TBD!!
    "The real Cherokee Indian outlaw"

I could see a deer living with an arrow in the front half of its body as long as it didnt do too much damage to vital organs.

I just cant see a deer hit in the guts surviving though...there are no healing mechaniams in the body that will heal a hole through your intestines or your stomach...

During the Civil War, soldiers would frantically tear their shirts off after being shot (if they had the energy) to see where they were shot. Being gut shot was, by far, the worst wound they could get, because they knew damn well that there was no way to fix it and also no way to avoid death from it. Many who carried revolvers would shoot themselves, or, beg the enemy to put them out of their misery.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrobinhood View Post
    I shot a big buck in WI during rifle season. The deer processor called me and had me come down to see a 4 inch piece of arrow with the broadhead that had healed over. He had an infection. But they thought it was from the previous deer season. It was in his front shoulder for over a year.

Yep fatal !!!! Any time the paratenial sack is broken is opened and the intestines or paunch is opened it will not heal because of the digestive juices an infection will set in if the bleeding would happen to stop However with a broadhed cut the bleeding will usualy continue as the acids keep the area wet and irratated!Hope this helps!

guts shot = death but its gonna live alot longer then a lung shot ect.

All the wisdom out there says survial is not an option
    Pick a spot, a small spot!

No.
    Keep smiling… It makes people wonder what you’ve been up to.

I've always read that a gut shot was 100% fatal.
    No brand names in this space, please.

First thing they taught us in medical school was forget two words: "always" and "never". I've seen people survive being stabbed in the abdomen (guts), so why not a deer.

Having said that, is surviving a gut shot very likely? Nope.

OK...I'm gonna go...

...against the majority here and say, yes it is possible for a deer to survive a gut shot. Not probable but certainly possible. But, I have good reason. Two seasons ago I invited a friend out to our fam. ranch for a hunt. He is a rifle hunter and knocked down an axis buck in its tracks. He said, it was "very fat" and that is why he decided to take it. When we got it back to camp and started to gut this deer, we noticed a strange smell and that this deer was bloated and not just fat. The inside of the body cavity was completely covered in green, rotten, gut "material". We quickly realized that this deer had been previously gut shot and survived perfectly fine, except for the bloating of course. After questioning my friend he said, "the deer was acting perfectly normal and running around and eating with the other axis". I couldn't tell how long ago it had been gut shot and I also could not find an entry or exit wound into the intestines. If I had to guess, I would say the axis was gut shot about 3-4 months prior to my friend shooting it.

This is why I believe it is possible but not probable. Like mafriend03 said above, depends on where in the guts it is shot.JMH experience.

orlybow
    '11 Elite Pure//'08 Mathews Drenalin LD// '06 Bowtech Old Glory // '06 Ross CR337

Quote Originally Posted by orlybow View Post
    ...against the majority here and say, yes it is possible for a deer to survive a gut shot. Not probable but certainly possible. But, I have good reason. Two seasons ago I invited a friend out to our fam. ranch for a hunt. He is a rifle hunter and knocked down an axis buck in its tracks. He said, it was "very fat" and that is why he decided to take it. When we got it back to camp and started to gut this deer, we noticed a strange smell and that this deer was bloated and not just fat. The inside of the body cavity was completely covered in green, rotten, gut "material". We quickly realized that this deer had been previously gut shot and survived perfectly fine, except for the bloating of course. After questioning my friend he said, "the deer was acting perfectly normal and running around and eating with the other axis". I couldn't tell how long ago it had been gut shot and I also could not find an entry or exit wound into the intestines. If I had to guess, I would say the axis was gut shot about 3-4 months prior to my friend shooting it.

This is why I believe it is possible but not probable. Like mafriend03 said above, depends on where in the guts it is shot.JMH experience.

orlybow
    Sorry but that deer was just days from death What was stated is it fatal and yes it is you just shot a dead deer walking matter of time !!That green stuff is known as gang green caused by paratinitis> Also the bloating was the stumach acids digesting the intrails !

Don't be sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by Rothhar1 View Post
    Sorry but that deer was just days from death What was stated is it fatal and yes it is you just shot a dead deer walking matter of time !!That green stuff is known as gang green caused by paratinitis> Also the bloating was the stumach acids digesting the intrails !
    but I'm pretty sure that deer was shot several months before my friend killed it. Reason I know this is that the ranch is high fenced and no one else had hunted it for several months before we got there. Although no other family members will admit they gut shot a deer. That green stuff was more like stomach contents and not a puss type liquid. All that stomach content was dried up and sticking to everything. Another clue, that it had been a while, was that the entry and exit gut wounds were healed over and never found. Also, not totally positive, but we believe we spotted him on a couple of our game cams prior to killing him. Trust me, he was alive and well and from my buddies observations, prior to pulling the trigger, he was gonna be that way for a long time. For how long? Who can say? But he was alive and kicking for several months at least. I think that qualifies as surviving.

orlybow
    Last edited by orlybow; November 2nd, 2007 at 07:55 PM.
    '11 Elite Pure//'08 Mathews Drenalin LD// '06 Bowtech Old Glory // '06 Ross CR337

I gut shot a buck one year no sign expect a green arrow. A week later I walked by a field that was pretty close to where I shot the buck and had a buck about the same size jump up and run off and was limping near the rear where I hit mine. Im not sure if its the same buck but ya never know. But im my experience of seeing gut shot deer they always die. I was told from where I hit the deer and the way the arrow smelled it was a pauch shot not sure if they can survive that. Anyone know? What is a paunch anyway?

Same with animals

Quote Originally Posted by Thickets View Post
    First thing they taught us in medical school was forget two words: "always" and "never". I've seen people survive being stabbed in the abdomen (guts), so why not a deer.

You have to throw the absolutes out in vet school also. Deer are pretty hearty. First you have to define gut shot. Shot in the abdomen and not penetrating the digestive tract or penetating the digestive tract. With substantial spilling of digestive contents and inherent bacteria the odds for survival or slim or less. However, at least in cattle the body has a remarkable ability to wall off and isolate limited exposure. I would think it highly unlikely a deer survives shot with digestive tract penetration and spillage, but it is not impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Thickets View Post

did the person survive without any medical treatment? doubtful, but i am also not a doctor, nor one who has personally seen this.. plus a stab is a little different than being run completely through by an arrow. just my thoughts though...

quags