View Poll Results: The Indiana One Buck Rule:

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • is working great and I am seeing better bucks due to it!

97 93.27%
  • doesn't work, go back to the way it was.

7 6.73%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Indiana One Buck Rule

Indiana One Buck Rule

OK fellow Hoosiers, with the invasion of the orange army rapidly approaching, I just wanted to see how everyone felt about how the one buck rule was doing with what you have observed this year in archery season. I personally feel it is a great idea, and I have seen greatly increased buck activity over the last couple years, and I think it is due to that. How do you all feel about it? IMO we really need a much better deer management program, but since we don't have a good program,at least the OBR is there and I think working. What are your thoughts fella's?

2014 Hoyt Faktor 30 Blackout
    HHA Optimizer Lite Ultra QAD HDX Carbon Express

I think it has helped, Not as much as moving the Gun season out of rut But it helps.

It isnt affecting what the orange Army Takes though it just is affecting some of those guys who do both archery and gun hunt. I belive the General Idea of a Nice Buck is growing on people and they are letting some of the smaller Deer walk anyways.

I know i would support pushing back Gun season for 2 weeks even if that meant Bow hunting would cease for those weeks also. I belive if you leave the Mack daddys time to breed and get out of the DUMB stages then the size in two years would grow enormously.

Cant make em all happy But at least they are trying.
    My Gear is Older than Yours....
    Got some BuckNasty on it though
    Shooting Knat Nards at 70 + Baby!!!

IT works,,,,,,,1 buck is plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by rodney482 View Post
    IT works,,,,,,,1 buck is plenty.
    1 for you Rodney I seen the pictures of the one you shot that would be enough for me too. JK
    It must be just the year but I havenot seen bigger deer this year as in the past alot of small bucks 1.5 to 2.5 with small racks.
    I did not shoot a buck last year because of size maybe won't get a shot this year either but thats the way it goes just trying to shoot one a little bigger than the last one.
    Plenty of does though
    I guess I can't really say if the OBR is working or not.
    It can't hurt can it?
    BUSCH LIGHT PRO STAFF

I do believe that the OBR has helped with seeing more bucks of better size. But I do not believe this is the most effective way to handle things.

I agree with 18javelin, the gun seasons are what is killing this great state. I would like to see them pushed back two weeks and cut in half.

I wouldnt mind seeing an antler restriction of some kind. Maybe four points on one side, but then again this may not seem fair to the youth, so maybe if you hold a youth license then anything goes, and four on one side for the rest of the hunters.

Dad tells me that it used to be 1 buck with a bow, 1 buck with a gun, and a doe (your choice of season). Doesnt sound too bad, assuming you can still obtain bonus antlerless tags.

Just my two cents.

BTG19

I was told by a DNR biologist that it (one buck) was extended so that there would be definitive proof at the end of ten years that it was a failure. The biologists don't support it because they know it makes very little difference in the overall herd management. What does make a difference is personal responsibility for what we shoot. Saturday morning, any one of us will be able to drive to the nearest check station or processor and view the yearly ritual. Piles of immature forkhorns, spikes and six point bucks, don't forget the heaps of does and button bucks.

I am all for shooting does, it helps to balalnce the herd. However, I am not for disallowing me to take an additional mature buck with my bow or shotgun when at the same time, allowing me to shoot up to potentially five button bucks in my county. That is not right. A buck should be tagged as a buck, no matter what the antler size. A culture change and mindset change needs to be driven into the orange wearers if any progress is going to be made in IN.

Dad tells me that it used to be 1 buck with a bow, 1 buck with a gun, and a doe (your choice of season). Doesnt sound too bad, assuming you can still obtain bonus antlerless tags.
    At one time, it was 2 deer any age any sex with a bow and one antlered deer with shotgun or muzzleloader. Potentially 3 bucks.
    Last edited by Redemption; November 13th, 2007 at 08:46 AM.

I'm not from Indiana, but Ohio, and I believe the "one buck" rule is a great thing. It is a tremendous tool to manage quality deer, and besides. To control the population, does are the main source. Ohio has been a one buck state for as long as I can remember, and I believe it makes perfect sense for QDM.
    huntingbrotherhood Pro-Staff
    Shoot me a PM for FREE Stuff! "THAT'S HOW I ROLL"
    SCP4L

I believe the OBR is a great thing. I have seen more bucks, a more balanced herd, and see more deer 2.5 and older now. There a still a tremendous amount of 1.5 yr old deer shot (mostly in firearm) but less than before IMO. I have spoke to several bowhunters that have passed bucks they would have harvested in the past because now if they tag out, they can't use the gun season to shoot a "big 'un"....
    Somewhere between here and where I want to be...

I agree with nebling. Ohio has been a 1 buck state for as long as I have been hunting and looking at the deer that have come out of this state the last few years, I would say a 1 buck limit works for QDM.

Quote Originally Posted by redemption View Post
    I was told by a DNR biologist that it (one buck) was extended so that there would be definitive proof at the end of ten years that it was a failure. The biologists don't support it because they know it makes very little difference in the overall herd management. What does make a difference is personal responsibility for what we shoot. Saturday morning, any one of us will be able to drive to the nearest check station or processor and view the yearly ritual. Piles of immature forkhorns, spikes and six point bucks, don't forget the heaps of does and button bucks.

I am all for shooting does, it helps to balalnce the herd. However, I am not for disallowing me to take an additional mature buck with my bow or shotgun when at the same time, allowing me to shoot up to potentially five button bucks in my county. That is not right. A buck should be tagged as a buck, no matter what the antler size. A culture change and mindset change needs to be driven into the orange wearers if any progress is going to be made in IN.

At one time, it was 2 deer any age any sex with a bow and one antlered deer with shotgun or muzzleloader. Potentially 3 bucks.

I remember when I used to have to apply for a doe tag in Indiana,,took me two years to get one. Now I can shoot 100+ does per year.

I have seen bigger bucks and more of them as a result of the OBR. This season alone I have seen 12 different bucks while on stand. I have never had a season before where I have counted 12 different bucks. While it may not solely be a result of the legislation, I would bet that it has a definite part in the overall effect.
    '09 BOWTECH S.W.A.T. / TROPHY TAKER / VITAL GEAR CAMELBACK / VIBRACHECK / GOLD TIP VELOCITY XT 400 / NAP THUNDERHEAD 85 / KWIKEE KWIVER COMBO 4
    2012-2013 Deer Contest CHAMPIONS! TEAM FLATLINERS!
    2013-2014 TEAM #4 - Bowhunters4Life

It has always worked in PA

I support the one buck rule and antler restrictions, as a resident of PA the system is working and thankfully all the young bucks are being able to breed and live at least a year or two.

I hunt for meat so I dont care about big bucks. But if the herd needs to be reduced then I will shoot anything legal that comes into range.

If I am following the laws of the state, and I choose to fill my freezer with a button buck, and also helping to reduce the herd then, I have no guilty conscience at all.

I remember when I used to have to apply for a doe tag in Indiana,,took me two years to get one. Now I can shoot 100+ does per year.
    I remember those days. The deer licenses had the triangle shaped notches on them. I think bow was green lettering, shotgun was red and ML was green. This was even before the carbon paper bonus permits were mailed to you. The doe tag I remember was a big yellow piece of paper. A guy I knew as a kid got one and I remember he had it wrapped around the does leg.

Before you could shoot 2 deer with a bow, it was one deer either sex with bow, an antlered deer with shotgun or muzzleloader but not both. Muzzleloader was a second chance at a buck if you owned one. If I saw antlers at that age I was tickled to death! Its come a long way since the early eighties and people still aren't happy.

Yes yes yes yes yes on all accounts. I support it, I love it, I love what it is doing to increase the age class of bucks in my area, I love how it spreads opportunity to other hunters to get the chance at a buck and an even better chance at a quality buck for them, and my favorite part of OBR ... how it makes the anti-OBR/"deer welfare system"/"hate trophy hunting"/"lost opportunity" crowd cry in their spilled milk.

I love OBR in Indiana and I hope that it is here to stay beyond the next 5 years.
    Derek Craig
    "It's a New Day in the Outdoors"
    Magnus Broadheads

Yes, I believe the OBR has helped the herd a great deal but is that the only reason we are seeing more bucks and harvesting more mature bucks? Don't get me wrong, I am all for the OBR but there are many other variables that we need to consider that weren't around when it began....

1- The antler craze has created a different mindset than was around years ago so people are letting the smaller ones walk
    2- Game management on private property wasn't around years ago and people didn't understand the buck/doe ratio and how it plays out
    3- In line with #2, it's no longer considered taboo to kill a doe and actually encouraged
    4- Modern equipment and techniques have made harvesting mature bucks easier thus more being harvested and seen in the taxidermy shops
    *A muzzle loader or shotgun now having 200yrd+ range opposed to the old 100yrd max
    *Archery equipment with more forgiveness, speed and better broadheads allows for shots past 50yrd where 20yrd used to be about the limit
    *Education about scent control
    *Trail cameras and other scouting tools not previously available
    *Modern tree stands get you up 20+ft vs. the old 2x4 12ft stands
    5- More hunters thus the big boys have less holes to slip through and less that die of old age.

Just some food for thought.

I support the OBR and I know I am a minority but I also support thr earn a buck rule. But then again I know people who will check a buck in urban and then take a second, that is legal by the way, I think there are people who want a big buck and are not thinking that any deer they take should be concidered a trophy wether a 14 pt or a 50# doe.
    Alein X (WOO HOO!!!!)
    CE Maxima 250
    Limbdriver rest
    Posten Stab.

I think it is working great! Personally I have seen an increase in mature buck sightings in the last few years. I also heard that the OBR is going to end in 2012, does anyone know if there is any truth to that?

Quote Originally Posted by arrowaddict View Post
    I think it is working great! Personally I have seen an increase in mature buck sightings in the last few years. I also heard that the OBR is going to end in 2012, does anyone know if there is any truth to that?
    I have heard that also but cannot confirm.
    p.s. remember when the farmers used to have someone come out and evaluate there property and receive doe tags in relationship to the damage to there crops and then the farmer /landowner would hand them out to people hunting on his land.
    BUSCH LIGHT PRO STAFF

I think the OBR's great.

Quote Originally Posted by redemption View Post

I agree and have been told and wasnt it also published by the DNR much to the same affect as your post right after the last nrc and dnr meeting on the OBR ?? Also you are correct that there was 1 year that you were allowed 3 buck but as i recall the fallowing or previous year to that you could legaly take 4 bucks 2 in arch ,1 in firearms ,and 1 in M/L season at the same time I belive was the year that you could take a doe a day during the portion of the season that honerd them!!? I will look for my old rule books as I tryed to keep them all .
    DEER KILLER HERE !! YOU ???

KOMI, I agree with you on the "earn a buck" too. I would love to see that implemented to help force others who could care less about QDM in taking down doe numbers, which are way out of whack right now in most areas.
    2014 Hoyt Faktor 30 Blackout
    HHA Optimizer Lite Ultra QAD HDX Carbon Express

I think the OBR is going great & they should never go back to 2 bucks. I know alot of guys when you could kill 2 bucks that shot anything with antlers now that the OBR came into effect they let those small bucks walk.
    }--------->@<---------{

I've seen more bucks this year than any other, but then I'm spending more time in the woods. OBR is probably part of it, but as mentioned earlier - better educated hunters probably also help. Got my first antlered this year - so next year I'll probably wait for a more mature buck. I wouldn't mind the 'Earn a Buck' thing either.

Rodney482 - how do you go about getting 100 does per year? You must be hunting all over the state. Here in Randolph County you can only get 5 deer period - and you have to play it right to do that. If I get a buck with a bow then I'm down to 4 deer. 2 archery tags, Bonus Antlerless (only one), Firearms and Muzzleloader. If I get a buck with the bow then I can only use the bonus antlerless in Firearms season which takes me down to 4 deer.

Added note - I called the Deer Hotline (the number is in the regs) and the guy highly recommended saving the buck for firearms so I could get more deer. So I'm thinking if they want us to get more does then let me get a doe on a firearms tag instead of burning my bonus antlerless. And if I manage to fill my bonus antlerless prior to firearms season I'm all done with the bow and will only get the first two weeks of December for muzzleloader.

Bottom line - to get the most deer you can take in Randolph you can only shoot does with a bow. Kind of a penalty. In the end it doesn't really matter - I only have enough freezer space for three deer!
    2013 Bear Empire - 27.5" @ 60#'s
    NAP Sizzor
    Copper John Dead Nuts Hunter
    CHL Vibe Killer
    Vapor Trail

I am all for the OBR,I have seen alot more mature bucks in the last 3 years, than I have in the last 15.Just harvested my biggest buck ever last Friday, a 13 pointer
    PSE Axe 6, T.T. rest,Sure loc sights,Doinker stab.,CXL 250s ,X-2 vanes,First String,Truball H.T-2 release.
    Katera XL,T.T. rest,Spot Hog sight,First String,Beman shafts,Thunderheads,Max Pro
    -----------------------------------------
    'Out past the cornfield where the woods got heavy;'Bob Seger

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast