a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Who makes "state shaped" wooden plaques for shoulder mounts??

Who makes "state shaped" wooden plaques for shoulder mounts??

I always told myself if I got a nice buck I wanted him mounted over a wooden plaque that was shaped like the state I took him in. This year's nice one is from my home state of Indiana, and I want a wooden plaque to put behind the shoulder mount. I would probably go to the lumber yard and get myself a nice piece of wood and do it all myself...scroll saw...router...etc.. but I really can't think of anyone that has these woodworking tools that I could "borrow". I will probably be forced to buy one from somebody. The only guy that I could find online that did was charging like $150 PLUS SHIPPING for the plaque.....GRANTED, I UNDERSTAND QUALITY WORK AND TIME CONSUMTION, BUT THAT SEEMS A LITTLE STEEP, DOESN'T IT? If it is going to cost me that much, I would probably just settle for waiting on the availability of the tools from a friend.

Does anyone on here do this kind of work? What would the price be? Thanks again everyone!
    Last edited by Jeffress77; November 24th, 2007 at 04:46 AM.
    '09 BOWTECH S.W.A.T. / TROPHY TAKER / VITAL GEAR CAMELBACK / VIBRACHECK / GOLD TIP VELOCITY XT 400 / NAP THUNDERHEAD 85 / KWIKEE KWIVER COMBO 4
    2012-2013 Deer Contest CHAMPIONS! TEAM FLATLINERS!
    2014-2015 TEAM #21 - Blackjack

I could do something like that for you, I've got the jointer, table saw, planer, routers, 17" band saw, & jig saw. Your job would be to make a full sized template on paper and send it to me for me to copy onto the wood so I know exactly how big to make it. The only problem I forsee is that a portion of the detail would may be missing on the state boundaries, for example all the little turns and corners a river creates on the state border. Price is lots less than $150, probably 50-$75 depending on how big it is and assuming you want a reasonably priced wood like red or white oak, walnut, butternut.. and not exotic African species. Let me know.
    Last edited by kinny; November 24th, 2007 at 09:54 AM.

Like this?:

That came from backwoodsbound.com

Quote Originally Posted by michihunter View Post
    Like this?:

Huh????

Dan
    "One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted." ~~ Jose Ortega y Gasset

Quote Originally Posted by michihunter View Post
    Like this?:

That's actually the website I found. That's what I am looking for.
    '09 BOWTECH S.W.A.T. / TROPHY TAKER / VITAL GEAR CAMELBACK / VIBRACHECK / GOLD TIP VELOCITY XT 400 / NAP THUNDERHEAD 85 / KWIKEE KWIVER COMBO 4

Quote Originally Posted by kinny View Post
    I could do something like that for you, I've got the jointer, table saw, planer, routers, 17" band saw, & jig saw. Your job would be to make a full sized template on paper and send it to me for me to copy onto the wood so I know exactly how big to make it. The only problem I forsee is that a portion of the detail would may be missing on the state boundaries, for example all the little turns and corners a river creates on the state border. Price is lots less than $150, probably 50-$75 depending on how big it is and assuming you want a reasonably priced wood like red or white oak, walnut, butternut.. and not exotic African species. Let me know.
    I don't need any special wood. I would even stain it myself. A cheaper wood would be fine. I have a few good, dark stains that would turn a cheap piece into a nice looking plaque. I just don't have the tools to do the job, and make the plaque well. Let me know.

That one listed for $80 I believe. I'll send the link PM.
    Last edited by michihunter; November 24th, 2007 at 02:49 PM.

Contact Tronjo here on the site, he will hook you up.
    Proud to be a Bowhunter.

The detail on that plaque is most certainly "do-able". I will not however, no offense, EVER send out an unfinished piece of furniture to a customer for them to finish themselves. There is SO much more to a real quality job than going to Home Depot and buying stain and polyurethane (two things you'll almost never get on my work). It may take me a total of 2 hours to make that plaque from rough sawn lumber, but up to a 1 & 1/2 weeks to get the finish done. Getting the template to work from would be the most difficult part of the job.
    The difference in cost of using "cheap" wood and a beautiful wood is minimal for a job that size, less than $15 difference for red oak vs cherry or walnut.
    I've got to work the remainder of this weekend so PM me if you have more questions. Scott