Thread: How to remove tusks from hogs...

How to remove tusks from hogs...

Ok here is my deal.

I'm going on a hog hunt (see my broad and now I want to know how to remove the tusks from the hogs. I am looking to make a tusk necklace for me and my boys. My father in law will let me take his as well. My wife does not want a hogs head in the house and I don't really want to spend money on a mount either. Just not important to me...except for when my sons get one.

Anyway, back to the topic. How do I remove the tusks from the mouths of the hogs? What tools should I use...any dentists on here feel free to weigh in.

Is it easy, hard...etc. I just want to make a nice necklace to wear or hang from my rearview mirror on my hunting truck.

Paul
    "As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God" (Psalm 42:1, NIV).
    3rd BTN, 9th Marines---Semper Fi!!!
    2010 Elite Judge 70# @ 26"...415 grain arrow at 275 FPS for 69#'s of KE.
    67 1/4" Osage Self bow 51#'s @ 26"
    Paulie G. http://www.vortexoptics.com/

just cut around the gums and they should come out. If you look at a hog mount and notice that the bases of the tusk look alot whiter than the tips, it is because the taxadermist pulled them out some. The tusks are probally 3-4 tims longer than what you see exposed.

Another thing you can do, is do an full skull european mount. Get all of the meet off of the top and bottom of the skull. Then bleach the teeth really white and use a glossy black paint on the skull. It turns out really neat. I saw a guy with one a few years ago and I am going to shoot a pig after deer season and before turkey to try this.

Quote Originally Posted by JPizzle View Post
    just cut around the gums and they should come out. If you look at a hog mount and notice that the bases of the tusk look alot whiter than the tips, it is because the taxadermist pulled them out some. The tusks are probally 3-4 tims longer than what you see exposed.

Another thing you can do, is do an full skull european mount. Get all of the meet off of the top and bottom of the skull. Then bleach the teeth really white and use a glossy black paint on the skull. It turns out really neat. I saw a guy with one a few years ago and I am going to shoot a pig after deer season and before turkey to try this.
    Do you have any pictures of this...depending on which one of us gets the bigger hog...I'll have to try this. It could be really fun.

Paul
    "As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God" (Psalm 42:1, NIV).

ttt

Thumbs up tusks

Cut the lower jaw bone behind the teeth and boil them to remove the teeth.
    After the teeth are removed keep cutting small sections of jaw bone off until the hollow (back end) of the tusk shows the push them out backwards.
    They will be at least 3 times longer than what is sticking out of the jaw bone.
    After they are out of the jaw you need to boil them again and use a dental pick to remove the nerve.
    After the inside of the tusk is cleaned out and it has dried acouple of days you will need to fill the inside of the tusk with epoxy (the extended working time kind) so that they don't dry out and crack.
    A coat of clear polyurthane on the outside will help keep them drying out too much.
    Hope this helps
    Charlie

that qustion would be better answered by Rosie Odonnell's dentist

J/K, good luck
    Not as smart or as good looking as punch master but I charge 1/4 of what he does & I take coupons

DON'T CUT THE JAW BONE.
    The tusks run all the way back to the back of the jaw,and 3/4 of the tusk is inside the jaw.
    Remove the whole jaw by cuting as much meat as possible away from the jaw, both inside and outside,right back to the hinge.
    Then pull the jaw as far back as it will go and dislocate it from the jaw sockets.
    Use heavy gloves when you do this,those teeth ain't for show.
    Once you've removed the jaw from the head,boil it slow for about a hour,,,or two.
    Then use a pair of padded pliers and work the tusks out.
    I've done dozens of them like this.
    Here's couple for encouragement,
    Go gett'em.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tusk

If you want to be sure not to damage the skull or the tusks for example if you were going to score him, you can alway boil the skull in you turkey fryer. Add some detergent like tide and boil for about 12 hours. Everything will just fall off including the teeth. The roots of the teeth will be fragile and you may consider filling them with glue to keep the ends from chipping. BTW you would put the skull in the water after you caped it and reasonably trimmed the excess muscle as such off.

RI Max and Jack

Thanks for the advice. I love the pictures BTW.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Jack NZ View Post
    DON'T CUT THE JAW BONE.
    The tusks run all the way back to the back of the jaw,and 3/4 of the tusk is inside the jaw.
    Remove the whole jaw by cuting as much meat as possible away from the jaw, both inside and outside,right back to the hinge.
    Then pull the jaw as far back as it will go and dislocate it from the jaw sockets.
    Use heavy gloves when you do this,those teeth ain't for show.
    Once you've removed the jaw from the head,boil it slow for about a hour,,,or two.
    Then use a pair of padded pliers and work the tusks out.
    I've done dozens of them like this.
    Here's couple for encouragement,
    Go gett'em.
    Best advice posted so far. I do the same method but I also use a dremmel tool to get around the jaw bone. Sometimes it is stubborn but take your time. you don't want to break the tusks because of impatience.

Here is my collection.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bow Junkie, Archery Addict and Killer of Foam

Quote Originally Posted by j3dgu View Post
    Best advice posted so far. I do the same method but I also use a dremmel tool to get around the jaw bone. Sometimes it is stubborn but take your time. you don't want to break the tusks because of impatience.

Here is my collection.

Wow...

Hey j3dgu, I am liking that slab of wood under the tusks!
    2007 Bowtech Tribute 60#
    Limbdriver, HHA Optimizer Lite 5019
    Rage two-blade, Goldtip XT hunters 5575 Black
    Line #4 for rent

Quote Originally Posted by CWG View Post
    Hey j3dgu, I am liking that slab of wood under the tusks!
    It is a refurbished old table that I found in a warehouse. It has been painted over with phone numbers and names carved in it. With a little TLC and alot of sanding, staining and elbow grease I was able to give the table a second life.
    Bow Junkie, Archery Addict and Killer of Foam