Thread: NAA Board Election Update

NAA Board Election Update

http://www.usarchery.org/userfiles/f...0_12.17.07.pdf

I am very proud of the Nominating and Governance Committee. It is clear to me that they want to do the right thing, and are taking appropriate measures.

My hat is off to Jeff Benz and all of the members of his committee. They have a very thankless job to do, and I am sure worked very hard to find an equitible solution to some really difficult problems.

Thank you Jeff, and everyone else on the committee!

Always Strive to do What is Right
    PM me if you'd like to own your own archery store in Huntsville, AL
    BEST Zenit Riser
    W&W Limbs
    REDHDCHARM string loop material

So do I get free identity theft protection for the envelope they sent me?

Quote Originally Posted by Selil View Post
    So do I get free identity theft protection for the envelope they sent me?
    I'm sure the committee was just as horrified as you and I were when they learned of that little feauxpaus.
    Always Strive to do What is Right
    PM me if you'd like to own your own archery store in Huntsville, AL
    BEST Zenit Riser
    W&W Limbs
    REDHDCHARM string loop material

Quote Originally Posted by Recordkeeper View Post
    I'm sure the committee was just as horrified as you and I were when they learned of that little feauxpaus.
    Yeah, I'd rather not be an example for my students.

That being said I can appreciate in light of the facts they chose the better option given the choices.

Hate to say it, but you've got to be kidding me
    If the director was supposed to vote on behalf of the club, then why in the world would they omit that individual's vote??? Sorry, but this is just rid-dicdamndiculous. Also if 80% of your voters didn't fill out the ballots properly, then you think there was a problem with the instructions? There should be no thinking, the data is right in front of them. However, you still won't get your vote RK, the mailman has your SS# and you are no longer the only RK in the world now...at least they are "fixing" it.

The directions for JOAD and Collegiate club directors were as clear as mud. The ballot and instructions stated that ballots with more than one candidate marked would not count. Nowhere did the instructions state that JOAD and Collegiate club directors COULD AND SHOULD vote twice, once as an individual for their personal ranking, and once as the club director.

I can see this one ending up in court, wasting our dues money over a poorly planned and executed election. The nominating committee is trying to make this right, and I give them all the credit and kudos they deserve. The questions are "can they do this legally", and "who is going to fight them on this?"

Is it not a little late to be worrying about voter (Member) rights?

I figure they had three options:
    1) Set the entire election aside and start over from scratch (likely not legal though the election is likely to be challenged anyways).

2) Extend, advance, change or manipulate the problem areas of the ballot so that they could fix as much as possible (the option they took).

3) Ignore the issue and let the election go forward as it was done (and the VERY likely legal challenges for disenfranchisement of many members).

It looks like the big target was number 2 and the most logical. What they do within that option now that was up for grabs.

OK, but in the five or six month-long delay from when they were supposed to have the election, someone should have thought through the process. They should have looked over the ballot and considered all possible options and combinations of categories of voters and established clear directions. They could have sent additional separate ballots to club directors, etc.

I'm not impressed. I hope the new board members, whenever they finally take over, do a better job.

Actually, I was referring to the fact that this new structure reduced the effective voting authority (influence) of the average member by about 80% while at the same time increasing small minorities such as judges by enormous proportions. Moreover, none of us ever had a say in it.

Now I am reading about legal challenges over relatively harmless flaws. This does not compute.

USA Vollyball

Looks like USA Volleyball is getting ready to do the same thing we are doing.
    I just hope it runs better for them.
    This process has just ran on too long with too many mixkups.

This is from a Colorado Newspaper:
    Olympic notes: USA Volleyball prepares for reorganization
    (Gazette, The (Colorado Springs, CO) (KRT) Via Thomson Dialog NewsEdge) Dec. 16--Nearly 40 people are being considered for the USA Volleyball board of directors in the Colorado Springs-based national governing body's first reorganization in eight years.

The Initial Nominating and Governance Committee of USA Volleyball began reviewing applications this month. The 16-person board -- 15 members will have votes -- should be named in April.

"We want this board to think more globally," said Colorado Springs resident Rose Snyder, chair of the INGC. "That's the goal of every NGB -- get a board that's focused on governance and less on the day-to-day decisions. They're going to change the way they do business a little bit."

The current board, which will remain in place through the Beijing Games in August, consists of 30 voting members. It unanimously approved a motion last January to restructure itself in response to the governance guidelines recommended by the U.S. Olympic Committee in 2005.

The new board will represent both Olympic disciplines -- indoor volleyball and beach volleyball. There will be three independent directors, one non-voting, at-large director and 12 board members comprised of athlete directors and directors from the various volleyball constituencies.

"I feel very good about the new governance," said Doug Beal, chief executive officer of USA Volleyball. "Our new board has lots of advantages for the future of the sport and the future of USA Volleyball. Being smaller certainly is one of them. The board much more directly represents the current world of volleyball."

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Cornell View Post

"We want this board to think more globally," said Colorado Springs resident Rose Snyder, chair of the INGC. "That's the goal of every NGB -- get a board that's focused on governance and less on the day-to-day decisions. They're going to change the way they do business a little bit."

."
    Why should USA Volleyball care what about [U]"said Colorado Springs resident Rose Snyder, chair of the INGC."[/U]

I love these kinds of statements. Trying to make a purse out of a pigs ear.

Who is the INGC anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Recordkeeper View Post
    http://www.usarchery.org/userfiles/f...0_12.17.07.pdf

I am very proud of the Nominating and Governance Committee. It is clear to me that they want to do the right thing, and are taking appropriate measures.

My hat is off to Jeff Benz and all of the members of his committee. They have a very thankless job to do, and I am sure worked very hard to find an equitible solution to some really difficult problems.

Thank you Jeff, and everyone else on the committee!

I have seen street riots and looting rampages better organized than this election my wife never received a ballot for one. some of my adult members received them after the due date.
    SUPPORT OUR TROOPS
    TARGETWORLD/HOYT Staff Shooter
    Proud CEO of Cincinnati Junior Olympians-the first JOAD CLUB
    I buy from BCY