Thread: Unit 23 & 31 Colorado Elk

Unit 23 & 31 Colorado Elk

I've got my first chance to go elk hunting in 2008. I am going with some friends to an area between Rifle and Meeker. Does anyone know anything about this area that they can share? I would really appreciate any help, this is my first time. I think its in Units 23 and 31? not real sure.

THanks, Greg

Its not what I do.........Its who I am..

hire - drive - buy - be

AMERICAN

I've never hunted that area, it is a little north of me. Some of that area is supposed to have good elk and deer herds. It is not as rugged as the area I live in (unit 43). This is good and bad. It will be easier to hunt, but I think rugged mountains protect some of the bulls. Some OTC units that have less rugged terrain have fewer good bulls, but it should be a good time. There is no hunting like hunting elk in the rut. Any legal bull in an OTC unit in Colorado is a good bull, so have fun.

Fair number of elk. Lots of roads and natural gas traffic. Some really nice bulls came out of there this year (Unit 23). Right next to where I hunt.
    Bowtech Bows, Browning Rifles and Shotguns, Sage, Scott and Loomis fly rods - tools of the trade

I have hunted areas 12, 13, 23 and 24. Seen a couple of 5x5s on public land last year and one guy killed a nice 6x6 in thw White River national forest area. This is where I would go.DIY backpack hunt. We hunted muleys the first day up in that area last year 2nd rifle season. That place is loaded with elk though. There is an access point near Buford. There is a little country store there, you can pick up some great info there if you just sit around there and have lunch.
    There is also a place there called Ute lodge. If you are going to go the lodge route this is where I would start. In 2006 I believe the price for a cabin, horse and one of the guides would take you into the Flatop wilderness area and show you some good spots (guides would be$$ if you wanted anythingmore that the point outs, but at least they point you iin the right direction) I think was around $1000.00 I think that included 2 meals for the week.( 5or 7days not sure). Check into Flat top wilderness area also.There are plent of elk up in the area and make sure you take you camera.
    THis year in 3rd rifle season it was way to hot, didnt hear to many good stories up to that point. But the next time I head out that way I will be trying for both elk and muleys. Good luck to you. Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks a ton guys! The more info and more prepared I am the better. Happy Holidays to you!

Greg

hire - drive - buy - be

AMERICAN

bump

hire - drive - buy - be

AMERICAN

Unit 23 is a draw unit....unit 31 is OTC and much closer to Grand Junction. Depends where in unit 23. While it may not be as steep as some areas, there is a lot of oak brush in parts. Personally, I'd rather hunt the steeps than oak brush. Lots of elk in 23, especially later in the season.
    2006 LH Bowtech Old Glory 70#, 32 1/2" draw, back to the Hostage rest, SH 7-pin Hunter, 500gr TR Crush 300 @ 285fps.
    2007 LH Bowtech Commander 60#, 32" draw, Limbdriver rest, BG 5-pin Flashpoint.
    2014 PSE Freak SP 70#, 32" draw, not set up yet.

Access in unit 31 stinks for the most part with quite a bit of landlocked private. Some good bulls in there though.

I do some work on about 12,000 acres in unit 23. I wish I was able to hunt it. I don't know much about the rest of the unit though.
    The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard