Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help butchering a frozen deer!

Help butchering a frozen deer!

I need help butchering a frozen deer. The meat is way to hard to do anything with it. I know its easiest to do it right after the kill but that wasn't possible and unfortunately it froze solid before I could get to it since the temp's the last couple of nights have got into single digits and below. The only thing I can come up with is either A) Put a space heater by it all day tomorrow and hope that its soft enough when I come home from work ( but then there is the worry of it starting a fire.) or B) Putting it in the tub and letting it thaw out although I'm sure that answer B won't fly with the missus. The temps look to be in the mid-40's for the next three or four days with lows in the high 20's but I'm afraid that won't thaw it out enough either. A saw is out of the question as I'm not a fan of bone fragments in my meat. Thanks in advance.

Summerville, South Carolina, United States
    Do you know anyone with a garage or shed that you could get some heat into?????The problem I see, is that the meat is froze and you have to thaw it to process it...From what I have always been told, once meat is froze then unthawed you dont want to freeze it again...I would probably find someone with a garage or shed that is heated, let it unthaw and make the meat into burger or you could even can the meat. my .02
    Mathews Chill w/ Rock Mods #70 28.5 "Draw
    QAD Ultra Rest
    HHA DS-5019 Ultra Bow Sight
    Gold Tip Pro w/blazers
    G5 T3 100gr

Do you have a sawzall?
    The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard

If the hide is still on your screwed. The hair will insulate the meat and it will stay frozen for a long time.

I have skinned frozen deer....and its a cold arse job!!! like to add to what the previous post said...although the hide may be froze you can take it off....it definately needs to come off ASAP
    QAD Ultra Rest
    Gold Tip Pro w/blazers
    G5 T3 100gr

I have a garage just no way to really get heat into it except for a couple space heaters. I actually have two deer to do. One that has been skinned and one that I started skinning tonight and you are right its a pain in the arse but can be done. Whats the reasoning behind once the meat is unthawed to not freeze it again? I don't mind making everything else into burger but would like to keep the backstraps as steaks.

Get some decent gloves and get to work. The worst part about butchering a frozen deer is your hands get incredibly cold...FAST! If you can keep your hands off the meat it slows down the cooling of your hands.

A sharp knife and patience is needed to get the job done. Keep a sharpener handy to keep the blade sharp. A thin blade fishing fillet knife works wonderfully on a lot of the cuts.

Will it be as easy as thawed meat? Nope. But it is doable. And the meat will be better prepared if you keep it frozen. If you thaw it and then refreeze it you risk losing some of the flavor at best...bacteria set in at worst.

Nate
    Bear Whitetail Hunter Retired 7/06
    2005 PSE Primos STL Hybrid cams - retired 2013
    2013 Matthews Creed Totally Lost Camo - 30" DL 67 lbs
    Axis Obsiession 340 29"
    Buzz Cuts 100gr

Quote Originally Posted by BullRush View Post
    I have a garage just no way to really get heat into it except for a couple space heaters. I actually have two deer to do. One that has been skinned and one that I started skinning tonight and you are right its a pain in the arse but can be done. Whats the reasoning behind once the meat is unthawed to not freeze it again? I don't mind making everything else into burger but would like to keep the backstraps as steaks.
    Not sure the reasoning behind refreezing....I hunted with a butchers son for many years and that is just what I was told...Sorry....If you could get the hide off...and put the space heaters in they should slowly unthaw...and you are right about the backstraps and tenderloins...I would prob take my chances and cookem up
    QAD Ultra Rest
    Gold Tip Pro w/blazers
    G5 T3 100gr

I gotta laugh cause I've done the same thing. Bring it in for a day if it's froze solid. quarter it down with a saws all, garbage bag it and bring it in to thaw.
    " We all got it coming kid.... "

Half frozen meat is easier to butcher, and IMO will not cause you any refreezing problems. Lots of people recommend getting meat half frozen so it doesn't squish around like jello when trying to cut it. I would quarter it and put it inside in some of those big plastic tubs and cut it up tommorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by skynight View Post
    Half frozen meat is easier to butcher, and IMO will not cause you any refreezing problems. Lots of people recommend getting meat half frozen so it doesn't squish around like jello when trying to cut it. I would quarter it and put it inside in some of those big plastic tubs and cut it up tommorrow.
    the deer is already froze...getting it unfroze half way is different then freezing it halfway
    QAD Ultra Rest
    Gold Tip Pro w/blazers
    G5 T3 100gr

Find somebody who has a bandsaw.....that is what any big butcher shop uses to cut up frozen sections......just keep going until the deer is done.
    Elite Energy 32
    HHA
    QAD HDX
    Bee Stinger
    Easton Axis

maybe a sawzall and a fine metal tooth cutting blade? that would keep the bone frags down pluss you could rinse the cuts with water rebag and freeze ? i dont know ive never cut my own deer )

Don't worry about the whole frozen then thawed then frozen again problem. The meat is still good to eat, the problem is that when the meat is frozen it breaks a lot of the cells and then as it is thawed that moisture from those burst cells is released. The meat is wetter and if allowed to get warm it allows bacteria to breed, just keep it cold and allow it to dry some before freezing again. If you refreeze it without letting it dry the moisture will form bigger crystals and damage more of the meat. This is very similar to what you see in freezer burn.

get er done

sometimes you have to do the best you can....some folk hang em till they turn black........cut off some shoulders or such and take in the house and let them thaw some or have your wife bring in the houe a couple hours before you get home...... i like to slice the ham,backstraps,loins while partly froze,,real thin...... get r done>>>>>>>>>>

Seriously..

#60 Hoyt Vector Turbo MAX-1, #60 Hoyt Alphaburner Blackout
    #45 Hoyt Ruckus, TradTech Pinnacle #43 Kaya Carbon Limbs
    Whalen's Hooker Releases & Bowfinger PRO Staffer
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ArchersP...0?feature=mhee
    http://www.youtube.com/user/realtubular?feature=mhum

Quote Originally Posted by BowtechArch View Post

Seriously..

Agree

long time

Quote Originally Posted by Buckblood View Post
    If the hide is still on your screwed. The hair will insulate the meat and it will stay frozen for a long time.

I froze a doe this year (last month) and I dragged it into the basement and hung it overnight. Was soft enough to skin the next day.

Quartered it and started in and it was still about 1/2 frozen, but manageable.
    Mike, proud member of the NCWID!
    USA
    PROUD MEMBER OF OHM RESISTANCE
    AR34 RAM.5 / PSE Bow Madness 32 Extreme sights, WB rests

I use a 12" Blade.....

BTW Milwaukee makes Stainless Steel blades, too!!
    #60 Hoyt Vector Turbo MAX-1, #60 Hoyt Alphaburner Blackout
    #45 Hoyt Ruckus, TradTech Pinnacle #43 Kaya Carbon Limbs
    Whalen's Hooker Releases & Bowfinger PRO Staffer
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ArchersP...0?feature=mhee
    http://www.youtube.com/user/realtubular?feature=mhum

I think the space heater idea is bad wont the smell get into the meat.I dont know what the weather is gonna be next week but it only takes one good warm day out of the skin to be able to process it...good luck

We had 2 deer freeze on us in the machine shed.Turned on the salamander(heater) and in 2 hrs the one was skin-able. the other I had skinned already and it was ready to be cut up. Put a heater on them, no problem.

throw em in the bathtub....just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by bigbowman14 View Post
    the deer is already froze...getting it unfroze half way is different then freezing it halfway
    I got that it is frozen....which is why I recommended he quarter it and bring it inside in plastic tubs to partly unthaw.

frozen deer

ive done a few frozen deer up , and your better of letting it thaw ,your only risking stabing yourself or cutting your fingers.

Well I got the job done with just a few small cuts. Actually my biggest cut was from a deer bone going into my hands. But now I have another question. Some of my deer meat that I'm going to turn into jerky, etc kind of has a brownish color to it not that nice red color the muscles usually have. Not sure how it happened as the deer was always frozen solid until it became slightly softer before I cut it up. Also it has a little bit different smell. To me it doesn't exactly smell rotten or bad, its just different more gamey like. Is this meat still good to be ground or am I SOL with it? Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast