a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: An update on the C4 with C.A.T. Cams

An update on the C4 with C.A.T. Cams

Well. . . I've been tinkering with the bow for a while now, so I thought I'd post an update.

-Frsit thing I changed was the string. I got rid of the cheap string I had on there in favor of a Nealy string. I still have the winners choice cables on the bow.
    -I also got rid of the trophy taker and went to a NAP Quicktune 3000.
    -I changed the nock out for a short D-Loop, and added a fletcher peep.
    -I backed the bow out 2.25 turns, which put the bow at 70lbs.

--- This resulted in a loss of about 9 fps, averaging 300.7fps. ---

Next, working off Pugs suggestion, I started adding twists to the cables. I worked with the same 350grn arrow as before.
    -To start, the draw length was 27.625".
    --- I worked in .5 twist increments, and was able to get the average speed up to 303.7fps. This was at 1.5 twists into the cables. The draw length is now 27.75". ---
    -Above this I began to loose speed.

Convince I had as much spped as possible, I moved on to getting the thing to shoot. This was a chore to start with.

I backed the bolts 2 more turns which put the bow at 63lbs; perfect for me for 3D. Also, I switched the NAP rest out for a blade rest. I added a serving tied kisser button, and went to town.

The first arrows I tried were GT 3555's. WOW. Bad.

Eventually I ended up putting my GT X-Cutters in there. WOW! Good! Shooting at a vegas target, I was able to consistently hold the arrows in the ten ring. These arrows weigh in at 410grns and were moving along at 271fps on average.

After all this tinkering, I've some conclusions about my bow:
    -The heavier the arrow, the better the thing shoots. Also, the shot vibration is greatly decreased with the heavier arrows.
    -Did I mention the 6" brace height? Yeah, it is a bit picky. But as long as I do my part, the bow shoots great.
    -I really like the draw stop peg. I don't think I'd be able to shoot the bow nearly as well if it were not there. It really gives a solid wall to pull against.

Some more questions if anyone can help:
    -I've got the draw stop peg set such that the flat part of the module does not touch the cables. This gives me less let off, which I prefer. Would the bow be faster if I set the peg on the other side of the valley?
    -How much more flex would the limbs handle? Could I shorten the string and cables to make a shorter bow and increase the brace height?
    -I also need a name for the bow. . . Any Ideas? thinking the "Cougar Camcoction" or "C4.65". . .

Here's a link to the original thread: http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=606904

Thanks for the help guys!
    "He who gives attention to the word [the Bible] will find good, and blessed is he who trusts in the Lord [Jesus]." - Proverbs 16:20

-I've got the draw stop peg set such that the flat part of the module does not touch the cables. This gives me less let off, which I prefer. Would the bow be faster if I set the peg on the other side of the valley?
    -How much more flex would the limbs handle? Could I shorten the string and cables to make a shorter bow and increase the brace height?

Anybody?
    "He who gives attention to the word [the Bible] will find good, and blessed is he who trusts in the Lord [Jesus]." - Proverbs 16:20

ttt

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyarcher1 View Post
    I guess to anser this question we would have to setup a bow like yours and test it. Try moving your draw stop peg and see ig you can get more speed... That would be the easiest....

As for more flex, I have no idea right now I have not built a custon one yet and have not tested the limbs to see how far you can flex the without problems......
    LeEarl

Quote Originally Posted by LeEarl View Post
    I guess to anser this question we would have to setup a bow like yours and test it. Try moving your draw stop peg and see ig you can get more speed... That would be the easiest....

As for more flex, I have no idea right now I have not built a custon one yet and have not tested the limbs to see how far you can flex the without problems......
    If the shop is slow tomorrow, I'll do some work with the draw stop.

Do you know, is the martin tech guy (Joel) out of the office this week or just really busy? I can't seem to get a hold of him.

Anyhow, thanks for the info.

I've also thought of switching to the SE limbs cups. Any guesses as to the brace height and ata? 7.5" and 30" maybe?

brace height

thought the brace height on this bow to start was 7"?

how does putting twist in, increase draw lenghth?

You didn't play with the stops?

The brace height is around 6.125"

And as for the adjusting draw length with the cables, here is my thinking. If you tighten both cables, the ata should decrease, right? So that would make the string long in proportion to the cables, causing the cam to rotate, and changing the draw length. . . That sound right?

I have not had a chance to play with the stops yet, to answer your other question.

Last update for a while.

Looked at the bow today, and both limbs were cracked! At the bottom of the forks, on the cable side of the limb (right side looking from the back of the bow). I am guessing this is due to the amount of load I had on the limbs.

Now I'm not sure what to do. If I can get a hold of a set of B Nitrous cams and some 14" mag limbs, I may just build that bow.

Other option I see is to get some more 13" reinforced limbs and some SE limbs cups and try that configuration.

Any suggestions? Anybody wanna trade some Ntrous B cams for a set of CAT cams?

??

Last update for a while.

Looked at the bow today, and both limbs were cracked! At the bottom of the forks, on the cable side of the limb (right side looking from the back of the bow). I am guessing this is due to the amount of load I had on the limbs.

Now I'm not sure what to do. If I can get a hold of a set of B Nitrous cams and some 14" mag limbs, I may just build that bow.

Other option I see is to get some more 13" reinforced limbs and some SE limbs cups and try that configuration.

Any suggestions? Anybody wanna trade some Ntrous B cams for a set of CAT cams?
    How much load did you have on the limbs??
    Those without decency should be fought tirelessly, and without pity.

Im gettin pretty good at barely gettin by....

Here's a pic:
    Attached Images Attached Images

well...

Do you have a hard measurement at rest??
    Those without decency should be fought tirelessly, and without pity.

Im gettin pretty good at barely gettin by....

No, I took the bow apart as soon as I found the cracks.

How would I measure that?

i didnt gain any speed off the draw stop all the way back just a sharp drop off of the cam? i cant seem to get my posts even on both wheels? one is about 1/16 the other is 1/8? i have my slayer rapped up pretty tight and its doing 327 @ 29" 350g. arrow 70 lb. i want it in the 330's???

If the shop is slow tomorrow, I'll do some work with the draw stop.

Do you know, is the martin tech guy (Joel) out of the office this week or just really busy? I can't seem to get a hold of him.

Anyhow, thanks for the info.
    He's around, just spoke with him yesterday (Friday)... It did take me a week to get him on the phone though