Thread: New Board of Directors for the NAA/USAA

New Board of Directors for the NAA/USAA

NAA/USAA has posted the newly elected Board of Directors on the USA Archery web site. I know a lot of folks have been patiently waiting for the announcement. It was posted just a few minutes ago.

Neil

http://usarchery.org
    Last edited by archerNF; January 18th, 2008 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by archerNF View Post
    NAA/USAA has posted the newly elected Board of Directors on the USA Archery web site. I know a lot of folks have been patiently waiting for the announcement. It was posted just a few minutes ago.

Neil

Thanks for the information Neil!

And congratulations to all of the new directors! I wish you all the best of luck, as the NAA needs your help!

That said, I must also write that I am very, very disappointed with how this election was conducted. On December 17, 2007, The Nominating and Governance Committee wrote that the NAA was going to take measures to correct some of the election process problems. Specifically, they stated that all of the JOAD and College clubs would be contacted and given a fair chance to vote.

http://usarchery.org/userfiles/file/...0_12.17.07.pdf

Unfortunately, this did not happen. My club was never contacted, and never given the opportunity to vote. I know of other clubs that were left silent as well. After having lost much credibility after the embezzlement that leaked out last year, this was a chance for the NAA to regain some credibility. Instead, this is another black eye.

This is bad form. Very bad form.

Chris Olsen
    Huntsville Archery Club, a JOAD and adult club NAA affiliate
    Huntsville, AL
    Always Strive to do What is Right
    PM me if you'd like to own your own archery store in Huntsville, AL
    BEST Zenit Riser
    W&W Limbs
    REDHDCHARM string loop material

So this is what being disenfranchised feels like.... wow.

Chris,
    I respect your opinion, and I think you know how frustrating this process has been for the NAA/USAA. And of course for me. However, let me remind you, and others who may be critical of our organization that the current BoG, the office, and all of us (members) had nothing to do with the election procedure. That said, we will have complete control of the next election process.
    Neil

congrats to the newly chosen.....oops...i mean elected officials......

I wish I could use "not my fault". Heck I don't let my 8 year olds use that one.

A lack of transparency begets a lack of trust and that is realized in disenfranchisement of the membership. The election was a travesty that will tarnish the good character of several people and cast light on the hubris of those who engineered it.

Chris,
    I respect your opinion, and I think you know how frustrating this process has been for the NAA/USAA. And of course for me. However, let me remind you, and others who may be critical of our organization that the current BoG, the office, and all of us (members) had nothing to do with the election procedure. That said, we will have complete control of the next election process.
    Neil
    Neil,

Will the NAA be releasing the vote counts for each candidate?
    BEST Zenit Riser
    W&W Limbs

I am so disappointed that this is the best a governance board could do

A blight on the American conscience has always been the egregious methods used to disenfranchise the American voter. Whether we’re talking about racism, regionalism, poll taxes or the heretical gerrymandering of voting constituencies as a nation we recognized the inherent evil in the violation of the voting process and have tried to fix the problems.

Whether bound by the rules and laws and regardless of the rights of the organization almost every business and non-profit in the nation has adopted the highest level of fair and representative democratic process. The processes laid out by non-profit law in this case of NAA/USAA fraudulence likely have not been followed. It is obvious that a willful and egregious power play has occurred at the expense of process and fairness.

The losers in this political malfeasance are the members, the people with votes uncounted, clubs unrepresented, and athletes abandoned for an untenable ethically bankrupt position. The benefactors of this process have slain the sacrificial goat and the members bleed to fill the urns of discontent. The board of governors at NAA/USAA may claim the right to determine the process of Olympic athletes, but their position is morally bankrupt in the fallacy of fairness to the electorate.

The abysmal absence of moral turpitude and the obvious prurient objectification of power leave the membership swaying in the reek of a political pathos. This is an election without basis in reality, a vote without majority representation, a process without precedent, and a dictatorial abuse of power. There may be no other option to the membership but to shun the organization. The members may be required to resist the golden gleam of illegitimacy and demand NAA/USAA seek a pattern of behavior that better reflects the spirit of an Olympic sanctioning governing board.

The illegitimate electoral process and the exclusion of the electorate jeopardizes the credibility of every athlete, every supporter, every sponsor, and every member. It may be easy to say let mistakes be forgotten. Many things are often easier than doing the right thing. Character and honor are the hallmarks of those who do the difficult thing and the right thing when it is easiest not to do. A governance board with the role to fill Olympic seats should be better than the petty political gerrymandering every member has been victimized with by this travesty of an election.
    Last edited by Selil; January 19th, 2008 at 12:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Selil View Post
    A blight on the American conscience has always been the egregious methods used to disenfranchise the American voter. Whether we’re talking about racism, regionalism, poll taxes or the heretical gerrymandering of voting constituencies as a nation we recognized the inherent evil in the violation of the voting process and have tried to fix the problems.

Whether bound by the rules and laws and regardless of the rights of the organization almost every business and non-profit in the nation has adopted the highest level of fair and representative democratic process. The processes laid out by non-profit law in this case of NAA/USAA fraudulence likely have not been followed. It is obvious that a willful and egregious power play has occurred at the expense of process and fairness.

The losers in this political malfeasance are the members, the people with votes uncounted, clubs unrepresented, and athletes abandoned for an untenable ethically bankrupt position. The benefactors of this process have slain the sacrificial goat and the members bleed to fill the urns of discontent. The board of governors at NAA/USAA may claim the right to determine the process of Olympic athletes, but their position is morally bankrupt in the fallacy of fairness to the electorate.

The abysmal absence of moral turpitude and the obvious prurient objectification of power leave the membership swaying in the reek of a political pathos. This is an election without basis in reality, a vote without majority representation, a process without precedent, and a dictatorial abuse of power. There may be no other option to the membership but to shun the organization. The members may be required to resist the golden gleam of illegitimacy and demand NAA/USAA seek a pattern of behavior that better reflects the spirit of an Olympic sanctioning governing board.

The illegitimate electoral process and the exclusion of the electorate jeopardizes the credibility of every athlete, every supporter, every sponsor, and every member. It may be easy to say let mistakes be forgotten. Many things are often easier than doing the right thing. Character and honor are the hallmarks of those who do the difficult thing and the right thing when it is easiest not to do. A governance board with the role to fill Olympic seats should be better than the petty political gerrymandering every member has been victimized with by this travesty of an election.
    This post reminds me of the scene in "Saving Private Ryan" where Tom Hanks' character says, "Now pay attention, this is how you gripe..."

-Andrew

An individual appointed by the National Field Archery Association (in process)

The hells this mean?

Yeah, checked my (collegiate) club's mailbox again today, school mailbox, and my mail pile at home. Distinctly ballot-less.

But I'm not worrying, I'm sure it will be arriving in another month or two.

Chris,
    I respect your opinion, and I think you know how frustrating this process has been for the NAA/USA. And of course for me. However, let me remind you, and others who may be critical of our organization that the current BoG, the office, and all of us (members) had nothing to do with the election procedure. That said, we will have complete control of the next election process.
    Neil
    If neither the BOG (you) or the membership had anything to do with this then how did it happen. Hint, read the by-laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Recordkeeper View Post

And congratulations to all of the new directors! I wish you all the best of luck, as the NAA needs your help!

That said, I must also write that I am very, very disappointed with how this election was conducted. On December 17, 2007, The Nominating and Governance Committee wrote that the NAA was going to take measures to correct some of the election process problems. Specifically, they stated that all of the JOAD and College clubs would be contacted and given a fair chance to vote.

Unfortunately, this did not happen. My club was never contacted, and never given the opportunity to vote. I know of other clubs that were left silent as well. After having lost much credibility after the embezzlement that leaked out last year, this was a chance for the NAA to regain some credibility. Instead, this is another black eye.

Chris Olsen
    Huntsville, AL
    Chris: I guess I read this differently. I took it that if your club failed to properly cast their vote, they would get a new ballot. Not that every club got a new ballot.

That said, our club never got their first ballot or their second ballot. So what does that tell you.

I can't say a thing Having said that, here goes. After the names of the various candidates was released, I started researching their qualifications. Some from bios. on the USAA site others from individual personal posts on this forum. The day my ballot came I got right on it, marking the ones I felt would do the best job in each category. Then I realized," hey dumb one, you are just a plane old member , nothing special,you can only vote in one category." So since my ballot was all marked through, erased & a general mess, plus the fact that the only vote I had was between two people I didn't know anything about other than what the USAA site had to say about them ( I don't get out much), I put the whole thing in the *@!$ can. SO I can't say a thing

Fritz
    "Forget, your last shot"

Quote Originally Posted by FLarcherymom View Post
    Chris: I guess I read this differently. I took it that if your club failed to properly cast their vote, they would get a new ballot. Not that every club got a new ballot.

That said, our club never got their first ballot or their second ballot. So what does that tell you.
    This is exactly what I am saying. Our club never got a ballot, and then when they committed to contacting each club so they could vote, we still never got a ballot and we were never contacted. Our club was silenced in this election.
    BEST Zenit Riser
    W&W Limbs

Aim high - strive for competence

I've met many fine, intelligent and dedicated people through archery, including a number with excellent management skills, so it's really disheartening to see how many ways this process has been botched. I don't know if I agree with those who allege a conspiracy, but it certainly brings the new BOG under a cloud.

I suggest that they agree to act as a caretaker board, just "keeping the lights on" and carrying us through the Olympics before standing down and calling a new (and properly run) election. I know this is an expense for an organization with weak finances, but regaining the confidence of the membership should be worth it.

I e-mailed USA Archery after the vote asking if "heck of a job" Brownie had been hired to run the election (I could have added Karl Rove and Katherine Harris, but let's leave that one alone).

We need to have a leadership team in which we can have confidence. On the local level, volunteers run tournaments, coach and judge and keep the sport alive, and we'd feel a lot better if we had guidance and support from the national organization, rather than chaos.

The Nominating Committee acknowledges that the process of implementing the new bylaws and selecting a new Board of Directors did not run as smoothly as anticipated, largely due to the lack of a comprehensive and, apparently, complete membership database.
    This part of the announcement is what struck me in particular. What a difficult job of getting ballots out and auditing the votes if you don't have a good database of who the members are. It might be possible to look at the list and see members that are listed who should not be, but how do you look at the database and ascertain who is not on the list that should be? Somehow I think this issue is intractably linked to the embezzlement case.

For me as I look at the new BOD they are all good and competent people that I trust. Not all of them are ones I would have or did vote for, but they do satisfy my desire to get good qualified people in to solve the problems this organization faces. The nominating committee did make some recommendations on how to prevent this debacle from happening again and I have faith that the BOD will fix this. If we spend all of our time and energy finding who is at fault and redoing and then redoing again the election we are never going to move forward. I am going to give the new BOD the benefit of the doubt and any help I can to move forward. It is not perfect but it is a start and we are moving in the right direction.

I agree with Tom. Now that the BOD has been named (and I believe it is a well qualified group of individuals) we need to get behind them and help fix all that is broken. The group has a lot of archery experience, at all levels, and I'm hoping they can make USA Archery the organization it can be.
    Randi Smith
    Utah Hot Shots JOAD Coach
    US Paralympic Archery Team Head Coach

--------------
    Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts! (Albert Einstein)

Quote Originally Posted by Recordkeeper View Post

Chris Olsen
    Huntsville, AL

the oldest JOAD club in the USA didn't get one either despite our director was the past president of the NAA. I don't want to knock Denise Parker but what exactly is she doing as the JOAD director? Does she run a club?

My wife didn't get a ballot

Some one has very good grounds for a suit over this nonsense
    SUPPORT OUR TROOPS
    TARGETWORLD/HOYT Staff Shooter
    Proud CEO of Cincinnati Junior Olympians-the first JOAD CLUB
    I buy from BCY

Another perspective

Just to keep things interesting....

Recently I was given the task of updating a database of our state's organization's members that came directly from a quite large, very active (to be left un-named here, organization, not the NAA/USA). Our purpose was to create a mailing list to advertise an upcoming event..... I was shocked to see how many names were still in said database that I know for a fact have been either out of the sport for years, or even deceased, (can you imagine that!). No way for us to know if we have succeeded in correcting it yet... other than to take one at a time and delete the pieces of returned mail....which we are doing so far... still waiting to see if anymore pieces come back to us undeliverable.

I can't imagine how to keep up with that type of info other than to create a database that automatically regroups it's members from currently paid up, to inactive each year at renewal time... as a database programmer... I can say with confidence that this is an easy one to do. Only problem for an organization might be, it wouldn't look so good if the membership didn't renew to the plus numbers each year.

I don't think that good recordkeeping (no reference to Mr. Recordkeeper intended there...) is archery's strong suit. Understatement of the new century...

Hopefully that will all change now...

Ii think we got a great group of new board members and an looking forward to seeing what they can do to make the NAA better. So, instead of continuing to complain about how the election was conducted, why don't we start letting our new board know what we expect of them and what the new direction of the NAA should be.

I will propose the first order of business:
    "Hire a reputable and experienced company to fix the member database."

Congratulations and best of luck to all of the newly elected board members.

Dee

Neil

First I would like to say congrats to all those that were appointed to there new positions.

Secondly I have a problem with the comment under Nancy Zorns name, As I feel she will do a great job she was not the only one nominated for this position!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

So sad this process was such a damn joke....

The problem with the "forget past mistakes" and "let's move on" mindset is, if no one is held accountable then no one will think they need to be accountable. And so it goes on and on and on and...

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by NAA
    COLORADO SPRINGS, CO— The USA Archery Initial Nominating and Governance Committee
    has announced the candidates for the USAA Board of Directors in the Judge, Coach,
    Grassroots – College, Grassroots – JOAD, and At-Large categories. Ballots will be mailed to all
    USAA voting members on November 5, 2007.
    “The Nominating Committee received nominations for extremely well-qualified individuals, and
    focused on selecting individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences,” said Nominating
    Committee Chair Jeff Benz. “The Committee feels confident that the USAA membership will be
    able to elect a very qualified and dynamic Board of Directors from the nominees.”
    All USA Archery members eligible to vote will receive a ballot by mail. Eligible members are
    those members who are at least eighteen (18) years of age and who have an active USAA
    membership in an eligible membership category as of sixty (60) days prior to the election. Each
    member will be eligible to vote for one candidate in the category of the member’s membership.
    If a member is eligible to vote in more than one category, the member must designate on his or
    her ballot, one category in which he or she will cast a vote.
    All members eligible to vote who do not receive a ballot by November 14, or if you receive a
    ballot in error, please contact nominating@usarchery.org.
    Ballot distribution and vote tabulation will be conducted by the USOC Audit Division, which
    regularly oversees such processes for various National Governing Bodies. All individual votes
    will be kept confidential from USA Archery staff and the Nominating Committee. Ballots must be
    returned to the USOC Audit Division and postmarked no later than November 19, 2007.
    Independent directors will be announced by the Nominating Committee concurrent with the
    announcement of the complete USAA Board of Directors.
    The candidates for the USAA Board of Directors in the following categories are:
    Judge Director
    Tom Green
    Leonard Schwade
    Coach Director
    Lawrence Sullivan
    Sheri Rhodes
    Steven Cornell
    Grassroots – College Director
    Bill Coady
    Derek Davis
    Grassroots – JOAD Director
    Denise Parker
    Kevin Eldredge
    Cindy Bevilacqua
    At-Large Director
    Stephen Lieberman
    Christine McCartney
    The five directors elected from these categories will join five other voting directors, Compound
    Athlete Representative Director, Recurve Athlete Representative Director, Allied Director, and
    two independent directors) to comprise the ten voting members of the Board of Directors.
    More information about the process can be found on the USA Archery website at
    http://www.usarchery.org/html/NominatingGovernance.html.
    Sounds to me like every member should have recieved a ballot

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    The problem with the "forget past mistakes" and "let's move on" mindset is, if no one is held accountable then no one will think they need to be accountable. And so it goes on and on and on and...

Dave
    Agreed. Something about ignoring history and being destined to repeat it, comes to mind.