Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sell everything you have and give to the poor??

Sell everything you have and give to the poor??

For quite some time now several people on this board who do not profess to be christians have been quoting the story where Jesus tells the rich young man to sell everything he has and give it to the poor. I want to get to the bottom of this and perhaps show these people that selling everything you own and giving away the money isn't a command from God for everyone that follows him. First I will post one of the versions (this one out of Mark) of the story.

The Rich Young Man
    17As Jesus started on his way, a man ran up to him and fell on his knees before him. "Good teacher," he asked, "what must I do to inherit eternal life?"

18"Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is goodŚexcept God alone. 19You know the commandments: 'Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony, do not defraud, honor your father and mother.'[d]"

20"Teacher," he declared, "all these I have kept since I was a boy."

21Jesus looked at him and loved him. "One thing you lack," he said. "Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

22At this the man's face fell. He went away sad, because he had great wealth.

23Jesus looked around and said to his disciples, "How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God!"

24The disciples were amazed at his words. But Jesus said again, "Children, how hard it is[e] to enter the kingdom of God! 25It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

26The disciples were even more amazed, and said to each other, "Who then can be saved?"

27Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God."

28Peter said to him, "We have left everything to follow you!"

29"I tell you the truth," Jesus replied, "no one who has left home or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields for me and the gospel 30will fail to receive a hundred times as much in this present age (homes, brothers, sisters, mothers, children and fieldsŚand with them, persecutions) and in the age to come, eternal life. 31But many who are first will be last, and the last first."

To me the key is that this is a rich young man. He was unwilling to part with his wealth. Look at verse 22 - "At this the man's face fell. He went away sad, because he had great wealth."

Jesus challenged this man about his money because He knew the man's great love for his wealth.

He had great wealth and was unwilling to put his love for Jesus and his commands above his wealth. This young man had a problem with priorities. He put his love for money above his love for God.

Jesus goes on to say "Children, how hard it is to enter the kingdom of God! It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God." He is saying this because being a follower of Christ and having the love of money do not go hand in hand. He is not saying it is wrong to have money, but rather that it makes it extremely difficult to have the love of God above the love of money when you have a lot of it.

Jesus then said that it becomes possible with God to have a great enough love that you would be willing to leave money behind and seek after God first.

IMO, you can substitute money for anything that you might love more than father God...whether that be women, cars, educational success, and even bowhunting

I hope a certain few people who often quote this passage along with references to Pork can have an open mind to what really might be being said. Post up your comments.

Nah I doubt it...but Swayrap....I also think that Jesus is saying that you can not buy into "heaven".....so all your money is only good here on Earth, but not with the God of the Bible......

You can reference that with what Jesus says about Give unto Ceasar.....
    Fair and Balanced with a splash of Sarcasm, and pinch of Reason

It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right.

That could be buckster. I am not trying to say my interpretation is the right or the only right one....only that those who take just one verse out of the passage and throw it around without discussing context are incorrect and doe the passage injustice.

Take it in the whole context of all of Jesus' teachings, how he lived and how his disciples lived.

If someone asks for your coat also give him the shirt off your back. That's not to that same person is it?

Even if your interpretation is correct, many Christian will not part with their money to help someone and they go to extremes to justify it.

I agree with "teach a man to fish" but many use that as their excuse to not feed the man and then they walk away without teaching him to fish either.

But if Jesus was saying to give away everything you own it is flawed logic because all that does is create another poor person.
    For instance, as a nation we have to help ourselves first or else we will no longer be strong enough to help others.
    So I doubt if the request was to actually give away everything, but there definitely is a concept of give until it hurts.

give "all mine"

i have ZERO to give !!!! the bible says,,,,,"and everything was made by HIM,,,,,,and without HIM,was not anything made,that was made".....this means if its in my possesion,,,,,it was made by GOD,,,,not me,,,,,,so how can i claim it as my own ???? i can only say i am "STEWART" over what HE has given to me....it all belongs to HIM,,,,and its all ABOUT HIM.....this is HIS dance not mine......HE owns all i have....FULLY
    Acts 10:13
    <+><

....but, then again there is Luke 14:33 which says "no man can be my disciple unless he forakes all his possesions".

And what is a disciple? One who follows the example and teachings of another, and spreads their doctrine. Since Jesus apparently wasn't much in to possesions, and said his nobody else could be one without giving up their stuff, seems like....well, you gotta give up your stuff if you wanna follow him.

Sorry to say, but your sophistry about how you can have all your stuff and be an obedient follower doesn't wash. Somehow though, it always seems easier to conform The Word of God to our own little version of how we want to live life, than to conform our life to The Word of God.

That is, if you actually give credence to the philosophy that it is the absolute, unadulterated, infallable Word of God. If not, you can sit back and take potshots at the hypocrits.....
    Everybody's got a plan until they get hit. Mike Tyson

"SlÓinte mh˛r agad!"

Excuse me, does this rag smell like chloroform?

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post

Sorry to say, but your sophistry about how you can have all your stuff and be an obedient follower doesn't wash.
    First I take some offense at you saying what I wrote was sophistry. Second, I am not saying you can have all of your stuff and being an obedient follower. I am saying you don't have to give away everything you own to be an obedient follower, only things you put before God and in this story from Mark the young man put his riches before God. You have to get rid of everything that you put before God to be an obedient follower, something I personally struggle with.

Quote Originally Posted by sweryap View Post
    First I take some offense at you saying what I wrote was sophistry. Second, I am not saying you can have all of your stuff and being an obedient follower. I am saying you don't have to give away everything you own to be an obedient follower, only things you put before God and in this story from Mark the young man put his riches before God. You have to get rid of everything that you put before God to be an obedient follower, something I personally struggle with.
    My apology for offending you sweryap. As far as your arguement goes it has been made by many a True Believer before you and I chose to disagree with all of them...but I like the salty attitude you bring to the forum, ok?

Having said that, I wasn't referring to the parable of the rich young ruler that you used to support your supposition, although I believe it supports my contention that is propounded in Luke 14:33 (that a true disciple must forsake all his posessions).

What you seem to be proposing here in your response (and please correct me if I am misinterpreting), is that you only have to give up what 'you put before God'.....or idolatry if you prefer.

My contention is that Jesus was extrememly clear in his 'recorded' comment in Luke that a disciple had to forsake ALL his stuff. Not my words but His if you want to stick to the Word. Having said that, I've gotta tell you that I firmly believe that 99.99% of all the people who call themselves disciples are under a delusion, and the other .01% are bitter, poor, and eating out of dumpsters while they try to be obedient.

Again, its a matter of taking what the Book says literally and applying it, or using a preformulated arguement to justify disobedience to the clear sayings of Jesus. No offense intended, but you either believe it and obey it, or you try and reason around it while pretending obedience.....

"SlÓinte mh˛r agad!"

Twisted your interpretation is why Catholics have Priest and Nuns....

Priest and Nuns take a vow to give up all thier "stuff" and in return the Church will provided for them......

Now having said that again we must notice that interpretation is why the religion of Christianity has so many sects......each group or sect wish to "rule" bu authority of God by thier interpretation.......

You'll see a lot of churchs go in under the guise of non-denominational....but in relaity that just a a "cover" as not to have to pay the "membership fees" to the named sect....Baptist, Church of Christ, and so forth....but some one in that non-denominational sect is indeed interpreting the bible and "ruling" the group with those interpretations.....

That is why the bible is what it is....open to each and everyone's interpretation......so long as the interpretation IMO does not cause one to go murder, rape or pillage then all the different interpretation are fine.....but and here's the rub.....some folks can't seem to do that......they want to rule adn do so by using God as thier weapon......

I agree with you Buckster, which is one of the primary reasons I quit going to church 15 yrs ago, and haven't looked back. The way the religion operates is so in contradiction to the Book they claim to believe and obey....as you said, its all about 'interpretation'.

And I, like everyone else, can have my own interpretation...

I just always found it a bit disturbing that most 'believer's' interpretation of The Word, was usually the most cost effective interpretation in terms of what following Christ was actually going to cost them personally.

Which seems a bit odd, since the claim is to be following one who suffered tremendously, was tortured, crucified, and spent 3 days in agony in hell. For them...just recapping doctrine here, not propounding or defending it.

So if Jesus paid such a high price for your salvation, why are his followers looking for the easy way around his clear words, regarding the price of following him? How many times do you hear, "Oh, He didn't mean that literally, what he meant was....". Interpretation. As I said in my earlier post, it gives much leeway to adjust and conform the Word(s) of Jesus to the life you have chosen to live and are already living, rather than conforming your life to His words (again, if you believe they really are His words. If you don't, than whats the point in following Him, the Bible, Christian doctrine in general?).

Not trying to make a stink, just addressing what I consider a flagrant act of self interest motivated sophistry. Either do what He/the Books says, or be quiet and leave the rest of us alone with your proselytizing....I have called my spade a spade, and quit with all the religious doctrines and dogmas, because I couldn't keep pretending to be something I clearly wasn't. And nobody else who was claiming to be a follower was following either. Some people are perhaps better at reasoning and justification than I and can keep comfortably pretending to be obedient, while they clearly aren't, but my conscience compelled me to walk away from it...If I'm going to be a member of a social club, I want to hang out with folks who mean what they say.

Did I really just publically bare my soul again...

"SlÓinte mh˛r agad!"

Twisted.....I hear ya loud and clear....

The Bible is the Literal word of God till it's something "you" don't want to do or want to do then it's changed to "well here's my interpretation"

Just like you that is why I have issue with "the churches"

take the gay issue...."it's an abomination" which means sin agianst God Biblically speaking....yet oddly enough.....divorce and remarriage.....is as Jesus said a sin as well....yet becasue it has become common place it's "okay" within the church and no one looks "down" on divorce....or sex before marriage Jesus agian clearly defines that's a no-no he even says to look at a women with lust in the mind is a sin.....but no one is out picketing and beat and berating couples who live together.....Why in fact we have a several posters on here who live with others but I have not seen one "religious" person tell them they are worng for doing that....but have had posters say they disowned family members because of being gay.....

IMO the only true thing one can do is say.....(in regards to God/religion) is do as my (christian sister does) say sin is between you and God ...take it up with God......

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKSTER View Post
    Twisted your interpretation is why Catholics have Priest and Nuns....

Priest and Nuns take a vow to give up all thier "stuff" and in return the Church will provided for them......

Now having said that again we must notice that interpretation is why the religion of Christianity has so many sects......each group or sect wish to "rule" bu authority of God by thier interpretation.......

You'll see a lot of churchs go in under the guise of non-denominational....but in relaity that just a a "cover" as not to have to pay the "membership fees" to the named sect....Baptist, Church of Christ, and so forth....but some one in that non-denominational sect is indeed interpreting the bible and "ruling" the group with those interpretations.....

That is why the bible is what it is....open to each and everyone's interpretation......so long as the interpretation IMO does not cause one to go murder, rape or pillage then all the different interpretation are fine.....but and here's the rub.....some folks can't seem to do that......they want to rule adn do so by using God as thier weapon......
    A lot of these "non-denominations" are Baptist that are in membership with the Baptists. It's their members that claim non-denominational. "I go to a Baptist church but I don't have a denomination or a religion, I have a relationship with Jesus."

It took quite a while of digging around but that is what I have discovered about these Christians who claim denominations are bad and that they don't have a religion.

I think it's more that they know "Baptist" carries along thoughts of racism and other negatives. I'm not even sure if there is a group you have to pay fees to to claim Baptist (I was too young when my parents were starting a church), but I do know the SBC doesn't issue rules (or at least that was their claim when the Baptist preacher made a prayer request for the death of a group who requested the church finances be investigated after they donated a large amount to a political campaign).

MYK.....I'm thinking and I may be wrong but I bet ya if ya use the name Baptist or Methodist you end up having to "send" money to a larger organization of Baptist.....or Methodist

any how my point is that many will say {I'm non-denominational} cause maybe they like to partake in the alcohol and as a Baptist your not to do that....so they spring up these non-denominational churches and start going with thier version of the bible....at least in my area that is how it works....well truth be told the churches start like this.....one group gets mad at the other group for whatever reason...and so the one group says hey I don't have to listen to you I'll go start my own little church and do it my way.....oh wait that's not just my area but I can even find "proof" that this happened during Paul's time...why he even wrote letters to the "churchs" about this.....intresting....Buckste r ponders out loud oh just ponder some more.....same with the guys called Luther and Calvin.....

My contention is that Jesus was extrememly clear in his 'recorded' comment in Luke that a disciple had to forsake ALL his stuff.

You've got a pretty interesting view of Jesus statements in Luke 14 Twisted. Do you take such a wooden interpretation of the entire passage or just the one that allows you to "take pot shots" at followers? For instance, do you believe that He'd have you truly "hate your father and mother"? Do you suppose He thinks you might try to "build a tower"? Do you think He thinks you may be a "king about to go to war against another king" with 10,000 men at your command? After all, all of the above are words that Jesus uses in the immediate context of the phrase you highlighted. Surely you can see that He's illustrating a point with figurative language? Would you truly read all literature the way you've read the Bible here in Luke?
    I rarely get in trouble for things I don't say.

I think it has to be more refined than simply "Baptist". You have to join a group like ABA or SBC.
    The list of Baptist sub-denominations on Wiki is as long as your arm, which one would sue for simply claiming you were Baptist?

My point was that a lot of those passing themselves off as non-denominational are Baptists. Some sub-denominations of Baptists official stance is that they are non-denominational.

Generally what happens when what you say goes on is the new group still holds onto their old denomination and become a sub-denomination. The Free Methodists split because they thought they were more Methodist than the Methodist Episcopals.

Sometimes it is because they don't want to follow a strict interpretation. Other times it's because they want a more strict interpretation.

The difference between Jesus' time and now is that here in America there aren't as many of what one might call the deserving poor. This isn't the Depression or the Black Plague--if you've got half a brain and the will to work you can get what you want out of life. If you've got a problem there's church, AA, and just about any kind of fix-it group that's ever been devised to help you get through it if you want to. I have no problem whatsoever helping someone help themselves, but just forking over cash blindly to buy people out of poverty isn't anything I've ever seen work nor something my conscience ever tells me to do no matter what teary eyed lady on TV or clown in the pulpit says.

As to sell everything and give it to the poor.

I've done this exactly twice in my life.

The first time I gave away everything but my books and motorcycle. In an attempt to reconcile with what would become my ex-wife. Quit my job. Moved. Tried for 5 years.

Reacquired stuff.

The second time I decided to lighten the load well on my way to becoming divorced with no hope of reconcilation gave away everything got divorced. One of the people I met when giving away (not selling) all my canned foods later became my new spousal accessory unit.

Lots of detail missing and mucho pain and suffering. Take it for what you will but in one case lightening led to enlightenment. In the other case lightening led to enrichment. Now I try and stay light and when I start gathering stuff I look around to lighten the load a bit. I know pretty darn silly.

If I did that, wouldn't that make me one of the poor?
    Estimating Projections

If Chewbacca lives on Endor....you MUST acquit.

Quote Originally Posted by KSNimrod View Post
    You've got a pretty interesting view of Jesus statements in Luke 14 Twisted. Do you take such a wooden interpretation of the entire passage or just the one that allows you to "take pot shots" at followers? For instance, do you believe that He'd have you truly "hate your father and mother"? Do you suppose He thinks you might try to "build a tower"? Do you think He thinks you may be a "king about to go to war against another king" with 10,000 men at your command? After all, all of the above are words that Jesus uses in the immediate context of the phrase you highlighted. Surely you can see that He's illustrating a point with figurative language? Would you truly read all literature the way you've read the Bible here in Luke?
    Hmm, I've never been called wooden before. Cool, another adjective to add!

To reply, I'd say that there is a difference between parables he told (as far as the kings going to battle), because he was trying to make 'block headed' wooden people maybe like myself understand....and the clear cut 'you must' type commands he gave. Such as I quoted. You can call them taking potshots if you like, I'd have to agree with you. But they are only potshots that I took long and hard at myself first. I challenged my faith, everything I said I believed, in the light of my own ability to obey the words in red, and I decided that I couldn't do it. And when I wanted to find people to help me be obedient, I met up with a huge wall of my Christian brothers telling me I didn't actually have to obey the words.

Maybe they felt threatened that if I obeyed them, then they might have to give up something too? Anyway, for the record, I did my utmost for nine years to obey the various commands, basically it left my family impoverished and disallusioned, because the Christian community doesn't really want to operate on the basis of sharing all things in common, and care for each other. I bled myself and my family white, to give and give and give...and now I don't anymore. And life is again beautiful for me.

So yes I potshot. But only when I hear/read the typical self preservation noise of those who want to make a claim to godliness and obedience without really paying the very high price that Jesus demanded...oh yes, salvation is free! but once you are saved, I believe it says you are called to good works. Yup, not works salvation, but works in appreciation for salvation. And to learn obedience through the things you suffer, just like Jesus did according to Hebrews. Anyway, I need a shower and supper, so carry on....cheers.

"SlÓinte mh˛r agad!"

Quote Originally Posted by Selil View Post
    As to sell everything and give it to the poor.

I've done this exactly twice in my life.

The first time I gave away everything but my books and motorcycle. In an attempt to reconcile with what would become my ex-wife. Quit my job. Moved. Tried for 5 years.

Reacquired stuff.

The second time I decided to lighten the load well on my way to becoming divorced with no hope of reconcilation gave away everything got divorced. One of the people I met when giving away (not selling) all my canned foods later became my new spousal accessory unit.

Lots of detail missing and mucho pain and suffering. Take it for what you will but in one case lightening led to enlightenment. In the other case lightening led to enrichment. Now I try and stay light and when I start gathering stuff I look around to lighten the load a bit. I know pretty darn silly.
    Actually, sounds kinda smart to me Selil. Sounds like you found a happy place...good for you.

"SlÓinte mh˛r agad!"

Hmm, I've never been called wooden before. Cool, another adjective to add!

To reply, I'd say that there is a difference between parables he told (as far as the kings going to battle), because he was trying to make 'block headed' wooden people maybe like myself understand....and the clear cut 'you must' type commands he gave. Such as I quoted. You can call them taking potshots if you like, I'd have to agree with you. But they are only potshots that I took long and hard at myself first. I challenged my faith, everything I said I believed, in the light of my own ability to obey the words in red, and I decided that I couldn't do it. And when I wanted to find people to help me be obedient, I met up with a huge wall of my Christian brothers telling me I didn't actually have to obey the words.

Maybe they felt threatened that if I obeyed them, then they might have to give up something too? Anyway, for the record, I did my utmost for nine years to obey the various commands, basically it left my family impoverished and disallusioned, because the Christian community doesn't really want to operate on the basis of sharing all things in common, and care for each other. I bled myself and my family white, to give and give and give...and now I don't anymore. And life is again beautiful for me.

So yes I potshot. But only when I hear/read the typical self preservation noise of those who want to make a claim to godliness and obedience without really paying the very high price that Jesus demanded...oh yes, salvation is free! but once you are saved, I believe it says you are called to good works. Yup, not works salvation, but works in appreciation for salvation. And to learn obedience through the things you suffer, just like Jesus did according to Hebrews. Anyway, I need a shower and supper, so carry on....cheers.
    Twisted,

After re-reading my post this morning I believe I came off as kind of a jerk. My apologies. It just seems to me like you've got a great heart, and one worth a battle for. Those around you who told you you didn't have to obey Jesus had no right to do so. Jesus was quite clear when He said, "If you love me then you'll obey me." (my paraphrase) You've obviously got a clearer grasp of that than the "believers" around you did. The question then becomes, what does Jesus really want us to do. That's why I was trying to make the case in the scriptures you mentioned that He wasn't directing us to sell all and give it away to the poor. He was asking us to give up our right to control it. Just my opinion from the context and the rest of scripture so I realize it's not authoritative in any way, I just didn't want to see the response that those around you gave originally be the last response you heard from someone trying to follow Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by KSNimrod View Post
    Twisted,

After re-reading my post this morning I believe I came off as kind of a jerk. My apologies. It just seems to me like you've got a great heart, and one worth a battle for. Those around you who told you you didn't have to obey Jesus had no right to do so. Jesus was quite clear when He said, "If you love me then you'll obey me." (my paraphrase) You've obviously got a clearer grasp of that than the "believers" around you did. The question then becomes, what does Jesus really want us to do. That's why I was trying to make the case in the scriptures you mentioned that He wasn't directing us to sell all and give it away to the poor. He was asking us to give up our right to control it. Just my opinion from the context and the rest of scripture so I realize it's not authoritative in any way, I just didn't want to see the response that those around you gave originally be the last response you heard from someone trying to follow Jesus.
    Apology accepted though not necessary. This is a public forum, and we all give and take a little within the bounds of good taste.

Don't be worrying about my salvation though, my perspective is that faith can exist quite freely apart from affiliation with some denomination or religion to hold ones spritual hand. Matter of the heart, which again is why I have permanently departed the church system.

Now going back to the original question, let me pose this to you: If Jesus gave parables and clear directions regarding disciples dispossesing themselves, and if the so-called First church formed after Pentecost in Jerusalem sold all their stuff, and shared all things in common as recorded in the early chapters of Acts, than isn't it likely that they were setting the 'template' of how believers should be behaving? And if such is the case, why the strong denial of this practice now? It is a concept that is abhorent to Christians.

"SlÓinte mh˛r agad!"

Thanks for your grace Twisted. I've got no worries about your salvation, just wanted to make sure you weren't given bad info.

I myself have long been curious about the "communal" arrangement that's mentioned in Acts. It would seem to me that we don't see that much these days for a few reasons, none of which I hope is direct disobedience to Jesus.
    First, it seems to be primarily an act of love between the believers rather than a response to a direct command. Historically it can be demonstrated that many (not all) who chose to publicize their faith in the early church were basically booted out of any support system they may have had. Second, the practice may have taken a hit when the believers were scattered out of Jerusalem. We try to overcome this in a small way in our local congregations, but obviously have great failings in regards to unity among the whold body of belivers. Some Amish and Mennonite communities still come close to practicing this kind of communal living, but even most of those will still have individual households, incomes, etc., but the understanding is that each will give to another as they have need.

I think it's a balance between absolute generousity and working so that your needs are minimal so as not be a drain on others. Of course I am allowed this by my thinking that the actions of the early church in regards to communal living were not a response to God's command but rather His love. If I truly believed that He commanded it, well then... I'd hope His grace was even more amazing than the song says!

Fair enough KSN, and I agree that a balanced approach to interpreting scripture should be taken. Having said that, there have been many points made on this forum, through different threads, addressing the highly biased slant of interpretations:

Homosexuality is an abomination, but divorce and second marriage is completely accepted throughout mainline christianity.

Love your enemy, but bomb the crap out of unbelieving Muslim terrorists, or anyone who may grow up to be a terrorist, or give birth to a terrorist....

Blessed are the peacemakers, but God favors the army with greater firepower...

Eating swine and shellfish is an abomination, but Jesus died on the cross to make them clean for consumption...

Sell everything and give it to the poor, or better yet, Jesus is gonna make you rich so you can give 10% to the church so they can build a bigger one...

and so on.

Now, I don't say this to poke a finger in your eye, but the disparity between the teachings and the actions of modern day Christians seems to be vast. If one were to look at it in a fair light, you may even say that the practice of Christianity reflects the Judaic system that Jesus came and condemned..so they killed him for making waves.

Or to put it in yet a different light, a parable of my own: An alien race becomes aware of the human race, and studies our cultures to determine the best way to make a peaceful contact. After studying the teachings of Christ as recorded in the Bible, they determine that His teaching is in line with their own pascifist, benign intent, compassionate convictions, and so determine to approach His followers to make contact.

Unfortunately, when they study the people of earth, they mistakenly approach Budhist monks in Nepal assuming they must be Jesus' followers as they seem to be the only ones not currently engaged in making warfare on their fellow man.....

How say thee?

"SlÓinte mh˛r agad!"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast