Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Martin Cat Cam-Optimum Settings-Advice-Questions

First off, congrats Gary on your win this past weekend, awesome shooting

I'm still waiting for a set of long mods for my Slayer, but I did spend a few hours this past weekend playing with the bow with the current mods. I adjusted the cam through a variety of draw stop positions (always making sure to bring the dl back to a reference of 30") to see what effect letoff had on speed. There is quite a variation available, and the results prove out that lower letoff will produce more speed. I also played a bit with cam positioning and speed nock amount and placement. Again, there is the ability to change speed incrememtally. And finally, I did notice that the bow performs better at higher poundage. Meaning that lower weight produced results not indicative of just an drop due to the reduced weight. The bow is not only faster at higher weights, but more effecient.

I'm still playing with some variables, so I won't post actual numbers until I'm finished. Hopefully by this weekend

Grey Eagle

Thanks and good job on the statements.

It seems you are working down a great path. By all means please post your results and optimum settings. This will be great for all the long draw guys and I hope to pick up something myself.

Good Luck and keep going. You have my attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Eagle View Post
    And finally, I did notice that the bow performs better at higher poundage. Meaning that lower weight produced results not indicative of just an drop due to the reduced weight. The bow is not only faster at higher weights, but more effecient.
    GE,
    Is this styatement based off of different limb deflection rates, or off of the same limbs backed out?

To be more clear, were the reduced weights achived by backing out the limb bolts or by changing to a lower limb deflection?

It seems to me that as long as the limbs are loaded up similarly and the arrow weight is realtive to the draw weight that speed and efficiency should be the same.

I haven't played any more with my Firecat as I am trying to get my field bow set up at the moment (I am converting my Rytera Triad to nitrous A cams).

However, I will be printing this thread off and comparing my Firecat to the cam pictures here to see what I find.

Ryan
    Targets are calling my name again! Back to pins (for now)!

Quote Originally Posted by gjstudt View Post
    Thanks and good job on the statements.

It seems you are working down a great path. By all means please post your results and optimum settings. This will be great for all the long draw guys and I hope to pick up something myself.

Good Luck and keep going. You have my attention.
    Thanks Gary. I unfortunately didn't have time to complete all the testing I wanted to do, but my curiousity it peaked enough to carry this through on another date.

Quote Originally Posted by TCR1 View Post
    GE,
    Is this styatement based off of different limb deflection rates, or off of the same limbs backed out?

To be more clear, were the reduced weights achived by backing out the limb bolts or by changing to a lower limb deflection?

It seems to me that as long as the limbs are loaded up similarly and the arrow weight is realtive to the draw weight that speed and efficiency should be the same.

I haven't played any more with my Firecat as I am trying to get my field bow set up at the moment (I am converting my Rytera Triad to nitrous A cams).

However, I will be printing this thread off and comparing my Firecat to the cam pictures here to see what I find.

Ryan
    Ryan,

Same set of limbs, with weight reduction being achieved by backing off from fully seated position.

My comments are based solely on my prior experience with a number of different cams systems. What I was seeing on the weekend is not indicative of a simple reduction in speed due to weight reduction. But, as I said, I've got some more playing to do

Cheers

GE are you saying that the Cat's are faster towards 65% or closer to 80 % let off? I shoot my Ultratec at 65% and am more comfortable with that.
    Dream Season UF/Rytera Alien X/ Hoyt Ultratec VersaCam/CommandCam+
    Jeep
    Gary Fisher
    Buck Knives
    "Burn the village to the ground. Doo da, Doo da".

Less let off faster?

Quote Originally Posted by IDABOW View Post
    GE are you saying that the Cat's are faster towards 65% or closer to 80 % let off? I shoot my Ultratec at 65% and am more comfortable with that.
    Group,

On the Cat cam and most all other cams less let off will be just a little faster at the exact same draw length.

Thanks

Yes,

The lower the letoff, the faster the cam. And as Gary stated, this is not just applicable to the CAT cam, it is a general statement.

As I said earlier, I haven't finished playing, but as an example, there was a 3fps gain from 84% letoff to 79% letoff at 30"

Great! I like the feel much better at 65%. Thanks!
    Jeep
    Gary Fisher
    Buck Knives

Gary, or anybody that can answer........

After playing for a few hours with a Firecat, I have a couple of questions.

Twisting cables to load the cams not only adds poundage to the bow, but it adds up draw length pretty fast as well.

Changing a module setting to get where you need with DL is easy enough, but the only way to get the poundage back is to unwind the limb bolts farther. This is not an option that I personally like.

You could twist up the mainstring, but that just puts the cables back to the general area where they started, plus you are making A to A shorter, and brace height bigger.

My first question is.........when ordering my next Firecat, I am thinking that ordering limbs to max out 5 pounds less than I really want is a good guess?

Any thoughts on that one?

Second question........what does everyone think of the factory strings?

So far, they seem pretty good to me.......and this will be the first time in the last 50 bows that I might actually use the factory strings.
    1960 Bear Grizzly 48@28"/Spigarelli BB 25" w/ SF Ultimate Pro medium limbs 40# @ 28"/2013 Wes Wallace Mentor 46@ 28"/Dave Miller "Old Mahoning" hybrid longbow 46@ 28"/DAS Dalaa 21" w/SF Premium Carbon 46# @ 28"

ttt
    1960 Bear Grizzly 48@28"/Spigarelli BB 25" w/ SF Ultimate Pro medium limbs 40# @ 28"/2013 Wes Wallace Mentor 46@ 28"/Dave Miller "Old Mahoning" hybrid longbow 46@ 28"/DAS Dalaa 21" w/SF Premium Carbon 46# @ 28"

Mitch.....I played with my firecat some Saturday, using some of Nuts&Bolts advice. He mentioned lining the small round holes in the cams up to be even with the limbs at rest. I twisted the string like he said, and played around with a few other things, and it did make the already smooth draw even smoother. My bow is a 70 pound unfortunately, so I will be turning it into a hunting only bow. I am shooting a 337 gr arrow n ow at 28.5 and 60 lbs to stay under the ASA radar. I don't like having to back the limbs down 10 pounds, but don't want to have to fill my arrow shafts with melted lead either....lol
    BTW, I usually prefer a higher letoff, but with the Firecat, I adjusted dl and the draw stop to a little lower letoff and pull firm into the drawstop...makes for a nice, crisp release and I don't have to worry about creep while at full draw.

Quote Originally Posted by fasst View Post
    Mitch.....I played with my firecat some Saturday, using some of Nuts&Bolts advice. He mentioned lining the small round holes in the cams up to be even with the limbs at rest. I twisted the string like he said, and played around with a few other things, and it did make the already smooth draw even smoother. My bow is a 70 pound unfortunately, so I will be turning it into a hunting only bow. I am shooting a 337 gr arrow n ow at 28.5 and 60 lbs to stay under the ASA radar. I don't like having to back the limbs down 10 pounds, but don't want to have to fill my arrow shafts with melted lead either....lol
    BTW, I usually prefer a higher letoff, but with the Firecat, I adjusted dl and the draw stop to a little lower letoff and pull firm into the drawstop...makes for a nice, crisp release and I don't have to worry about creep while at full draw.
    I just got my slayer this weekend and with a 29" draw and 343 grain arrows I had to turn it down to about 50 lbs to keep it at 280 for ASA. At 60 I was 307 with the same arrow. With my 303 grain arrows I was 320 fps at 60 lbs.
    Scott and Son Archery
    Home of BRIGHTFIBER fiber optic products.
    New Athens Archery,Martin Pro Series, Elite Archery and Copper John/Stan Dealer!
    Martin Silver Star Shooter, Gold Tip Advisory Staff Shooter

Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post
    Gary, or anybody that can answer........

After playing for a few hours with a Firecat, I have a couple of questions.

Twisting cables to load the cams not only adds poundage to the bow, but it adds up draw length pretty fast as well.

Changing a module setting to get where you need with DL is easy enough, but the only way to get the poundage back is to unwind the limb bolts farther. This is not an option that I personally like.

You could twist up the mainstring, but that just puts the cables back to the general area where they started, plus you are making A to A shorter, and brace height bigger.

My first question is.........when ordering my next Firecat, I am thinking that ordering limbs to max out 5 pounds less than I really want is a good guess?

Any thoughts on that one?

Second question........what does everyone think of the factory strings?

So far, they seem pretty good to me.......and this will be the first time in the last 50 bows that I might actually use the factory strings.

Big Country,
    1st note you are correct in your statements. However please do not be afraid to back out the limb bolts. My bow will max at 72 pounds and I'm shooting it at 63 pounds.

1st question. You can order 5 lb less if you would like. Not a big deal.

2nd question. I always shoot Winners Choice however the 2008 strings are better than they have ever been from the factory. I would have no problems shooting them.

Hope this helps.

1 Question

What is the recommended Draw Stop usage with the Cat Cams? Can I set it at a 29" Draw Length and Set the Draw Stop at 28"? Will this give me better speed? How much Let off will I sacrifice with this?

Quote Originally Posted by SliderzFire View Post
    What is the recommended Draw Stop usage with the Cat Cams? Can I set it at a 29" Draw Length and Set the Draw Stop at 28"? Will this give me better speed? How much Let off will I sacrifice with this?
    Yes! You can.

I have mine set up that way. I'm shooting the bow off the draw stop not off the back side of the modules. I recommend this method. You simple adjust the draw stop at your draw length. Then you can mess with the module at different locations to get your preferred let off. After you have the draw length set with the stop don't move it any more. Only move the module. The less let off you have the more speed you have by just a few FPS.

Beautiful, I will set it up this way tonight and Give it a try. I'm so glad this thread is out here....time to play a little and see what my best settings are!

thanks Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by SliderzFire View Post
    Be sure to post back your results. Also maybe you haven't looked at the 1st couple post on this thread but if you do you will see that my bow is set up off the draw stop and the cables are not touching the modules.

I'll post them Up Thursday night when I get out to where I am able to Chrono...I know last night I got 278 fps with about a 28" drawstop; 28" Draw Length shooting a 365 grain arrow at 59#. I'll let you know what I come up with Late Thursday night. thanks again....

I just got mine in on Monday...so Monday night, after refereeing, I set it up...out of the box, no other adjustments.

Went to the range last night...WOW, Sweeeeet shooting bow, no handshock, nice smooth draw (once I got used to it) and quiet...initial numbers are...29 inch draw, 60 lbs, 300 grain arrow, shooting 310 fps.

Now, I want to work on setting up the cams properly for best speed/accuracy
    '10 Rytera Alien Z 29.5" 50-65lbs Black Riser, Camo limbs sweeeeet looking bow
    '12 Martin Onza III 29.5" 63 lbs, Skulz Riser Black limbs

slayer

well after reading everyones post i started playing with all the info posted here iam really happy with the results 59# 28"draw 394gr arrow 275fps and shoots great thanks for all the info
    archeryforacure.com

70# MARTIN SLAYER X
    70# PSE X FORCE
    60# RYTERA TRAID

a few more adjustments

I set the draw length at 29" from 28". Kept the draw stop at 28". 60# draw weight....

same arrows (365 gr) at 292 FPS.... I tried the chrono with 304 grain arrows...results 308 FPS.... I'm more than happy with the results....

I have my Firecat getting 291fps with 370 grns, or 282 with 390 grns. @ 70 lbs, and 66% let off 27" draw. String is loaded with loop, peep, and string shox. Cables have two leeches each. (I like QUIET)

Does that sound like pretty good speed?
    Jeep
    Gary Fisher
    Buck Knives

I have my Firecat getting 291fps with 370 grns, or 282 with 390 grns. @ 70 lbs, and 66% let off 27" draw. String is loaded with loop, peep, and string shox. Cables have two leeches each. (I like QUIET)

Does that sound like pretty good speed?
    With all the items on the string and cables you pretty close. You may be able to get a few feet more (3-6)by wrapping the wheels up nice and tight like the pictures at the beginning of this thread.

Do I twist up the cables or the string or???
    Jeep
    Gary Fisher
    Buck Knives

Do I twist up the cables or the string or???
    to get more wrap you twist cables. The Pounds will increase and draw may need modified when finished depending out how much you go.

Please review the notes and pics at the beginning of the thread for me details.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast