Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Martin Cat Cam-Optimum Settings-Advice-Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Johnson View Post
    Gary,

Just so I'm clear here...
    Regarding the modules, are you saying it can be beneficial to set the mod at say a 30" and shoot a true 29 with just the draw stop adjustment?
    It will be faster and you can tailor your valley, DL and let-off (if you are seeking sub-80%) easier this way.
    The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes....the average response time of a 357 Magnum is 1,400 feet per second.

Boars--->Longbeards--->Bears--->Boars--->Ram--->Antelope--->Whitetail--->Pheasant--->Boars--->Repeat

BROADHEAD TUNING<-----Click

Gary,

Just so I'm clear here...
    Regarding the modules, are you saying it can be beneficial to set the mod at say a 30" and shoot a true 29 with just the draw stop adjustment?
    Yes! You would simply have more holding weight while aiming.

Great to hear and thanks for the quick responses gents.

I prefer 65% anyway but have had a hard time getting any valley into it at that point. This may be the trick and sounds like I may pick up a little speed as well.

I'm quickly falling in love with the cam system and I wasn't sure I would as I loved the Nitrous.

Great thread BTW...this is what AT is all about :

On another note...while I agree the strings are a big step up from previous years they still seem like a heavy strand count.
    Anyone put a lighter custom string on one yet? Results if so?
    Last edited by Kelly Johnson; April 24th, 2008 at 12:10 PM.
    Everybody knows, that the world if full of stupid people.
    But I got the pistols so I'll keep the pesos, yeah that seems fair.

Great to hear and thanks for the quick responses gents.

I prefer 65% anyway but have had a hard time getting any valley into it at that point. This may be the trick and sounds like I may pick up a little speed as well.

I'm quickly falling in love with the cam system and I wasn't sure I would as I loved the Nitrous.

Great thread BTW...this is what AT is all about :

On another note...while I agree the strings are a big step up from previous years they still seem like a heavy strand count.
    Anyone put a lighter custom string on one yet? Results if so?
    I have one (WC 8125), but have not tried it yet. I am getting 327 with the factory strings at 60# 28.5" and about 20 grains over minimum...no complaints.

If you want more valley, then you are going to need to take a couple twists out of the top cable.
    The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes....the average response time of a 357 Magnum is 1,400 feet per second.

Boars--->Longbeards--->Bears--->Boars--->Ram--->Antelope--->Whitetail--->Pheasant--->Boars--->Repeat

BROADHEAD TUNING<-----Click

I changed strings on my Firecat, measured after, with 3 speednocks on top, 2 on bottom.
    Bow is 59.2 lb (not maxed out ~ half turn), 28.5 DL, 303 grn arrow.
    I could not believe my eyes.
    365 grn arrow is at 308-311 fps.

Quote Originally Posted by igorts View Post
    I changed strings on my Firecat, measured after, with 3 speednocks on top, 2 on bottom.
    Bow is 59.2 lb (not maxed out ~ half turn), 28.5 DL, 303 grn arrow.
    I could not believe my eyes.
    365 grn arrow is at 308-311 fps.
    Well Done, igorts.

You learn very quickly!

www.nutsandboltsarchery.com
    http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...=who+wants+dvd
    Send me an email for DVD = $25.00....

alanlui@comcast.net

I'm lucky to have great teacher!
    Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by nuts&bolts View Post
    Well Done, igorts.

You learn very quickly!

Peak weight of my Slayer is 60 lbs.

Is it just me or does everyone else's CAT equipped bows increase 3-5lbs. of peak draw weight doing nothing more than switching in the long draw modules? This stumped me for over a half an hour tonight. I thought I totally screwed things up after twisting cables and the string trying to set the cam rotations. I finally put the regular mods back on, at the longest setting, ripped both cables and the string off, and checked their lengths vs. factory specs. Put it all back together set the gap between the cable peg and cable to 7/64" on the top and just under that on the bottom using an Allen key as a gauge. Checked peak weight and it was a hair over 61lbs with the limb bolts bottomed out. Backed the limb bolts out half a turn then she was bang on 60lbs. Re-installed long draw modules and there she was back at 65lbs. Took another 1.5 turns out of the limb bolts and now it's just a shade over 59lbs and the gap at the pegs and cables is not roughly 1/8" using an Allen key as a gauge.

It's hard to tell from everyone's pics what they have their gaps at. Can a few of you take some Allen keys and gauge the space and report back please. If it needs to be tighter than the 7/64" I can set it too now, I guess I'll have to add some more twists to the cables to get there. Then I'll be backing the limb bolt out some more.

Am I on the right track or not? I'll take some pics tomorrow night and post them up so everyone can see where I'm at.

Also...... Other than Igorts, how many speed nocks is everyone using and how far from the cams are they located?
    Matt Tebbutt

B-Stinger Stabilization
    Hinky Strings

Quote Originally Posted by Moparmatty View Post
    Peak weight of my Slayer is 60 lbs.

Is it just me or does everyone else's CAT equipped bows increase 3-5lbs. of peak draw weight doing nothing more than switching in the long draw modules? This stumped me for over a half an hour tonight. I thought I totally screwed things up after twisting cables and the string trying to set the cam rotations. I finally put the regular mods back on, at the longest setting, ripped both cables and the string off, and checked their lengths vs. factory specs. Put it all back together set the gap between the cable peg and cable to 7/64" on the top and just under that on the bottom using an Allen key as a gauge. Checked peak weight and it was a hair over 61lbs with the limb bolts bottomed out. Backed the limb bolts out half a turn then she was bang on 60lbs. Re-installed long draw modules and there she was back at 65lbs. Took another 1.5 turns out of the limb bolts and now it's just a shade over 59lbs and the gap at the pegs and cables is not roughly 1/8" using an Allen key as a gauge.

It's hard to tell from everyone's pics what they have their gaps at. Can a few of you take some Allen keys and gauge the space and report back please. If it needs to be tighter than the 7/64" I can set it too now, I guess I'll have to add some more twists to the cables to get there. Then I'll be backing the limb bolt out some more.

Am I on the right track or not? I'll take some pics tomorrow night and post them up so everyone can see where I'm at.

Also...... Other than Igorts, how many speed nocks is everyone using and how far from the cams are they located?
    Matt,

It's a fairly common occurance for that to happen......... the weight gain with the use of the longer mods. Both my CAT bows did it. Not much different than there being a weight differential on bows with adjustable modules, the longer settings will produce more weight than the shorter settings. At least that has been my experience.

Cheers

Tuning Firecat

70lb bow maxed out. After twisting cables and poundaged has increased. Can you shoot at that poundage or do you have to back it down?

How many twists to wrap cables?

You have to back the weight down to where the draw is no more than 70 lbs. I think the number of twists in the cables is relative to where you start at, your trying to get a small gap between the post and the cable, so just keep twisting until you get there.
    Elite Z28 Ninja, LD rest, Armortech Accel HD, B-stinger stab.
    Mathews Switchback, Tourqueless Grip, Spot Hogg Real Deal, LD rest, Bucknasty strings, B-stinger stab, Gold Tip sticks.
    Fred Bear Grizzly recurve
    Team #48 Whitetail Warriors

Firecat tuning and adjustment

Thanks for the info arrowaddict. One more question. About how fps will you gain if you change draw lenth 1 hole on mod, but leave draw stop the same?

Anyone play with speednocks yet? I just new strings on. I put two on the top and bottom, 3" from each axle. I picked up 5 fps. Haven't had a chance to play with them yet. Ideas?
    Dream Season UF/Rytera Alien X/ Hoyt Ultratec VersaCam/CommandCam+
    Jeep
    Gary Fisher
    Buck Knives
    "Burn the village to the ground. Doo da, Doo da".

I ended up with three nocks on the top and 4 nocks on the bottom. I'm still about 8 fps slower than the stock strings. I have 452X for string and cables, but, I've never seen a loss of more than 2-3 fps. I have the cables wrapped up tight.

Just a peep and loop on the string, other than the nocks. 284 fps, @ 70 lbs, 270 grn arrow, # 3 slot, 27" ish draw. I had 292 fps with everything the same.

Any ideas?
    Jeep
    Gary Fisher
    Buck Knives

270grn arrow at 70lb bow? do i read it right?

Nope!

I goofed! It should be 370 grns. It's still slow, though.
    Jeep
    Gary Fisher
    Buck Knives

firecat

how does work on the 09 models compare to 08's
    Friends Dont Let Friends Go To Hell..
    60x strings staff shooter
    CRAZYHORSE ARCHERY 1-270-789-3776
    808xt BOWSLINGS
    www.60xcustomstrings.com
    Sponsored by Black Eagle Arrows & 3D Hunting Supply & PeeOn A Limb

The cams themselves have not changed,firecat's only change was the ccs and cosmetics.09's should tune the same as 08's
    Rytera Alien X
    Strother SX1
    Advantage Strings

Slow Slayer!

Here are the pics of my cam rotations and draw stop location. Bow was set at 59lbs and 16lbs holding weight (73% let off), and long draw mods maxed out on #9. It's only spitting out my 330gr CX Maximas at 302fps! My Mathews Apex at 60lbs and 30" cam spit out the same arrows at 290fps.

What am i doing wrong gentlemen?

Do I need to twist the cables up some more? Top post is just a hair tighter than 1/16" and the bottom post is tighter than that. Measured using a 1/16" allen key as a spacer.

Thanks,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Matt Tebbutt

B-Stinger Stabilization
    Hinky Strings

lower let-off, use speed-nocks.

Quote Originally Posted by igorts View Post
    lower let-off, use speed-nocks.
    I agree.

Basically,
    you have to increase the holding weight with the draw stop
    by adjusting the draw stop position.

When you adjust the draw stop closer to the center of the bow,
    then 2 things happen:

a) holding weight INCREASES

and

b) the bow DL also grows slightly.

So,
    to compensate for the slightly longer DL,
    ADD twists to the bowstring to shorten the DL a skosh,
    to get the DL back to where you want it.
    www.nutsandboltsarchery.com
    http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...=who+wants+dvd
    Send me an email for DVD = $25.00....

alanlui@comcast.net

but even at that 73% letoff shouldn't he be getting more than 302? I realize it's "the computer" but OT2 puts that config in the high 320's.

I was getting more than 302 with 29" DL and a slightly heavier arrow with my Slayer last year.
    Team LOFT: Achieving new levels of sucking, one arrow at a time.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine".......Mark Twain

For a bow that has an IBO spec of 350fps I am a little disappointed.

I'm going to play around a bit right now and see if I can get it at least respectable performance wise.
    Matt Tebbutt

B-Stinger Stabilization
    Hinky Strings

I'm going to play around a bit right now and see if I can get it at least respectable performance wise.
    IBO is 335 to 345, I was getting very good speeds with mine at 28.5 draw, 60# and 350 grain arrow. According to my specs I should of been below 300 and I was at 304 to 305 consistently. Just takes some playing with the cams and the speed nocks.

What is your setup maybe we can help with some suggestions.
    Crackerized Alien-X 60# 28.5" 306 FPS, Gold Tip Pro 5575, 2" Blazers, Bowmanhunter Wraps, Whisker Biscuit , Lone Wolf Sit & Climb, HHA 5519 XL, Archery Innovations Anchor Sight, 100gr Epic XC3 Broadheads, Posten 10" Woodsman Stab, RedHDCharm Loop and Serving Material,

My biggest fear is that when I'm dead and gone My wife will sell my Archery Equipment for what I told her I paid for it.

You said you are shooting it in the #9 slot, 31" dl correct?

Matt, what is the ATA and brace on your bow.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast