Thread: Slayer / CAT CAM GURUS Questions Please

Slayer / CAT CAM GURUS Questions Please

Just got the Slayer with CAT cams and I must say what a machine it looks like it’s going to be

However this Binary system is new to me and I do have questions that I guess I have not seen addressed in the other post on this cam

1)I have read that the draw stop should be set so the mods touch at the same time. If true is this a factor of twisting up the cables in order to “time” the mods to hit when the draw stop hits in the position the shooter chooses OR is it a process of moving the stop so it allows the mods to hit at the same time??

2)How does the draw stop affect the let off and can it get to high and “lock up” if not careful like the bowtechs could?

3)Does moving the stop affect draw length and how much if so ??

4) The cams are shimmed all the way to the left .Can they be shimmed all the way to the right??… If so will this be a problem with the operation of the cam???

Used to Solo cams and my Furious cams.. any advice would be appreciated

1)You can and may need to time the cams. By moving the stop, you will change the rotation allowed in the cams, thus changing where the mod is in realtion to the cable at full draw.

2)I have by stops set so they "choke up" on the draw. What I mean by this is that the placing of them is such that I do not drop all the way into the valley of the curve. Thus I get a shorter draw, and less let-off.

I wouldn't guess you could lock the bow up, as the flat stop on the mod would stop your draw. Don't quote me there.

3)Draw stop DOES affect draw length. I fould that the most minute movement of the stop affects dl quite a bit. Some thing like 1/16" on the stop equals 1/8" dl

4)Are you shooting a right handed bow, or left handed?
    "He who gives attention to the word [the Bible] will find good, and blessed is he who trusts in the Lord [Jesus]." - Proverbs 16:20

Right handed bow

It's a straight cable guard and it looks like I could get some better clearence switching the shims and moving the cam to the right

of course I have no idea yet if I would want or need to do it ... just putting it out there for discussion to get the answers so when I start tinkering I'll know

Right now the mods don't touch before the stop hits. I also feel like I might want to try and gain another few% of let off . I don't think it is quite at 80% yet

If the stops affect draw length that creates another intersting question. I'm shooting at 29" with a loop..... Would it be better for performance to set the bow at 28.5 and then take the other 1/2 out with the stop???

Or in fact set it at 29.5 and take up 1/2 with the stops??

Hmmmm.. I like this cam... so many choices ... but were to start???

What you're saying about your cables does not make sense to me. If your cable gaurd is on the right you would get by moving the string to the left, not the right. . . Do I have something backwards?

I haven't done the tests yet, but I would guess you'd be faster with a short stopped 29.5" set-up. My reasoning is that the cam would not have to overcome the valley before it gets into the hard part of the cam. . .
    "He who gives attention to the word [the Bible] will find good, and blessed is he who trusts in the Lord [Jesus]." - Proverbs 16:20

I just looked at your location center. . . You're a shucker!

From what I understand Cowboy is correct. I had my Firecat tuned by someone that knows these cams very well. My draw length is 28.5" and the stop is set to give me that. But my mods are set to the 29" setting. This is supposed to add speed but you do loose a little bit of let off %.
    Flowbie

maybe I'm not explaining it right

The cams are all the way to the left in the limb slot as far as they will go. If I reverse the shims on the axel they would then be all the way to the right as far as they will go ( assuming you are behind the bow as you think of this) . This in essence would pull the cables a little closer to the cable guard and it looks like I could use a little. But again it's not set up yet and I wont have time to play untill this weekend so maybe it's not what it appears

Right now if I line the arrow up with the center of the stabilizer bushing and limb bolts I will be getting vane contact in the cock vane up position with my quickspins

But like I said how it actually will tune is another point and the arrow may not want this position for best flight.... of course it may prefer one a little closer to teh cable as well

However I can turn the cock Vane left a quarter turn and I will get clearance so if it likes that posistion I can get somthing that works

Just being proactive right now and gathering eveybodys thoghts and knowledge

You're talking about moving the cables closer to the cable gaurd, not farther away?

If I've got that right, then I don't think you're gonna have problems with the cam operation. The only real affect i see this having is on cam lean.

From what I've noticed though, this cam will not center tune in line with the limb bolts and stab bushing. It will be to the left, or towards the outside of the shelf.

Yep closer to the cable guard

Cam lean so far looks great for this type of cam..

I suspect that the optimal setting will also be to the left of the bolts and bushing and if so that woudl be great

I'm sure eveything is they way it is for a reason .... but beign a tinkerer it's noce to know the options

ANybody else have input?

Ttt

Flow, From what I have found with the cat cam you are better off setting it in the 28in DL setting and twisting the cables up to get 28.5 I gained about 7FPS by doing this. The CAT cam really likes to be wrapped for performance.

4x20,
    The problem with twisting your cables is that you are increasing the draw weight. Did you check this? This may be where your 7fps came from. . .

ttt

Not as exciting as Elite threads but............

Quote Originally Posted by centerx View Post
    maybe I'm not explaining it right

The cams are all the way to the left in the limb slot as far as they will go. If I reverse the shims on the axel they would then be all the way to the right as far as they will go ( assuming you are behind the bow as you think of this) . This in essence would pull the cables a little closer to the cable guard and it looks like I could use a little. But again it's not set up yet and I wont have time to play untill this weekend so maybe it's not what it appears

Right now if I line the arrow up with the center of the stabilizer bushing and limb bolts I will be getting vane contact in the cock vane up position with my quickspins

But like I said how it actually will tune is another point and the arrow may not want this position for best flight.... of course it may prefer one a little closer to teh cable as well

However I can turn the cock Vane left a quarter turn and I will get clearance so if it likes that posistion I can get somthing that works

Just being proactive right now and gathering eveybodys thoghts and knowledge
    not sure on the martin limbs, but if you move the cams all the way right, would you not be moving the sting past the centerline of the limbs?

Reed
    sponsered by:My wife my bank and me,myself,and I

Don't think you would be. The center of the cam already sits to the left of center.

Ya'll ought to read the last post in this thread:

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=611716