Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Absolute Best Recipe for Backstrap!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by getupatree View Post
    LOL at the arm in motion eatin it up ......can't stop long enough for a photo
    LOL look at the size of that bite too. damn. couldn't even sit at the table before chowin down either. yes, they're that good....even when you burn the bacon and skewers, don't put enough cream cheese, and leave out the onions and peppers.

just razzin ya FallVitals. keep on cooking and grillin'...it's only gets easier.

you guys can also slice up a roast for this and it works excellent.

the bamboo skewers I use burn a little on the grill, but it isn't a problem...the idea of using a metal paper clip in the food just doesn't sit right with me but I'm sure it'd work.

thanks again, ballgame, for the recipe.

shoot often, hunt safe, have fun

I have done these for awhile and with just a few different twists. I used the steaks cut from the ham of an Axis deer, and I usually mix in some crystal hot sause into the cream cheese. I'll pound the steaks as thin as I can get them, stuff a piece of jap. add a sliver of onion and roll, trying to be able to fold the flaps over the ends. My bacon is the cheapest thinest I can find and I'll wrap the roll one direction and then go cross ways with the next wrap. helps keep filling in place. Just how I do it, but you guys have given me some great ideas. The only problem I have run into with these lil beuties is keeping my buddies from eating off the pit before the bacon in cooked, may have something to do with the

You guys are KILLING ME. This recipe sounds incredible. Deer season needs to get here... freezer is empty...... I cant wait to try it. One thing I will add about the skewers is maybe use the Kabob metal skewers? I have several that I think will be perfect.

Matt
    "The fastest way to ruin a good hunt is to shoot something."

Quote Originally Posted by matt3 View Post
    You guys are KILLING ME. This recipe sounds incredible. Deer season needs to get here... freezer is empty...... I cant wait to try it. One thing I will add about the skewers is maybe use the Kabob metal skewers? I have several that I think will be perfect.

Matt
    Ditto on that....deer season can't come fast enough..this looks like a great recipe, I 'm out of straps right now...

thanks a lot it really sounds good!!!!!

The recipe alone sounded great...but now that I've seen pics of it I'm dying over here! I can smell it cooking thru the computer screen!

Can't wait to try this one out!

Me too! Been waiting since spring for that first doe

I tried it last week at a beach-house on vacation with a bunch of non-hunting friends. Though not big game-eaters, they loved it and none was left over. I used hog backstraps for half of them, and these were also great. Used some cajun sausage made with venison.
    Thanks for the great recipe and I will use it again.

For those who need a simple recipe for just grilling some backstrap whole, try marinating in soy, ginger (real better than powder), garlic and rosemary- one of my favorites.

sounds like a good marinade, crawdad.

you guys with empty freezers better get out there and kill sumpthin.

I'm trying to clear the freezer and did it again last night with a sliced up roast...the lil' Weber gettin it done.
    Attached Images Attached Images

shoot often, hunt safe, have fun

Im so freaking hungry looking at that pic. Great recipe

We all agree. I did some last weekend and used cubed venison instead of pounding out my last remaining backstrap. I used reg. venison sausage and everything else the same recipe. MAN they were GOOOOOD. Thanks for sharin. I'm gonna try em next with Caribou.
    Gold Tip, Hamskea, Bowtech, B-Stinger
    TRU Ball, Bohning, Muzzy

just wanted to say thanks! (in a sarcastic way) the time is now 6:52am and right as i was goin to call it a night i come across this page and have the grill fired up!! and dont think i am kidding i planned to wait untill later but all of the sudden i am starving!!

I would like to extend a big thanks also.

I tried this on a WT I shot. FANTASTIC! Best EVER!

I did 12 up. I ate 3 at a time. As good or better re-heated. I continued to hunt during the week. Even thought about leaving the stand early to heat them bad boys up! (Then I came to my senses!)

Did 12 more when I got home from a muley I shot. (Leftovers are in my lunch today!)

Do you guys fry up the onions and green peppers or let the grill cook them inside the roll?

I am making these bad boys tonight, I can't wait to try them!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Checkmate View Post
    Do you guys fry up the onions and green peppers or let the grill cook them inside the roll?

I am making these bad boys tonight, I can't wait to try them!!!!
    I don't know about everyone else, but I put the onions in there raw and i guess that peppers would be raw too...however I cut them into small slivers...then cook until the bacon is carmalized. That way I know the thin venison is done and so is the onions and peppers. Basically when you see the cream cheese bubbling out then it is done. Doesn't take long...

Holy crap these things are good. I am just waiting to get hungry again so I can have more!!!!!!

I did mine with onions, green peppers, and sauteed mushrooms. They were incredibly tasty.

sauteed mushrooms huh? didn't even think about that. I wonder how cut up portabello mushrooms would go as one of the stuffing ingredients?

don't really know but I'm willing to try...got a road killed backstrap in the fridge...I may just cook this up this friday.

Yeah the mushrooms really added a nice touch. They were just sauteed in butter and they turned out well, I didn't have any wine to throw in with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Checkmate View Post
    Yeah the mushrooms really added a nice touch. They were just sauteed in butter and they turned out well, I didn't have any wine to throw in with them.

Bacon wraps

Just a helpful hint: A really good bacon to use for your wraps is Farmland Ciderhouse thick sliced bacon.....It's melt in your mouth sweetness.

I hate to say it but, this is probably one of the best recipes for backstraps I''ve ever used

My wife even loved it, and trust me, that says alot

Thanks for the Recipe!

Tried this recipe last night on my last Antelope Backstrap from last fall.
    3 words - DE-LIC-IOUS

My wife, mother in law, father in law, and sister in law all loved it.
    I think I ate myself sick.
    This one is definitely going in the old cookbook.

Thanks again!

John
    Mathews Heli-M 28/70
    PSE Bowmadness XS 28/70

By far the BEST thing I ever put in my mouth!!! I only cooked a couple just trying them out and I ate them up before the rest of my backstraps were done!! Thanks for the recipe!!!!
    Shoot with the FORCE
    Shoot to Live, Live for CHRIST
    Member of the PSE Militia
    2010 PSE Axe 6/Sword Twilight Hunter Micro/QAD HD PRO/Doinker Dish
    John's Customs Strings & Tuning

That recipe is Awesome! Took a while to prepare but well worth the it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Athens Archery Factory Staff Shooter www.athensarchery.com
    2012 Athens Recluse
    TRU Ball Staff Shooter
    Vendetta Stablizers CE Maxima Hunter 350 Arrows

This recipe looks awesome..one problem, I just moved in with my fiance and don't have a grill here...is there anyway I can remotely cook this ok-like in the oven? If so any tips?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast