Thread: Compound bow: what do the cables do?

Compound bow: what do the cables do?

I was looking at the cables and strings on my compound bow yesterday. I finally realized the strings and cables are independent. Each hooks on separately at various points.

Does anyone have a good conceptual understanding of what is going on with cams, strings, and cables on a compound bow? If so, can you enlighten me?

Thanks

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Ray.Klefstad View Post
    I was looking at the cables and strings on my compound bow yesterday. I finally realized the strings and cables are independent. Each hooks on separately at various points.

Does anyone have a good conceptual understanding of what is going on with cams, strings, and cables on a compound bow? If so, can you enlighten me?

Thanks

Ray
    in a nut shell.
    String is like the rope on your lawn mower ya pull it when ya pull it you cause the cams to rotate as the cams rotate they move one cable up and one cable down which in turn pull the limbs closer thereby increaseing the pressure which is call stored energy. when you get all the string pulled out you have stored all the energy in the limbs. then when ya let got the limbs return to rest returning the cams to rest position in turn cause the string to return to the rest position. this happens very rapidly the speed of the arrow is directly related to the string speed. the string returning to the rest position causes the arrow to be cast away from the bow.

The string and base cam create leverage against the cables and draw cam. As you draw the bow, the load is transferred from the string to the cables.

Thanks! That makes perfect sense.

Ray

Great question...