a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Young Deer With Broken Leg

Young Deer With Broken Leg

Yesterday I was sitting near my window when I noticed a young deer eating some Percimmins. But i notice that it wasnt walking correctly. It had a broken leg and it looked bad. I was about to take out my gun and put it out of its misery but its been coming back everyday to eat the percimmins and decided to poste somthing to ask you guys what you think I should do.

Thanks

Let it be. If its that bad the coyotes or dogs will take care of it. It could very well live and be neat deer to watch in the coming years

By the way why would you pull the GUN out to shoot it, you do have a bow right?

Quote Originally Posted by jcsanders79-xt View Post
    Let it be. If its that bad the coyotes or dogs will take care of it. It could very well live and be neat deer to watch in the coming years

By the way why would you pull the GUN out to shoot it, you do have a bow right?

why make it run with a broken leg? and i would rather kill it than have a coyote kill it slowly. if its walkin around and eating it probibly isnt that bad ya kno?
    Mathews DXT

copperjohn/fuse/goldtip/G5/alpine/winners choice

Is the season still open and do you have a tag? If so, then shoot it and enjoy the meat! If not, don't shoot!!!!!

The reason I chose the gun is because its quicker and painless depending where you shoot. I dont need a tag beccause its on my property.

Quote Originally Posted by steve_T View Post
    why make it run with a broken leg? and i would rather kill it than have a coyote kill it slowly. if its walkin around and eating it probibly isnt that bad ya kno?
    Its the natural way. No sense in breaking the law even if it is heart breaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckman15 View Post
    The reason I chose the gun is because its quicker and painless depending where you shoot.
    ??

The reason I chose the gun is because its quicker and painless depending where you shoot. I dont need a tag beccause its on my property.
    Where is "your property" at? Doesn't your state or province have game laws????

let him live, im sure hed rather be alive than in your freezer.
    Hoyt Element RKT, Victory Vaps, Spott HOG, QAD HDX

Quote Originally Posted by BigPappa View Post
    Is the season still open and do you have a tag? If so, then shoot it and enjoy the meat! If not, don't shoot!!!!!
    X2
    BowTech General, QAD Hdx, Copper John Mark III, Triphy Ridge Lite quiver, HiTek Eclipse Stab, Blackhawk Vapor, Rage 2blade 100gr.

On www.deer101.com their enclosure has 300 bucks in it ranging form 1.5-3.5 year old bucks. There is a buck in there that was fighting with another buck that got pushed back and had its back leg broke from the fight. the buck wasn't seen for several days. What it did was it laid down for about 4 days until it felt better to get up to feed. If you have not seen a 3 legged deer run before then you have not seen an amazing sight. They can run just as good as havin 4 legs. That buck was walking with a slight limp in 3 1/2 weeks from when its leg was broken. I talked to a biologist and he said deer are very harty animals, he said that if a deer broke its leg, it will mend and heal within 2-3 weeks. It won't be as good as new, but will heal and fuse. I was just like DANG! I say let the deer go, if he is feeding, he is feeling much better. Let nature take its course.
    2013 Hoyt Spyder30, Truglo quiver, QAD Ultra-Rest HDX, Apex Gear Tundra, Apex Bone Collector Pro-Tune XS Stabilzer, with Easton Nano's and 100gr NAP Spitfire Maxx
    InsaneArchery camera bow mount & Kodak Playsport ZX3

WB's initial thought was to kill, but after some reflection he thinks the deer might have a swagger. Maybe its just how that deer rolls.

WB says take a better look next time and see if the deer looks weak or malnurished. If so, cruise by slow with the window down.

Its the natural way. No sense in breaking the law even if it is heart breaking.
    i would rather kill it with a gun. if you shoot a deer in the head with a bow there is a great possibility that it will not die right away. if you shoot it with a gun it will probibly die right there.
    Mathews DXT

copperjohn/fuse/goldtip/G5/alpine/winners choice

Quote Originally Posted by WayneBrady View Post
    WB's initial thought was to kill, but after some reflection he thinks the deer might have a swagger. Maybe its just how that deer rolls.

WB says take a better look next time and see if the deer looks weak or malnurished. If so, cruise by slow with the window down.
    Every time I read your posts I think about the Sienfeld episode with Jimmy at the gym.

Every time I read your posts I think about the Sienfeld episode with Jimmy at the gym.
    jimmy says hi

X3

You don't need a tag? Where do you live?

I would like to see the regs for that state. If that's true, I'm buying me some more property to hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by WayneBrady View Post

A-C likes reading his posts. i think its MR. T

hahaha. man thats great!

anyways, I would say let nature run its course. If the deer is feeding then the leg can't be that bad

Saw this doe before season and wondered how she would do..
    she walks on it now and is healthy

Also keeping an eye on this lil one,

If it is season and you want it, shoot it. I think it has a good chance of making it though.
    TEAM 39 Pass Thru Posse
    29/61 Z7X
    49@28 Roy Hall Apache
    With gorilla gone, will there be hope for man? ~ Ishmael

Where is "your property" at? Doesn't your state or province have game laws????
    Quote Originally Posted by southerngirl View Post
    X3
    Make it "4"
    ~~Doug~~ N.O.A.H. PRO-Staffer
    2006 Hoyt Trykon XL 29"-70#'s / Alphamax 35 29" 60#
    Cabela's Carbon Stalker Extreme (MADE IN USA) tipped with ST Magnums
    Sword Apex Hunter / Sword Twilight Hunter with TT Micro-Adjust / Shaffer Tec Dropaway
    "What ever you say or do as a hunter reflects on all of us hunters, use good judgement!"

That's "Gimpy". A guy I hunt with shot a buck 3 years ago with a gun and never found him. They seen him the last 2 years and let him walk. Gimpy was doing just fine with a broken front shoulder. This year a guest hunter shot gimpy. He was just as healthy as all the other deer. Deer are tough animals.

If it's getting around ok and eating why do you think that you need to step in and do anything??? Let nature take care of it, I'll bet it's just going to be fine. Reminds me of all the people that pickup orphaned fawns.
    Last edited by old Graybeard; February 6th, 2008 at 08:24 AM.
    Pick a spot, a small spot!

If it seems healthy, I'm sure it is fine. I've made a mercy killing before myself, and there are times for it, but this doesn't sound like one to me.

I would let it go, she dosen't look like she's having any real problems with it.
    Stokerized Solid Aiming Solutions Pro Staff
    NFAA certified archery instructor
    hemlockarchery.com
    Strings by Mike Myers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast