Thread: Building a hickory longbow

Building a hickory longbow

Hey,
    I wanna build a hickory longbow. I've built many board bows and one hickory bow a long time ago. I was wondering what would be the most efficient dimensions, for speed. It seems like they do better with wider limbs in hickory. I want the bow to be about 68 in long and pull at least 50 at 28, because I plan on elk hunting with it. Thanks in advance.

I don't know about "perfect dimensions" for speed, but my best hickory so far is actually pretty narrow. 1 1/2" in the middle 36" (mine is only in the middle 16, but 36" wiould be much better). 70" for a 27" draw, 72" for 28". From the middle 3' taper straight to 3/8" nocks. 3/4" thick at the middle tapering straight to 5/16" at the tips. A D bow, with elliptical tiller, it draws 80# at 27" and is the best bow I've made so far. It shoots a 840 grain arrow exceptionally hard and fast, and is extremely acurate. I'll get points tonight.

thabnks kegan, how do you like the length for hunting? Ive got a few ideas to try out, im just waitin on my stave to get here, so i can start.

I love the length. My bow has followed the string "badly", about 3" (which could have been prevented had I left the middle 3' full width and then tempered the belly), but it is the most accurate bow I have made or shot. Accuracy out to 40 yards if I practice frequently enough is not impossible. I have no problem manuvering in brush. The stability is worth any slight lack of "manuverability" that people seem to have.

thanks for the info i think im gonna kind of go off that design if you dont mind, prolly make it 72 in just for security because im planning a rocky mt elk hunt with it and i dont want it to break in the dry high altitude ya know

Thanks again

Hickory won't break. Ever. I've tried it before, and nothing. I've put bows in my dryer to wehre the tips and outer limbs were less tahan 6%. But no problem. If you want another design, a wide limbed pyramid desgn with the limbs 2 1/2" wide tapering to 1/4" wide and 3/8" over the entire thickness should yield an extremely fast bow.

thanks im workin on it right now, i think im gonna go with 13/4 wide tapered to 3/8 72 in long and shoot for 53 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by nmubowyer View Post
    thanks im workin on it right now, i think im gonna go with 13/4 wide tapered to 3/8 72 in long and shoot for 53 lbs
    That sounds good. What draw length?

28 im set on 53 lbs cuz i was thinkin about what draw for elk, and remembered readin somethin by jim hamm i think a few yrs ago about someone who twoholed an elk with a 53 lb longbow, so hopefully ill be somewhere in that range
    thanks for the info that helped i havent built a hickory bow in about 7 yrs i think

That should be a good bow. Hevay arrows (600+ grains) and a good broadhead should give you the power needed to drop a "king of the mountain".

id be pretty ecstatic even with a queen of the mountain

i have been around longbows off and on but have'nt shot much at all . I have done a little wood working before . I was wondering if you had ever seen a bow with a 36 in draw between 50 to 70 lbs. I am 6ft 6 in with right at a 35.5 to 36 in draw . Being tight on money I am really considering building a bow to hunt with at work . i can deer hunt there but i cant carry a firearm in a company vehicle . Would you have any ideal on the dimensions on a bow any were close to fitting me ?