a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: How Do You Uncock Your Crossbow ?

Question How Do You Uncock Your Crossbow ?

I know the Excal’s can be uncocked using the cocking rope. Curious if any of the compound shooters have any similar techniques.

discharge it into a bag target is what I do/recomend. Why strain yourself and potential get hurt???

Wyvern

only one way to really do it safe and that is
    shoot it.

I shoot mine into a dirt bank by my parking spot when hunting. not the best but works. I have special arrows for decocking so if I loose of destroy them I don't care.

When hunting I de-cock my Excal with the cocking rope. Fast and easy. Much faster than setting up and shooting a target or looking for the arrow after shooting it into the dirt.

As a bonus one of the states that I hunt requires that you stop hunting at sunset. That state also considers a cocked xbow a loaded weapon, with or without an arrow on the rail. Using the cocking rope I can hunt until sunset, uncock the xbow and walk out of the woods staying legal.

Bob
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

Sean McKenty Guest
    if I can get my 10year old neice to uncock a exomax by herself with no problems it shouldn't be for anyone else

The question was about compound bows. I have uncocked mine with a rope from time to time, but certainly advise shooting it instead. Quick and easy.

My state has no such "cocked is loaded" law, so I just normally wait until I get home.

Sean McKenty Guest
    with the let off of the compound system it would be much easier, she can let down my HortonHD 175 just as easy. one finger to trigger it of and one hand on the rope to let it down. This is the first thing I teach to new crossbow shooters. Being able to do this is imperative if shooting in tournaments.

Depends. If it's light out I often shoot a practice bolt to decock my compound. But, I've learned to decock it using the rope cocker and a 4'' piece of bolt to deactivate the anti dryfire device.
    The Excal I decock with the rope cocker when hunting..

It does depend on the bow. Horton doesn't have a dry fire preventing mechanism, and some Ten Points also have a foregrip safety. You would need to block, and stretch for several things at once.

I am not a tourney shooter, but am curious, when would you need to uncock the bow without shooting it into the target? I would very much like to know more about event protocol.

Sean McKenty Guest
    for the ten points I use a small piece of shaft and a plastic hand clamp for the forearm. It is quite easy.

so you have a potential projectile pointed at your foot while it is in the stirrup when you are decocking it?

The bad thing about decocking a crossbow by hand is if you slip you just dry fired your bow and If you use something to over come the DFI you will send it down the barrel as well.

In MD a crossbow is not considered loaded unless it has an arrow on the flight deck.

Sean McKenty Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rickyp View Post
    so you have a potential projectile pointed at your foot while it is in the stirrup when you are decocking it?

The bad thing about decocking a crossbow by hand is if you slip you just dry fired your bow and If you use something to over come the DFI you will send it down the barrel as well.

In MD a crossbow is not considered loaded unless it has an arrow on the flight deck.

Don't need your foot in the stirrup to uncock it. And I never uncock it without a rope. The main problem with just shooting it is that if your umong friends it isn't a problem but when you need to uncock it during a tournamnent for whatever reason that option may not be readily available.

i usually block the hand safety with a piece of plastic i made and hold the d.f.i with one finger and thumb fire it into both hands really easy probably not the safest but it works for me, now the exocet is a different story the power is right at your hands so if ya screw it up you will dry fire it so i let the string cocker do the work,speed........

Quote Originally Posted by Wyvern Crossbow View Post
    discharge it into a bag target is what I do/recomend. Why strain yourself and potential get hurt???

Wyvern
    yep
    Regards,

Pete

uncock !

let the bolt fly my friend. may void your any Warranty
    you have. always carry a " Bad Bolt " with ya when you hunt.