Thread: Looking for adjustable youth bow???

Looking for adjustable youth bow???

I am looking for a nicer youth bow with room for adjustablility both in draw length and draw weight. It is for a 4th grader that is just starting out. We are just trying to find something to get him shooting because he has shown a lot of interest! Not really wanting to go over $200 and the more accessories the better!

Those of you that have little ones, what bow do you recommend?? Thanks!
    2014 Elite E32 29.5" 72lbs - 2014 Elite E35 29.5" 71lbs - 2013 Elite Hunter 29.5" 61lbs
    Slick Trick Viper Tricks - Dead Center Archery Priducts - HHA Sights - QAD HDX

The $200 price is tough if you want the bow to grow with him. The Diamond Edge in my opinion is the best deal (appx $300). You can can upgrade limbs as he grows stronger. I also believe that the Parker Buckshot (appx. $320) offers this type of program. It used to be $50 and the limbs, send that in and get the next weight class for both bows if I'm not mistaken. Both bows come as a package-sights,rest,quiver. There may be other brands but these are the two that I would consider. Good luck

I'm planning on looking at the Whisper Creek Phantom for my kids.

http://whispercreekarchery.com/Products/phantom.htm

Has a bunch of adjustability and MSRP is $199

I just talked to a guy at Whisper Creek about this bow and he was VERY helpful and answered all my questions. He also told me you can call Whisper Creek and order direct from him, or order online at the Doc's Deer Scents website... pretty cool!

After that, depending on draw weight, look at a PSE Spyder, PSE Nova or other bow in the used market (or 2007 clearance rack) as $200 won't get you much in the new market.
    Last edited by Illustrator; February 26th, 2008 at 03:08 PM.
    2008.5 Elite GT500 — True Glo Xtreme — Ripcord Rest — G5 metapeep — PR Signature Stabilizer — Gold Tip Hunter Pro Arrows with Blazers — Trophy Ridge Sidewinders — Scott Little Goose
    Also in the house: Hoyt Trykon Sport — Mission Craze — Fuse Freestyle etc etc etc

I bought my son his first "real bow" last year when he was 6 (1st grade). We looked at quite a few and settled on the Darton Ranger 2... It has been an excellent bow.

The reviews are very good on it, it comes with modules to adjust draw length from 17-25 inches and poundage is adjustable from 15-45 pounds!

LINK: Darton Ranger II

I believe I paid around $230 or $240 for it...

It's been a good one for us so far, and at least worth looking at. The Diamond Youth bow is sweet... I just didn't want to spend that much and I liked the adjustability of the Darton.

Good luck!

p.s. I just took a look at the Whisper Creek youth bows that Illustrator recommended... good looking bows for the $$$ and I'd definitely check them out also....

Last edited by ascmtn; February 26th, 2008 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ascmtn View Post
    p.s. I just took a look at the Whisper Creek youth bows that Illustrator recommended... good looking bows for the $$$ and I'd definitely check them out also....
    Yeah, I was looking at the Genesis, but a Genesis package is more, and doesn't come with a site or rest. I want my kids shooting a bow that will transition them to a larger hunting bow, not have to learn a whole new skill set.
    2008.5 Elite GT500 — True Glo Xtreme — Ripcord Rest — G5 metapeep — PR Signature Stabilizer — Gold Tip Hunter Pro Arrows with Blazers — Trophy Ridge Sidewinders — Scott Little Goose
    Also in the house: Hoyt Trykon Sport — Mission Craze — Fuse Freestyle etc etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by Illustrator View Post
    Yeah, I was looking at the Genesis, but a Genesis package is more, and doesn't come with a site or rest. I want my kids shooting a bow that will transition them to a larger hunting bow, not have to learn a whole new skill set.
    The Genesis mini and regular genesis does come with a rest.The Genesis pro
    does not come with a rest.They are all drilled and tapped for sight mounting.
    My daughter has the regular genesis and my wife has the Pro.Nice bows for
    the money imo. Obsession archery has them online for $145.00.
    Alphamax 32 27.5 70lbs. / Trophy Taker Smackdown/
    Extreme Challenger /Easton xx78 2315 490 grains 266 fps./
    /Grim Reaper Razor Tip 100 gr./Gar God Bowstrings/

If I had a youngster I would get a Whisper Creek Phantom too. They could use it for a long time without replacing any components. Great kids bow.

Quote Originally Posted by Texoma View Post
    The Genesis mini and regular genesis does come with a rest.The Genesis pro
    does not come with a rest.They are all drilled and tapped for sight mounting.
    My daughter has the regular genesis and my wife has the Pro.Nice bows for
    the money imo. Obsession archery has them online for $145.00.
    Well, then you still have to buy a site. Yes, they are nice bows, but they are more expensive.... over $200 by the time you get everything, typically, especially when you are talking about the pro. The Phantom is comparable in features, but a lot less, and meets the OPs budget, imo.

I bought my son his first hunting bow when he was 11. It is an Alpine Impact Extreme. The draw lenght adjust from 23 to 30 inches without needing a bow press. Just back 2 allen set screws out of the stalker cams and move them to the next position. 1/2 inch adjustments. It was a package deal. The draw weight goes to 60 pounds. One thing I did not realize when we purchased it- the peak weight of 60 pounds is when it is at 30 inch draw. For example, when he is younger and his draw lenth is 24 inches, the peak weight may be 35 pounds. (not sure of exact numbers).

He took a 4 point his 2nd year. He is 15 now, and when he is done growing, we will make a bigger investment. I imagine you can find a used one relatively cheap.
    Matthews Q2
    Gold Tip
    3 blade, 100 grain muzzy's

I bought my 9 year old a Bear Odyssey II package for Christmas. He has sort of lost interest but his 7 year old brother is shooting the bow all the time. Funny thing is my wife comes down and says 'can I try it'. Now the two of us (9 year old and me) who shot the most in the basement , now shoot the least. The bow was more money than you are planning on spending (as was I) but after seeing it get used here I am not as worried about it.
    Mathews Switchback 63# 29" Diamond back drop away Vital Bow Gear Starlight
    Victory Arrows and FOBs YEAH BABY!

Get an Athens protege they are slot more expenxive but they are the absolute best youth bows by far!

I bought my son a Whisper Creek Panther youth bow, which I think is the step up from a phantom. I really like that bow...goes from 20-50 and 21-28" draw I think..He out grew his lil black Bear bow and this one fits him perfect..set at 22 lbs..min draw length. perfect fit. Has a nice sight, quiver, but I put a whisker biscuit I got from AT on it..shoots great...Really nice bow. Btw he is a first grader if that helps anything..
    God - Wife - 3 Kids
    Mathews Chill 70-30 /Spot Hogg Real Deal 5 Pin
    MPSI Bushmaster / NAP Apache 5"
    Carbon Express Maxima 350 / G5 Tekan II
    Go Cardinals!

How about the Mission Menace? Does anyone have any experience with this bow? Specs look good...

If you can find a used Browning Micro Midas, grab it!
    "One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted." ~~ Jose Ortega y Gasset

Athens protege..hands down the best on the market...pricy but you are buying a very well made bow.

My girls are both getting protege's for christmas..

I would continue to look through classifieds here and google archery forums some others may have a classified as well. Second check with all of the proshops in your area quite often they will have used youth bows very reasonably priced. Third check out the local 4H program if they have a archery programs there will likely be kids that are ready to move up in bow size. Find out where they hold their practice and ask the coachs.

I got my son and Alpine Micro last year when he was in the 4th grade and he has grown into it very well. Easily adjustable and easy to set up.
    2009 Mission X3
    56 lbs, 29" DL
    TruGlo Micro-Brite
    Whisker Biscuit
    Easton ST Excel

Parker BuckShot
    10" of DL adjustment, you can trade in the limbs for higher poundage for $50(I think...something around that anyway)
    Ford 8n Pro Staff
    =============
    Vegetarians...What fun is it to hunt a vegetable! Anyone can sneek up on a carrot!

Quote Originally Posted by redruff View Post
    Parker BuckShot
    10" of DL adjustment, you can trade in the limbs for higher poundage for $50(I think...something around that anyway)
    Excellent little bow and a very good company to work with.
    2014 Hoyt Faktor 30 28"/65lb
    Spot-Hogg Hunter 7 pin wrapped sight, Limbdriver Pro Rest, Treelimb Premium Quiver
    Custom Strings by Gene Kossuth @ Genes Strings 1-573-578-0309

Browning Micro Midas or Bear Apprentice. I just bought my wife the Bear Apprentice a few months ago and it is an awesome bow. Short, light , accurate and whisper quiet. Draw length and draw weight have a very wide range of adjustibility also.