Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: things youve found while hunting

things youve found while hunting

i dont recal there being a thread recently about this, and i cant find anything when i search. has anyone found anything interesting while in the woods? on time in the 70's on an elk hunt here in new mexico there was a really bad snow storm and a ton of elk hunters got stranded in the mountains and had to be air rescued. they left their whole camps there(the area is very secluded and hard to get to) and my dads family went up and found guns and knives. also a few times my dad has found knives and good camping equipment at old campsited from where people got really drunk and lost things or forgot that they took them out. any good stories?

I was running around on a big chunk of papermill land. I was bushwacking due north, trying to find the road before dark and walked onto an old house. It was really nothing more than a shack. The roof was caved in and there was all kinds of old junk laying around. It had to have been there a very long time. I poked around as much as I could then marked it on my garmin and made it out well after dark. Here's the funny thing... For some reason the waypoint never showed up on my gps This was two years ago and I have since become obsessed with finding it again. I asked all the locals and nobody knows anything about it. I called Plum-Creek (the owner) and nobody knew. I have been out many a time trying to find it with no luck. It can't be more than a mile from the road. Some day they will log-out the land and find it

I found a knife. It was a real piece of crap so it's still there. The only items of interest I've found are some arrowheads while out hunting speed goats.

found a hatchet one time...
    and i actually found 3 arrows stacked side by side by side in the ground on a deer trail...I looked around some more and could see marks in a tree where a guy used a climber(this was on public land) Must be the guys shot his bow to see if it was on or not and then forgot to grab his arrows on the way out...but what i cant figure is why someone would want to shoot 3 times
    Katera XL Armortech PRO Easton Axis 340's 100gr Grim Reaper Razortips FOBS

Vector Turbo
    Armortech PRO Easton Axis 340's 100gr Grim Reaper Razortips FOBS
    Quote Originally Posted by nagster View Post
    Lots of quiver sniffin going on in that facebook exchange

I've lost some good stuff.

i never find anything cool...

My hunting partner and I found and M16 that had been ran over by a skidder.
    KMTRA
    2014 Hoyt CST American Heritage/QAD/HHA/Doinker
    Trust me, its the indian not the bow !!

One hunting trip in the 70's in NM, we had to be airlifted out of our camps due to snow. We went back in that next summer to get everything we left, but it was gone.
    2006 LH Bowtech Old Glory 70#, 32 1/2" draw, back to the Hostage rest, SH 7-pin Hunter, 500gr TR Crush 300 @ 285fps.
    2007 LH Bowtech Commander 60#, 32" draw, Limbdriver rest, BG 5-pin Flashpoint.
    2014 LH PSE Freak SP 70#, 32" draw, not set up yet.

a bowling ball
    Μολὼν λαβέ

So far I have found a couple knives, two camp stools, a canteen, a grunt call, a vest, a pair of shoes, and some old underwearAlso found a tagged and field dressesed buck with a drag rope tied around his neck and an orange vest wrapped around it's chest, it was very old
    Pick a spot, a small spot!

Found another guys chair in one of our hunting shacks. This trespasser was so bold to leave the chair in the blind as well as add another window to our hunting shack. Gotta love private land!!

Have found the occasional arrow in the woods, found one with an old Bear head on it.

Stumbled acrossed an old dumping ground too, lots of old antique bottles and cans.
    Rules for posting in the Classifieds-Please click on the link: http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/announ....php?f=8&a=168

Proud Staff Shooter for T.R.U Ball releases, Black Eagle Arrows, ProLine Bow Strings, Bohning Archery, Bling Sling & Onestringer Arrow Wraps

Found a guy sitting in my treestand once. I could have done without that one.
    Last edited by Southpaw38; February 27th, 2008 at 07:05 AM. Reason: sp

Pager
    Other hunters arrows
    gloves
    A dollar bill??
    Outhouse
    Old well house

Quote Originally Posted by belden148 View Post
    found a hatchet one time...
    and i actually found 3 arrows stacked side by side by side in the ground on a deer trail...I looked around some more and could see marks in a tree where a guy used a climber(this was on public land) Must be the guys shot his bow to see if it was on or not and then forgot to grab his arrows on the way out...but what i cant figure is why someone would want to shoot 3 times
    MUST HAVE BEEN LOST AND SHOT THREE TIMES TO SIGNAL FOR HELP

Found

also found a old dump,many cool bottles,and a aluminum sling shot,old wooden treestands,sheds/skulls/old amc gremlin in the middle of nowhere/and some farm tools,,last year I shot a buck and where he fell is where I gutted him,,left my favorite knive there,,went back this year and found it where I left it on a fall down
    Scorer: Pope & Young
    N.Y.S Big Buck club
    north east Big Buck club
    BuckMasters
    YOUR ONLY AS GOOD AS YOUR SPOT!

Found

Last spring when turkey hunting, I reached down to pick up what I thought was a golf ball by the base of a large oak. Really should not have been in these thick woods, but.. there it was.
    It turned out to be the brass ball on the end of a horse yoke/bridle. I assume it was left when the hillside was logged off w/ horses decades ago.

When rabbit hunting w/ my Dad when I was in high school, found a case of beer hidden under some brush along an old farm road. In school, after telling my story, a couple of class mates came up and wanted their beer back!

Found

While turkey hunting in the spring of 2006 I noticed something waving in the tree in front of me. After the sun started breaking I could see a heavy string with a small box on the end.
    After no turkeys, I walked over to discover a weather baloon had come down it the tree row.
    It had instructions to mail the transmitter back in an plastic envelope that was inside the transmitter.
    We also stumble up on a lot of old "home places" with good junk piles.
    Old cars, tractors, glass bottles.
    I am always loosing good stuff, never finding anything.
    Last edited by mmo901; February 27th, 2008 at 08:26 AM.

Where i hunt there is what used to be an old cowboy line cabin. It's made of native stone from Archer County. Only thing wood on it is the roof, which mostly collapsed. I think its probably at least 120 yrs old or older. Amazing how small cabins used to be. It's probably only about 20'x10'. I was pokin around in their last yr. and found 3 antique branding irons. There was not a full brand on the end however, just a short bar, 2 curved and one straight. That only means one thing if you know anything about brands, RUSTLERS! Cow thieves used that little cabin and left their branding irons in there. Maybe they got strung up!
    I left em in there. I need to go get them, take some pics of them and the old cabin, and give them to a museum around here. Cattle thieves or not, its part of our history here.
    Quote Originally Posted by gun870guy View Post
    I wish more of you daisies actually went out and failed and learned something on yer own. This isn't a place to learn bowhunting from some J@ck@$$.

A live mortar round! A mountain area near here use to be used as a firing/training range for national guard troops and army regs in the early 50s and fairly often unexploded rounds are found as well as .50 cal ammo,mess kit parts, artillary brass,etc.Supposedly they did a walk through cleanup last couple of years,posted warning signs (call this # if ?!?!?)My bests guess is there is still undetonated ordinance out there.

Last fall my dad and I were hunting a wilderness area in Montana and were about 3 miles from the trail head the first morning. We had climbed about half way up the mountain to our pet stop and stopped to camo up and take a leak. When I looked down at where I was about to go, I see the unmistakeable eyepiece cover to Swarovski binos. I reached down and picked up a set of 10x42 Swarovskis that looked like they had been bitten by a bear on both ends. We are still not sure if the owner was attacked(grizzly country) or if they just got lost them and were chewed on later but after sending them in for repair, I am pretty happy with that bit of luck. We pretty much knew after that find we were not going to enjoy any luck on the elk.

a coffee can filled with about 30 glass pipes and a little contraband.

I found an old gun once.... it looked like it had sat out there for years.... it was all rusted out and the wood was rotting away....Found several pot plants... a few knives.... found some tree stands and blinds on my families land... I always take them and leave a note that if they want them back to call me (I give my phone number) and I will arrange for them to come pick them up at my house..... but they never call....

The most interesting thing I ever found was a 6 year old kid.... it was deer season and apparently this little boy walked off from his yard and got lost in my woods.... so I walked him back home... much to the relief of his mom.

A tent filled with goodies where a homeless person had been camping out. We called the police and they caught him a few days later.

I found my knife that I lost three years prior. I just walked through our swamp and kneeled down on the trail and ther it was in the grass. A little rusty but I cleaned it up as a souvenir.

I found a pair of binoculars...gave them to the wife to watch plays at the Muny, here in St. Louis.
    "His arrow will flash like lightning." Zechariah 9:14
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder 30, CBE Tek Hybrid sight, QAD Ultra Rest HDX, Injexion Arrows & Blazers, QAD Exodus broadheads, TightSpot quiver, Stokerized SS1 stabilizer, Spot Hogg Wiseguy release, Zeiss Conquest HD binocs, Leica 1000R rangefinder, Kifaru Timberline 2 pack, Bark River Gunny Hunter blade, Kuiu clothing, Lowa Cevedale boots

Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast