Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536

Thread: things youve found while hunting

Big stands of weed....several times. You can usually smell it long before you find it.
    Elite Judge
    Elite Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Billie View Post
    Attachment 1957920was hunting in miss last season on a lease that hasn't had people living on it since the civil war, and while walking out found this old well. I had walked within 3feet of it in the dark. Would have been a classic missing persons/alien abduction story, cause I would have NEVER been seen again!
    that would have been a bad day

Wow I just read ALL 35 and a half pages.
    Cool stuff for sure.
    The only cool thing I really ever found was this foot print 187 air miles in the Alaskan wilderness.

IMG_1311.jpg
    www.absolutearcheryllc.com
    darin@absolutearcheryllc.com

Every morning when you wake up thank God for everything in your life and when you lay your head down at night you will find you need not ask him for anything again.

Say what ^^^That is crazy. I wish I could find some of the stuff you guys do!

Quote Originally Posted by fultontx View Post
    I was running around on a big chunk of papermill land. I was bushwacking due north, trying to find the road before dark and walked onto an old house. It was really nothing more than a shack. The roof was caved in and there was all kinds of old junk laying around. It had to have been there a very long time. I poked around as much as I could then marked it on my garmin and made it out well after dark. Here's the funny thing... For some reason the waypoint never showed up on my gps This was two years ago and I have since become obsessed with finding it again. I asked all the locals and nobody knows anything about it. I called Plum-Creek (the owner) and nobody knew. I have been out many a time trying to find it with no luck. It can't be more than a mile from the road. Some day they will log-out the land and find it
    You should use bing maps and then do birds eye, if the satellite has taken those pics it'll be there. Pm of you find it....curious.

I have found all kinds of stuff, mostly junk

but, the coolest was a an axe blade next to a 6 foot diameter shag bark hickory tree, I was in awe of such a big hickory tree, decided to sit down next to the giant to admire and found it

Also found 2 $100 bills frozen on the ice on the saginaw river! that was cool!
    Pope and Young Club Member
    Whitetails Unlimited Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by EXsystem View Post
    I was hunting private land in the morning and I left my climber at the base of the tree when I went in for lunch. Came back for an afternoon hunt to find my climber gone and a Budwiser at the base of the tree.
    lol

that sucks
    Pope and Young Club Member
    Whitetails Unlimited Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fritzzer View Post
    My hunting buddy has a great picture of something he came across in the woods. He was in his stand the first day of PA rifle season. About mid day he sees another blaze orange hunter, pants, coat, gloves, hat & scarf, climb up a nearcy stand and start hauling things up with a rope. After quite awhile the guy is finally up must can't stay still and keeps making a racket. Frustrated as hell, my buddy finally gives up and climbs down to get away from the guy and hunt elsewhere. As he passes the guy he heres noise. My buddy approached him and then just started to laugh. The guy had a big blue and white cooler up there and about a 2 foot long radio playing music! My buddy laughed out loud and took the guys picture. I wish I had a copy to post cause it is the most ridiculous thing you ever saw.
    Lol... I laughed so hard!

Bowtech EXPERIENCE - Spot Hogg - QAD HDX - Stokerized - G5 T3's

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Coon View Post
    lets see...a gps(not in working order though) a knife, flashlight, and good pair of gloves.

the most scary thing i found was a confederate soldier and his wife's grave site a couple miles back into a national forest here in louisiana at the butt crack of dawn! i took pictures with my phone as soon as it got light enough to see well and then got out of there.

when i squirrel hunt public land i like to get to the woods about 30 to 45 minutes before daylight. what i do then is pick a direction on my compass and walk briskly until it gets light enough to hunt. i like doing this because i have no clue where i am when i stop which gives me a sense of adventure and it normally yields unpressured squirrels. on this particular morning i decided to see if i could find a stand of hardwoods i spotted on a map about 1.5 miles off a forest service road in a area of the forest that i have never hunted. so like normal when i arrived in the morning i marked my truck on the gps, picked up my compass and took off walking 45 minutes before daylight... about 30 minutes into my walk i had just enough light to make out sticks and leaves on the ground. i wasn't where i wanted to be yet so i started walking faster. not more than 4 minutes into my brisk walk i am about to crest a hill that i decided would be the starting point for my hunt, and when go to put my foot down, a dark squiggly line on the forest floor beneath my right foot causes me to involuntarily to jump straight back. F***ing Snake! i promptly blew its head off for having the nerve to lay in my path.

after taking a few moments to settle down i continued up to the hillcrest. just before i got to the top i notice a grey and unnatural shape in the near dark distance. as my eyes focus i make out what the copperhead was laying watch over!

now i am really spooked!. i am over a mile in the back of nowhere in murderous (true), inbred, hillbilly, redneck, can't accept the fact that this is forest service land not your family's anymore land. i almost got bit by a poisonous snake, and now looking at someone out there's great great grandpappy's grave! not to be too cliche, but i did have the sound of banjo's streaming through my head. i knew that people knew where the site was because the fence wasn't of the civil war era to say the least, there was a not too old confederate flag stuck next to the tombstone of the soldier, and the third tombstone was from the 70's or 80's.....

beside old demcy lay his wife who was deceased years before him

after taking the photos, i said a quick prayer for my safety and took off walking back towards the truck. i resumed my hunt once i was insight of the road i drove in on.... for some reason i didn't mark the site on my gps. this all happened 3 years ago and i tried to find the grave a couple of times last year but i have been unsuccessful.
    Would this happen to be around Goldonna, la in the Winn ranger district????
    Carbon Spyder 30 70# @ 29"....we put meat in the freezer!!!

good thread
    SOUTH DAKOTA STATE 3-D ARCHERY CHAMPION
    Diamond Core #55 27" 280 fps, Cabela's Stalker 400, Apex Covert Sight 0.010,
    Carbon Express Torrid SS 3 Blade 100 Grain, Trophy Taker Rest, Blazer Vanes.

Quote Originally Posted by jdslyr View Post

Also found 2 $100 bills frozen on the ice on the saginaw river! that was cool!
    I lost that. Could you return it to me please?

Quote Originally Posted by eblues View Post
    I found a rifle in the river of no return wilderness of Idaho. It was about 25 miles back in from the trail-head, leaning against a tree in a tangled mess of blowdowns. The area had a massive forest fire the year before, & the stock was charcoal. There was also a round in the chamber that had exploded from the heat. Turned out to be a buddy of the outfitters, guy named Stan Potts. He had lost it 40 some years before.
    You could loose may things in that vast wilderness and never find it again... That salmon river and surrounding mountains speak to my soul...perhaps my favorite place on earth... cool story...Stan Potts!!!

How about this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Man View Post
    How about this?
    That's good eating right there. lol
    www.absolutearcheryllc.com
    darin@absolutearcheryllc.com

Every morning when you wake up thank God for everything in your life and when you lay your head down at night you will find you need not ask him for anything again.

Ttt this is a good thread
    G5 Quest Primal 60# @28.5DL
    GT Hunters, 450grs

I've found unexploded bombs way back in the woods. It used to be an artillery range back during the big one. I was going to carry one out about a mile but it was heavy. Good idea huh. They've since swept the area and put out signs to not touch them and report any.
    Mathews heli-m
    Mathews Chill
    Mathews Z7 extreme
    Hoyt Vantage Elite
    Hoyt horizon Olympic recurve

Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536