Thread: $ 4.00 a gal. gas by spring.

$ 4.00 a gal. gas by spring.

Now that its out of the bag what do you think its impact will be upon the nation, economy, as well as yourself,,,,and hunting!!

Quote Originally Posted by wind in face View Post
    Now that its out of the bag what do you think its impact will be upon the nation, economy, as well as yourself,,,,and hunting!!
    Limited travel to the point of none, work from home 4 days a week, hunting it won't impact... i hunt 2 miles from home so no big deal there, but it will definately keep me home a lot more.

at 4.00 a gallon my wife and I would go through approx 130.00 a week. (over 500 a month).

Basically we'll limit it to around 200.00 a month, cut out the long range trips, limit driving and a firm limit of 200 so it will certainly impact our lifestyle and daily living

Won't affect my hunting or 3D shooting trips, those are sacred.

Look, gas has doubled from $2.00/gal to $4.00/gal over 4 years, it isn't going back down, adjust and get a smaller vehicle and it won't make that much difference, that is unless you were driving a Geo Metro when gas was $2.00/gallon, then, you are just screwed and will have to get a bicycle like the Canadians.

High gas prices affect everything that has to be manufactured or delivered. Even the price of minnows will go up to cover delivery costs. Add in the housing slump (thanks to questionable loans by the home loan industry) and rising food prices (the increased demand on farmland for corn (ethenol) causing a reduction in the supply of other grains) and we're looking at the real possibility of a recession.

On the plus side, Cities, Counties, States and Congress won't be able to raise our taxes if we don't have any money and the illegal aliens may go back home on their own.

Yo ho yo ho, a pirate's life for me
    We pillage and plunder, we rifle and loot
    Drink up me 'earties, yo ho
    We kidnap and ravage and don't give a hoot

...I guess the Amish have it made with the exception of needing Propane.
    "Speed is only Velocity without Direction."
    In Memory of Cliff my Bro: Martin Fury, Darton Mt Bow, Triumph, Drenalin LD, Conquest 3, Monster 7
    **Ohio Division of Wildlife Hunter Ed. Instructor, NRA Life Member, Free Mason**
    Romans 12:1-21, Matthew 5:1-20

Quote Originally Posted by Tecumseh View Post
    yeah there is no tax on cocaine and crack transporting

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Pine View Post
    rising food prices (the increased demand on farmland for corn (ethenol) causing a reduction in the supply of other grains)
    I was reading an article a few weeks ago about how corn prices had even outpaced the ethanol market and that 60 to 70 plants nationwide were halting the construction of new ethanol plants. The article made it seem as if corn is similar to tech stocks in the late 90's and will come back to earth shortly, which should help a lot of people out as far as food prices go. The article was merely an editorial in my local paper so I am not sure of its validity.

I just paid 16 bucks for two bags of corn, a year ago that would have bought almost 5 bags.
    Ross 331 NCWID

The Amish of Lancaster PA have a health insurance plan called Church Aid.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rocker View Post
    I just paid 16 bucks for two bags of corn, a year ago that would have bought almost 5 bags.
    Yeah and ethenal is not the answer. Isn't worth a flip. Remember "corn-a-hal" in the late 70s. Alot of people went broke back then too.

And not having HD TV

Everyone will be screwed. I just got this months oil bill and holy crap I'm going to refy the house!!!
    ______________________________ ______________________________ ____________________
    VBG Kaz-away-Spot Hogg-Axis400-Vista Quiver-Attic Strings

Quote Originally Posted by sweryap View Post
    I was reading an article a few weeks ago about how corn prices had even outpaced the ethanol market and that 60 to 70 plants nationwide were halting the construction of new ethanol plants. The article made it seem as if corn is similar to tech stocks in the late 90's and will come back to earth shortly, which should help a lot of people out as far as food prices go. The article was merely an editorial in my local paper so I am not sure of its validity.

Good point. I forgot to mention commodity speculators could/would drive prices up.
    Yo ho yo ho, a pirate's life for me
    We pillage and plunder, we rifle and loot
    We kidnap and ravage and don't give a hoot

I already don't drive much. I'd like to join the local archery club but it would be too far at even $3 gas. I shoot and hunt a couple miles away.

But I can tell you that since $3 gas my business has been hurting. When my business is hurting that means other businesses are hurting.

The bad thing is that at least in my state they not only charge a tax on the gallon they charge a sales tax on the price. So they're raking it in and refuse to get off any of the tax, but they sure are finding ways to spend it so if the price comes down they will be whining about not enough money.

free fuel

I think I'm going to run as a Democrat and promise everyone universal fuelcare. I mean how am I expected to get to my universal heathcare doctor if I can't afford the fuel? FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE everything FREE. Tax the rich at 90% rate, they can afford it. I want mine FREE FREE FREE FREE, this is America, land of the FREE FREE FREE FREE.

It is what it is. Just simply adjust as required, get an extra job, etc.

Blame Wallstreet

Blame the wall street futures traders for this...every time the wind blows in the gulf or somebody shoots a gun in Isreal, they use it to justify bidding up futures. The oil companies DO NOT set prices - either for oil or for final products. All prices are set on the trading boards.

The government cannot do anything about it and the new tax will only hurt the oil companies.

Sure, some oil companies do benefit from the higher prices but only from exploration and drilling - not from refining.
    Steve C
    Chesterton, IN

Hoyt Carbon Spyder 34, QAD HD Rest. Carbon Express Maxima Reds, X-Busters, Spott Hogg Sight
    Through Christ, All Things Are Possible!:amen

Quote Originally Posted by srcarlso View Post
    Blame the wall street futures traders for this...every time the wind blows in the gulf or somebody shoots a gun in Isreal, they use it to justify bidding up futures. The oil companies DO NOT set prices - either for oil or for final products. All prices are set on the trading boards.

The government cannot do anything about it and the new tax will only hurt the oil companies.

Sure, some oil companies do benefit from the higher prices but only from exploration and drilling - not from refining.
    Ben Mizrach wrote a book called "Rigged" about this that I've been meaning to get, anybody read it?

It was over $4 in Santa Monica, CA last week

Quote Originally Posted by srcarlso View Post

This seems to be the truth...futures are very intresitng game and I do mean game.....Watch the news every time something in Iraqi get blow up or anyhting to do with the middle east, or when the Venezuelan guy shot off his mouth about cutting the USA off {his} oil...it went up almost a dollar....

more than likely it didn't cost them that mush to produce it ......but it's a big game....that's all it is.....
    Fair and Balanced with a splash of Sarcasm, and pinch of Reason

It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right.