a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 45

Thread: Best OTC unit in Colorado for elk?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    9,888

    Question Best OTC unit in Colorado for elk?

    What's everyone's opinion on THE BEST OTC unit for elk in Colorado?
    Take herd size and trophy bull size and hunting pressure into account with your answer.



    Just curious.... I know that I can always look up the stats, but the subjective part is what I'm after.


    -ZA
    BLACK WIDOW PSAII RECURVE - "DARK HEART" - 54# @ 28"
    BOWTECH CAPTAIN - 70# @ 29"

    GO CLEMSON TIGERS!!!
    ZA's UCR's (Utility Constrictor Ropes)


  2. #2
    Tired of coming home empty handed buddy?

    From what I have heard, there are many great OTC units in Colorado, but if I told you, I would have to guide you through hell's creation, so, I am not going to tell you.

    Unless we can work out a deal for some tree ladderage?

    Check you PMs friend!

  3. #3
    Ps. Are you just looking for the best OTC unit or are you looking for the best OTC unit that has public land to hunt...


    BIG DIFFERENCE!!!!

  4. #4
    There are a ton of good OTC units in CO. The harder you work preparing for the hunt and the hunt itself the more rewarding. That includes spending time researching units. There is a ton of info out there on this and other forums. Spend the time like most of us do, do some on the ground scouting and just go hunting.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    SE Ohio
    Posts
    5,917
    Quote Originally Posted by Campo View Post
    Ps. Are you just looking for the best OTC unit or are you looking for the best OTC unit that has public land to hunt...


    BIG DIFFERENCE!!!!
    I agree 110% on this.
    ~~Doug~~ N.O.A.H. PRO-Staffer
    2006 Hoyt Trykon XL 29"-70#'s / Alphamax 35 29" 60#
    Cabela's Carbon Stalker Extreme (MADE IN USA) tipped with ST Magnums
    Sword Apex Hunter / Sword Twilight Hunter with TT Micro-Adjust / Shaffer Tec Dropaway
    "What ever you say or do as a hunter reflects on all of us hunters, use good judgement!"

  6. #6
    Trust me, Za206 has spent more than his fair share of time scouting (or, what it hunting) various areas of Colorado.

    Ask him about the 330" bull that was quartering ever so slightly to him!

    Quote Originally Posted by crankbait View Post
    There are a ton of good OTC units in CO. The harder you work preparing for the hunt and the hunt itself the more rewarding. That includes spending time researching units. There is a ton of info out there on this and other forums. Spend the time like most of us do, do some on the ground scouting and just go hunting.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Big game hunters paradise
    Posts
    598
    I'm not sure I can really say one OTC unit is better than another. I've hunted a bunch of them all over this state and run into similar quality and elk #'s everywhere I've been.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Houston area
    Posts
    1,130

    Smile

    Good question...

    I can tell you that as far as 300+ class bulls, I'm not qualified to answer the question since I've never tagged one out yet (with a bow)...

    For raghorns... 53 and 54 are ok, but do not expect to see elk if you day hunt these areas... their are just too many dayhunters 2-3 miles fro any road. These are part of the West Elk Wilderness, you can't get to the elk (after opening day) on an ATV or a 4X4. In fact, the trails are so poorly maintianed and the terrain so steep, leave the mules and horses at home. You have to go in on foot and you have to go in deep and high. Do that and you'll have lots of raghorns to yourself... or maybee a nice fat cow if you're really good...

    521 is ok (North of Paonia) but they need to install traffic lights for the hundreds of ATV's plowing around back their...

    22 and 31 (Northwest of Rifle) are easier to hunt, but as such have alot of pressure and lots of vehicle traffic. More mulies than elk in that area, least their were before this winter...

    These are all OTC area's keep in mind...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    7,381
    Unit 80!
    To enter the woods in pursuit of a wild animal, brings my soul alive, It renews the energy within and brings a peace to my life.
    It puts things in perspective, it gives value to life, and perseverance through difficulties.
    It gives me an understanding of what makes me tick!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO
    Posts
    22,928
    I think there's more to it than just "stats".

    For trophy quality you need limited access. That means tough terrain that will make others turn around, distance, or enough private property to block those unwilling to negotiate the mosaic parcels or do the distance thing around the private land. There also seems to be "destination" areas in most units. There are those areas within a unit that look so good and fairly easy that everyone wants to go there. 99% of the folks will disregard the two hundred square miles they drive through to get to "the spot". Some of these bypassed areas are pretty danged good.

    They also need age. It doesn't matter if an August bowhunt for elk is tough. We don't kill that many bulls. What you need to consider is where the elk are during the later rifle hunts. If the elk are easily killed because of heavy snows every 2nd to 4th years during rifle season they'll never get old enough to be "big". They need refuge, and that often comes in the form of some low to mid-elevation private property that doesn't get hit as hard as the surrounding public.

    I don't think the unit matters as much as what you know about the unit you're in.
    The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    8,838
    Quote Originally Posted by a3dhunter View Post
    Unit 80!


    What he thought.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    9,888
    Quote Originally Posted by Campo View Post
    Ps. Are you just looking for the best OTC unit or are you looking for the best OTC unit that has public land to hunt...


    BIG DIFFERENCE!!!!
    Well.... best OTC unit with land that I can hunt FO FREE! Public land works, private lands works better if I get an invite!

    (I haven't gotten any PM's)

    -ZA
    BLACK WIDOW PSAII RECURVE - "DARK HEART" - 54# @ 28"
    BOWTECH CAPTAIN - 70# @ 29"

    GO CLEMSON TIGERS!!!
    ZA's UCR's (Utility Constrictor Ropes)

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Houston area
    Posts
    1,130

    Thumbs up I agree.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobmuley View Post
    I don't think the unit matters as much as what you know about the unit you're in.
    Good point... thanks for sharing the insight...

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    9,888

    Talking

    Looks like I need to find a "step & fetch" ..... errr.... a "scout"..... errr... a "buddy" to gimme the scoop on a few good areas!

    -ZA


    Quote Originally Posted by Bobmuley View Post
    I think there's more to it than just "stats".

    For trophy quality you need limited access. That means tough terrain that will make others turn around, distance, or enough private property to block those unwilling to negotiate the mosaic parcels or do the distance thing around the private land. There also seems to be "destination" areas in most units. There are those areas within a unit that look so good and fairly easy that everyone wants to go there. 99% of the folks will disregard the two hundred square miles they drive through to get to "the spot". Some of these bypassed areas are pretty danged good.

    They also need age. It doesn't matter if an August bowhunt for elk is tough. We don't kill that many bulls. What you need to consider is where the elk are during the later rifle hunts. If the elk are easily killed because of heavy snows every 2nd to 4th years during rifle season they'll never get old enough to be "big". They need refuge, and that often comes in the form of some low to mid-elevation private property that doesn't get hit as hard as the surrounding public.

    I don't think the unit matters as much as what you know about the unit you're in.
    BLACK WIDOW PSAII RECURVE - "DARK HEART" - 54# @ 28"
    BOWTECH CAPTAIN - 70# @ 29"

    GO CLEMSON TIGERS!!!
    ZA's UCR's (Utility Constrictor Ropes)

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Clinton County, Michigan
    Posts
    2,697
    Quote Originally Posted by ZA206 View Post
    Looks like I need to find a "step & fetch" ..... errr.... a "scout"..... errr... a "buddy" to gimme the scoop on a few good areas!

    -ZA
    Pick Campo... that way you can nap while he does all the legwork!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    7,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Illustrator View Post
    Pick Campo... that way you can nap while he does all the legwork!
    I wouldn't sleep anywhere near Campo........find a nice quiet place, that yankee never shuts up!



    Besides that, he might have a little animosity from a NR hunting with him last year!
    To enter the woods in pursuit of a wild animal, brings my soul alive, It renews the energy within and brings a peace to my life.
    It puts things in perspective, it gives value to life, and perseverance through difficulties.
    It gives me an understanding of what makes me tick!

  17. #17
    Animosity is an understatment!

    Quote Originally Posted by a3dhunter View Post
    I wouldn't sleep anywhere near Campo........find a nice quiet place, that yankee never shuts up!



    Besides that, he might have a little animosity from a NR hunting with him last year!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Colorado's Front Range
    Posts
    5,646
    Quote Originally Posted by ZA206 View Post
    Looks like I need to find a "step & fetch" ..... errr.... a "scout"..... errr... a "buddy" to gimme the scoop on a few good areas!

    -ZA

    I don't think you could find a better one. Bob makes my head spin with his knowledge of the animals all around where he lives and hunts. Even talking to him in generalities has made me much better at finding and calling in elk, and I have never hunted with him

    I think a sign of a truly committed guy is one that won't leave his house without his binoculars
    Targets are calling my name again! Back to pins (for now)!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    22,745
    Quote Originally Posted by TCR1 View Post
    I think a sign of a truly committed guy is one that won't leave his house without his binoculars
    I have a pair in my truck that stay there year round. My wife hates going anywhere with me because I might have to stop just about anywhere to do some glassing. That is unless it's been some time since her last potty break, then she loves the stops.

    There's an OTC area I have hunted many times and never thought there were any decent bulls there. Then one year I saw a 6x6 that some other guy had just shot. 325"+ easy. I was surprised as heck, as was he. I think Bob's got it right.....IF these bulls have a place to escape the rifle seasons, then you can get some decent bulls in some of these spots. Otherwise, OTC units in general are not going to yield many decent bulls. That's why I shoot the first legal one I can in an OTC unit, because it might be the only one I see. However, last year I found a decent bull back in a hole. I'm hoping that he survived the rifle seasons and the winter....and I'm going in after him. I might just have to camp back there with him for a week, but this year I'll be passing on everything except him until the last few days of the season. Unless I find that he's not there this year.

    Other than that...I hear Unit 80 is the best.
    2006 LH Bowtech Old Glory 70#, 32 1/2" draw, back to the Hostage rest, SH 7-pin Hunter, 500gr TR Crush 300 @ 285fps.
    2007 LH Bowtech Commander 60#, 32" draw, Limbdriver rest, BG 5-pin Flashpoint.
    2014 LH PSE Freak SP 70#, 32" draw, not set up yet.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO
    Posts
    22,928
    Quote Originally Posted by 5MilesBack View Post
    ... However, last year I found a decent bull back in a hole. I'm hoping that he survived the rifle seasons and the winter....and I'm going in after him. I might just have to camp back there with him for a week, but this year I'll be passing on everything except him until the last few days of the season. Unless I find that he's not there this year.

    Other than that...I hear Unit 80 is the best.
    There are good bulls in all units. Instead of finding a better unit to hunt, you learn to hunt your unit better.

    I thought binos in the truck was a state law?
    The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard

  21. #21
    I really like 28 there is some tuff country and lots of timber that is allowing some bulls to get into that 300" range year after year. there are 3 wilderness areas in the unit as well as a high % of public land. I was into elk every day last year and often had multiple bulls bugling at the same time. I also saw one bull that was 350+ This was my first time in the unit and I got my bull after 8 days I have hunted elk alot in my life and 28 compared positively with any OTC unit I have ever hunted. WA,ID,MT,OR,AK

    Its all subjective though I talked to some guys that did not have a good hunt for one reason or another.......

    I think Colorado is what you make of it, the entire state is good elk habitat so the elk can move around alot compared to other places I have hunted so locating them can be tricky. If they get bumped they just move on and never come back as they can find the same meadow a couple of miles away....The other thing about 28 is its a migration driven hunt so the elk seem to be in random places from day to day to day IMO.

    That's all I know about that.

    I forgot the pressure part....in 8 days I saw two other hunters and they were packing up to go home. Im sure there were other hunters but I never saw one or heard a bugle that didnt come from me or a bull.
    Last edited by Westside; February 28th, 2008 at 08:30 PM.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Lubbock, TX
    Posts
    1,579
    It is a rarity in the OTC unit that I hunt not to see at least 1 or 2 bulls in the 350"+ range and severall over 300". Of course this is public land and in a wilderness where we have only seen a handful of other hunters in close to 20 years of hunting there. We go in by horseback and have talked to many that were going to walk into the area or drainage we hunt, but we never do see them. Unfortunately I lost a 6x6 scoring between 320" & 330" this past year after clipping a willow brach at 32 yards. Not a lethal shot, just a poor shot. We hunt somewhere north of Pagosa Springs and south of Lake City. We saw a full 7x7 this year with matching kickers of both G 5's scoring around 350" and a 6x7 that was a better scorer than the 7x7.
    2009 HCA Speed Pro
    29" 70# 7 Pin Cobra Sidewinder sight, Ripcord Rest, Cobra Impact Gel stabilizer, Chappy Boss Caliper, Custom Sling, Gold Tip XT Hunter's @ 28" & 560 grains!, Custom Yellow/Black Winners' Choice strings/cables. Custom tune by www.probowtune.com

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    22,745
    Quote Originally Posted by mudslinger2 View Post
    We hunt somewhere north of Pagosa Springs and south of Lake City.
    Unit 76 is not OTC.

    Actually, IMO I'd be willing to bet that SW and southern CO have more 300" bulls in OTC units, than anywhere else in the state. There's just too much rough country in there for most hunters to make any impact. Lots of hiding places down there.
    2006 LH Bowtech Old Glory 70#, 32 1/2" draw, back to the Hostage rest, SH 7-pin Hunter, 500gr TR Crush 300 @ 285fps.
    2007 LH Bowtech Commander 60#, 32" draw, Limbdriver rest, BG 5-pin Flashpoint.
    2014 LH PSE Freak SP 70#, 32" draw, not set up yet.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    9,888
    Quote Originally Posted by 5MilesBack View Post
    Unit 76 is not OTC.

    Check that.... my last statement was made w/o my morning coffee.

    Actually, IMO I'd be willing to bet that SW and southern CO have more 300" bulls in OTC units, than anywhere else in the state. There's just too much rough country in there for most hunters to make any impact. Lots of hiding places down there.
    Maybe they hunt 77 & 78.... hmmm.


    -ZA
    Last edited by ZA206; February 29th, 2008 at 10:58 AM.
    BLACK WIDOW PSAII RECURVE - "DARK HEART" - 54# @ 28"
    BOWTECH CAPTAIN - 70# @ 29"

    GO CLEMSON TIGERS!!!
    ZA's UCR's (Utility Constrictor Ropes)

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Conifer, Co
    Posts
    281
    Sorry, 66 is a draw unit, not OTC.
    1) Elite Answer, VT Limb Driver, Armortech HD, Stokerized SS1
    2) Elite Pulse, VT Limb Driver, Sword Apex Micro 3rd Plane, Stokerized SS1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Need help finding a good productive OTC unit in CO for Elk!
    By DannyG in forum Bowhunting and Bowhunter Showcases
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: October 25th, 2010, 05:41 PM
  2. Back Pack OTC Elk Colorado
    By DocMort in forum Bowhunting and Bowhunter Showcases
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: March 16th, 2010, 01:11 PM
  3. OTC Colorado Elk in '09
    By garrickt in forum Bowhunting and Bowhunter Showcases
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: July 24th, 2008, 11:19 PM
  4. For those hunting COLORADO OTC ELK......
    By a3dhunter in forum Bowhunting and Bowhunter Showcases
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: July 12th, 2008, 02:00 PM
  5. What's the nastiest OTC elk unit?
    By Sneaky Apasum in forum Bowhunting and Bowhunter Showcases
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: July 30th, 2007, 08:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •