Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: NAA elects chairman of the board

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    1,249

    NAA elects chairman of the board

    The NAA has elected a chairman and he has a message



    -Andrew


  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by spangler View Post
    The NAA has elected a chairman and he has a message

    -Andrew
    Interesting quote with which to end a memo. I would have thought George Santayana would have been more appropriate.

    “You can never plan the future by the past.”
    – Edmund Burke

  3. #3
    For now, I shall reserve judgment....but I'm not encouraged.

    To endorse the practices and performance of the management team is...well...disapointing...
    Always Strive to do What is Right
    PM me if you'd like to own your own archery store in Huntsville, AL
    BEST Zenit Riser
    W&W Limbs
    REDHDCHARM string loop material

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    2,637
    As a complete newcomer to archery...
    Nothing personal against the man as I know nothing about him but, could someone explain how this qualifies him for this position?

    Dave

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Victoria, TX
    Posts
    1,108
    I am encouraged by the memo. Looks like they are going to run this as a business. How refreshing.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Hudson Valley NY
    Posts
    3,117
    Quote Originally Posted by TomB View Post
    I am encouraged by the memo. Looks like they are going to run this as a business. How refreshing.
    I am not!

    He states: “As a complete newcomer to archery” and, “As a team sport”.

    I always thought archery was an individual sport!
    Question the answers!..

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Seattle WA
    Posts
    156
    I liked the part about revue the By-Laws. I wonder which set they will review. The lagit ones or the new ones.
    The most basic element of intelligence is the ability to ask “Why” without a second thought.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Vestal, NY
    Posts
    241
    "The Board is focused on the future of the sport, not on past issues or conflicts, and we invite all of you to join us in this approach."

    Just like Mark McGuire's testimony in the steroid scandal. Let's not focus on the past, only the present. That way, no one can be held accountable for past actions and no lessons need to be learned. Let's just sweep our indescretions under the rug and move on. Nice.

    The Emperor does indeed have new clothes...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    465
    Hi, my name is Rick McKinney and yes, I have been around almost forever. I am an avid archer who has been blessed with this sport and since I love it so much I am very passionate about it, just like most of you. I have been reading these forums for some time and used to participate in them but found them to be difficult since sometimes it is hard to fight the unknowns. But now I have to speak up and hope that you will at least listen.

    The NAA or USArchery association has been in a horrible tailspin for over twelve years now and it appears that the USOC has taken steps to correct this. I know you all feel that it’s just another attempt to pacify the masses and put a different flavor to what is currently going on, but let’s see where this leads. I for one have been very pessimistic towards the association. And I have been sarcastic about the voting selection process and the way things have been handled in the past year. But of all the candidates that ran and those who were chosen I am pleasantly surprised. The membership did well to choose these people, which leads me to have a little more faith towards the future of this association. Most of these new board members are not on the board to improve their prestige nor to gain anything, since most of them have accomplished so much already. These are good dedicated passionate people who want to give back to the sport they love so much.

    Now some of you have voiced an opinion already and haven’t even given these folks a chance. I was elated to see that this new guy, Bill Corbin was chosen to lead this group. His experience in business organization and leadership is good for us. We need someone who is not so passionate about our sport to keep a level head. We need someone who can think out of the box to offer suggestions that has worked in other business/sports organizations. We do not need to change everything all at once. This board needs to sift through all of what has happened these past few years and then make some wise decisions or corrections that will help us get back on track. I have confidence in them to do so. Yes, keep a weary eye on them, but also give them breathing room so they can act rationally. We have had enough knee jerk reactions already. Give them constructive input and let's see where this all leads us. I am looking forward to the new journey.

    Please exuse this lengthy explanation.

    Respectfully,
    Rick

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    I.E. SoCal, YouEsAye
    Posts
    3,156
    Rick,
    I appreciate your input and what you have brought to archery. I think we all want the best. I'm not sure, how this will all turn out, but at the very least it will be interesting.
    P.I./ W&W4L/ Whatever... Pro Staff

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    2,637
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick McKinney View Post
    I was elated to see that this new guy, Bill Corbin was chosen to lead this group. His experience in business organization and leadership is good for us. We need someone who is not so passionate about our sport to keep a level head. We need someone who can think out of the box to offer suggestions that has worked in other business/sports organizations.
    Rick,

    Thanks for answering my question. Like I said my question wasn't personal because I knew nothing about Mr. Corbin. You gave a reason why he might be qualified for the position. That's what I was asking about.

    Hope you are right and this is an end to that tailspin you mentioned.

    Dave

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Seattle WA
    Posts
    156
    Rick

    Thanks for taking the time. I would love to see more of it. it is always good to hear from someone who really cares. One of your best moments was with your Thompson Medal

    I for one was not attacking the individuals. with the exception of one they appear to be OK. My problem is with the dishonest way all of this has come about. It is kind of like having a new car that was just stolen by your kids from the car lot. its very nice but it is still not yours.

    Big E
    The most basic element of intelligence is the ability to ask “Why” without a second thought.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    San Diego, California
    Posts
    967
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick McKinney View Post
    Now some of you have voiced an opinion already and haven’t even given these folks a chance. I was elated to see that this new guy, Bill Corbin was chosen to lead this group. His experience in business organization and leadership is good for us. We need someone who is not so passionate about our sport to keep a level head. We need someone who can think out of the box to offer suggestions that has worked in other business/sports organizations.
    ...
    give them breathing room so they can act rationally. We have had enough knee jerk reactions already. Give them constructive input and let's see where this all leads us. I am looking forward to the new journey.

    Please exuse this lengthy explanation.

    Respectfully,
    Rick
    Rick,
    thanks for putting that together; now that you've put it like that, I do see the value of giving them more of a chance. I was rather unhappy with how the election was run, but there may be something in letting the election be "forgiven, but not forgotten." I do hope that they will be introspective on how this situation came to be also.
    Since you seem to have more knowledge of Mr. Corbin than I, I'll take the word of the wise that he was well chosen for us.
    Thanks again for your input, I (as well as many others here, I believe) value it highly.
    -James

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick McKinney View Post
    Hi, my name is Rick McKinney and yes, I have been around almost forever. I am an avid archer who has been blessed with this sport and since I love it so much I am very passionate about it, just like most of you. I have been reading these forums for some time and used to participate in them but found them to be difficult since sometimes it is hard to fight the unknowns. But now I have to speak up and hope that you will at least listen.

    The NAA or USArchery association has been in a horrible tailspin for over twelve years now and it appears that the USOC has taken steps to correct this. I know you all feel that it’s just another attempt to pacify the masses and put a different flavor to what is currently going on, but let’s see where this leads. I for one have been very pessimistic towards the association. And I have been sarcastic about the voting selection process and the way things have been handled in the past year. But of all the candidates that ran and those who were chosen I am pleasantly surprised. The membership did well to choose these people, which leads me to have a little more faith towards the future of this association. Most of these new board members are not on the board to improve their prestige nor to gain anything, since most of them have accomplished so much already. These are good dedicated passionate people who want to give back to the sport they love so much.

    Now some of you have voiced an opinion already and haven’t even given these folks a chance. I was elated to see that this new guy, Bill Corbin was chosen to lead this group. His experience in business organization and leadership is good for us. We need someone who is not so passionate about our sport to keep a level head. We need someone who can think out of the box to offer suggestions that has worked in other business/sports organizations. We do not need to change everything all at once. This board needs to sift through all of what has happened these past few years and then make some wise decisions or corrections that will help us get back on track. I have confidence in them to do so. Yes, keep a weary eye on them, but also give them breathing room so they can act rationally. We have had enough knee jerk reactions already. Give them constructive input and let's see where this all leads us. I am looking forward to the new journey.

    Please exuse this lengthy explanation.

    Respectfully,
    Rick
    Thank You for posting that Rick. Your stature and longevity within the sport carry a lot of credit.
    While I so not think that anyone is against the new management it is the method of putting it in place which garners mistrust. A clean slate would have been terrific to start with but in this particular instance it does not exist.

    "The Board is focused on the future of the sport, not on past issues or conflicts, and we invite all of you to join us in this approach."
    This one phrase issued in an initial statement is a grave cause for alarm. There are more than a few "past issues" which need addressing before the future can be trusted to these individuals. A simple answering of some questions would go a very very long way to re establishing some trust.

    Guarded optimism is the order of the day, I think.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick McKinney View Post
    Hi, my name is Rick McKinney and yes, I have been around almost forever. I am an avid archer who has been blessed with this sport and since I love it so much I am very passionate about it, just like most of you. I have been reading these forums for some time and used to participate in them but found them to be difficult since sometimes it is hard to fight the unknowns. But now I have to speak up and hope that you will at least listen.



    Respectfully,
    Rick
    Rick, it's great to see you posting again! I hope you'll hang around...we've made some changes here on at since you were posting here last.

    Hope to see you in Louisville my friend!

    Chris Olsen
    Always Strive to do What is Right
    PM me if you'd like to own your own archery store in Huntsville, AL
    BEST Zenit Riser
    W&W Limbs
    REDHDCHARM string loop material

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    465
    Thanks folks for the kind comments. To answer a few of the concerns, just remember, the people who were voted in were not the ones who ran the election. They are just like you and me, members of the association who want to do what is right. A few of the people chosen were out of the mainstream of archery and we will see how that pans out. I do know that several of these new board members are good people that I personally have known for several years and trust them implicitly. I cannot speak for all of them, but most are good quality folks. I am sure they are just as skeptical and cautious as we are. They are walking into an unknown and only perceived situation. I am sure they will dig for the truth. Thus, let's see how it all works. I do feel bad for the non-archers who have no idea what they have walked into. They will learn fast that archers are passionate and VERY vocal!

    As far as the statement of forgetting the past and moving on. I think what he means is that let's don't dwell on it. Let's move forward and let the board clean up the mess in a systematic process that all will be pleased with down the road. Just remember there are 12 years worth of horrible mistakes made and it cannot be fixed in a one day meeting. I feel that these folks will review all issues, research why things have been done the way they were and work on good quality solutions to put into place for a long prosperous future.

    Let's hope for the best!
    Rick

  17. #17

    “Let's hope for the best!”

    “Let's hope for the best!” or better yet, help work towards it.
    The contribution of the archers themselves will be critical.
    In fact an athlete is required on each committee or task force.

    Bylaws Background:
    (Section 9.3. Number. Membership on standing committees shall not exceed five individuals. Membership on all other standing committees, other committees, task forces and subcommittees shall only exceed five individuals if necessary and appropriate and if approved by a majority of the Board of Directors.
    Section 9.4. Athlete Representation. All committees and task forces shall have at least twenty percent athlete representation so as to comply with the Sports Act and the USOC Bylaws.)

    Archers, ask yourself, what efforts can you contribute too or interests you?
    Let the USAA know of your willingness to serve.
    Serious Fun...
    Bob Pian, Judge, Coach, AZJOAD Events
    www.arizonacup.com - www.azarchery.com - www.azjoad.com

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    1,249
    I must have taken a wrong turn somewhere while looking for the Internet.

    Cooler heads prevailing...
    Common sense being wielded with wild abandon...
    Agreement....

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by spangler View Post
    I must have taken a wrong turn somewhere while looking for the Internet.

    Cooler heads prevailing...
    Common sense being wielded with wild abandon...
    Agreement....
    And even hope for the future?

    Good post!
    Always Strive to do What is Right
    PM me if you'd like to own your own archery store in Huntsville, AL
    BEST Zenit Riser
    W&W Limbs
    REDHDCHARM string loop material

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    1,859
    I hate to rain on the "love fest" but industry outsiders have, at best, a mixed result of effectively leading the businesses they've taken over. "Chainsaw Al Dunlap" at Sunbeam, did a fabulous job of destroying that company. More recently, Bob Nardelli left GE to usher Home Depot into a culture spiral that left Art Blank's company reeling. While I hope an outsider can do the job, I'm more than a little skeptical.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    1,249
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    Rick,

    Thanks for answering my question. Like I said my question wasn't personal because I knew nothing about Mr. Corbin. You gave a reason why he might be qualified for the position. That's what I was asking about.

    Dave
    A little google research shows that Mr. Corbin has been involved in the propane industry for a bit over 20 years.

    I am generally cautious about senior management who often seem more interested in putting out flavorless mission statements, getting companies salable, and seem to be able to only muster enough corporate vision to see just to the next quarterly report. I am not ascribing any of these traits to Mr. Corbin, as I don't know him personally.

    The biggest thing about a non-archer, business-oriented person leading the organization that concerns me is the concern that larger archery companies with lots of money will end up wielding most of the power and direction behind the scenes. I am concerned that the overly tight budget available will perhaps foster ties that are beneficial in the short term with rich, powerful companies but are not necessarily best for the sport. A non-archer without passion for the sport would consider the links made more from a financial aspect and see the extra funding as a "good thing". I point as an example of the power wielded to the recent NFAA arrow size debacle.

    I don't know that this is going to happen, I shoot equipment from the unnamed overly powerful companies and love it. I do believe that monopoly power and lack of diversification is a bad thing however.

    This isn't a post attempting to argue, or defame Mr. Corbin, or start controversy. It is simply the ramblings of someone who loves the sport and would love to see it grow.

    -Andrew

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    1,249
    Quote Originally Posted by midwayarcherywi View Post
    I hate to rain on the "love fest" but industry outsiders have, at best, a mixed result of effectively leading the businesses they've taken over. "Chainsaw Al Dunlap" at Sunbeam, did a fabulous job of destroying that company. More recently, Bob Nardelli left GE to usher Home Depot into a culture spiral that left Art Blank's company reeling. While I hope an outsider can do the job, I'm more than a little skeptical.
    I share your skepticism.

    I did do some google research (admitidly only an hour or so) of Mr. Corbin and his past performances within the propane industry. I did not find any negative reports of the build it, break it, dump it strategy that you are referring to. That doesn't mean that they don't exist, but I think that after 20 years in the industry if he had a reputation like that I would have run across it in some of the articles I read.

    -Andrew

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by spangler View Post
    A little google research shows that Mr. Corbin has been involved in the propane industry for a bit over 20 years.

    I am generally cautious about senior management who often seem more interested in putting out flavorless mission statements, getting companies salable, and seem to be able to only muster enough corporate vision to see just to the next quarterly report. I am not ascribing any of these traits to Mr. Corbin, as I don't know him personally.

    The biggest thing about a non-archer, business-oriented person leading the organization that concerns me is the concern that larger archery companies with lots of money will end up wielding most of the power and direction behind the scenes. I am concerned that the overly tight budget available will perhaps foster ties that are beneficial in the short term with rich, powerful companies but are not necessarily best for the sport. A non-archer without passion for the sport would consider the links made more from a financial aspect and see the extra funding as a "good thing". I point as an example of the power wielded to the recent NFAA arrow size debacle.

    I don't know that this is going to happen, I shoot equipment from the unnamed overly powerful companies and love it. I do believe that monopoly power and lack of diversification is a bad thing however.

    This isn't a post attempting to argue, or defame Mr. Corbin, or start controversy. It is simply the ramblings of someone who loves the sport and would love to see it grow.

    -Andrew
    Good points all. My personal take on the issue is that the first person who can bring money into the org from outside the immediate industry wins and wins big. A precedent needs to be set and direct influence by manufacturers diluted dramatically in order for the sport to grow in a healthy manner.

    Perhaps Mr. Corbin being an outsider so to speak can open up new avenues of financial independence for the NAA.

    Cautiously Optimistic

Similar Threads

  1. New Board of Directors for the NAA/USAA
    By archerNF in forum F.I.T.A, N.A.A., Collegiate Archery, And J.O.A.D.
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: January 28th, 2008, 08:46 PM
  2. NAA Board Election Update
    By RecordKeeper in forum F.I.T.A, N.A.A., Collegiate Archery, And J.O.A.D.
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: December 19th, 2007, 07:57 AM
  3. New NAA Board
    By Steven Cornell in forum F.I.T.A, N.A.A., Collegiate Archery, And J.O.A.D.
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: August 31st, 2007, 08:44 AM
  4. New NAA Board requirements listed
    By Archerone in forum F.I.T.A, N.A.A., Collegiate Archery, And J.O.A.D.
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: June 25th, 2007, 12:35 AM
  5. NAA Board of Directors Elections...
    By RecordKeeper in forum F.I.T.A, N.A.A., Collegiate Archery, And J.O.A.D.
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: June 11th, 2007, 03:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •