a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: arrow for 60 pound, 27 inch draw

arrow for 60 pound, 27 inch draw

I am trying to decide on an arrow for my ross cr331, not a fast bow by any means but smooth and quiet. I am considering the pse xweave 200 that should put me around 350 grains give or take. I am also considering the easton axis 400 that I am guessing would be 385 grains give or take. This is strictly a hunting setup, no 3D. I am torn between trying to get more speed out of this bow since I have a short draw and lower poundage or some extra weight to maximize penetration. My shots are thirty yards or less.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogto View Post
    I am trying to decide on an arrow for my ross cr331, not a fast bow by any means but smooth and quiet. I am considering the pse xweave 200 that should put me around 350 grains give or take. I am also considering the easton axis 400 that I am guessing would be 385 grains give or take. This is strictly a hunting setup, no 3D. I am torn between trying to get more speed out of this bow since I have a short draw and lower poundage or some extra weight to maximize penetration. My shots are thirty yards or less.
    Hey Bulldog, I also shoot a CR331. Great bow, huh? If you want to post the following info, I'll gladly run your setup through my OnTarget software for some suggestions and spine match.

1. Draw weight that you have set (are you at max 60 lbs?)
    2. Arrow Shaft length you prefer
    3. Broadhead weight (100, 125, etc.)
    4. Fletch type (4 inch vanes, Blazers, etc.)
    5. D-Loop? Yes or No

That should be enough for me to do a quick calculation!
    Last edited by ascmtn; March 7th, 2008 at 11:16 PM.

1. 60 pound limbs that max at 63
    2. 27 inch draw, 80% let off
    3. 27 inch shaft
    4. 100 grain heads
    5. 3 two inch blazer vanes
    6. D loop and G5 meta peep.....no string silencers

thanks for the help

1. 60 pound limbs that max at 63
    2. 27 inch draw, 80% let off
    3. 27 inch shaft
    4. 100 grain heads
    5. 3 two inch blazer vanes
    6. D loop and G5 meta peep.....no string silencers

thanks for the help
    Hey bulldog, I'll run your bow and arrows specs through the OnTarget software... I can say, with almost certainty, that Easton Axis 400 shafts are going to come back as somewhat overspined (too heavy and stiff), but that might be OK with you? In my opinion, you are far better off to be a bit overspined than underspined... at least that has been my experience.

It will help if I use 63 lbs as your draw weight, as opposed to 60... do you shoot it at 63?

I'll post screenshots and results in a bit... gotta go make waffles for my kids first!
    Last edited by ascmtn; March 8th, 2008 at 09:47 AM.

I hope to be at 63 pounds for next season. Depends on how rehab goes for my shoulder (surgery two weeks ago).

OK, the following is what I came up with. It was made a bit easier since all of the Ross CR331 info from my setup is already loaded!

Based on all of your specs and a 63# draw weight, your optimal spine is .4316

If I substituted a 60# draw weight, the system says optimal spine is .4482

I went ahead and used 63#, but you can see the difference above. As you can see below, the X Weave 200 is closer to your optimal spine, and the Axis 400s are obviously more stiff and heavy... I'll let people smarter than me chime in on their choice for you, as well as any other good choices that might fit your intended use!

Easton Axis ST Realtree 400:

PSE RadialX Predator 200:

I hope to be at 63 pounds for next season. Depends on how rehab goes for my shoulder (surgery two weeks ago).
    Dang. Good luck with your surgery. A friend of mine (and a bowhunter), had surgery on his draw shoulder last April, and he mad it back to shooting by deer season...

Certainly start out shooting 50 lbs. and work your way up. It won't matter that you will be overspined when you are rehabbing and practicing...

Just as an FYI, based on your bow and all of your other specs, if all I change is draw weight, your recommended spines are:

50#: .514
    55#: .479
    60#: .448
    63#: .432

The following are ballistics data for each of your above arrow choices:

FYI: I used the following free online program for this, and simply plugged in the shaft diameters, Blazer info, and the speed and weight info from the tables above.

http://home.att.net/~sajackson/ballistics.html

Easton Axis ST Realtree 400:

PSE RadialX Predator 200:

I shoot a Ross Cardiac (I got it recently) @ 56-57#/27" and have been shooting GT 5575s with Blazers and 100gn tips. A little stiff according to OT2 but my BHs hit where my FTs hit. Not sure what the speed is exactly--think it's around 260-270fps (chrono'd it a while back but can't remember the exact number).
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government..

Thanks for all of the info. I am leaning towards the xweave 200's, but I will probably get a few of each to try once I start shooting again. 400 plus grains just seems a little heavy for me at 60 pounds. That is the weight I shot at 70 pounds
    Last edited by bulldogto; March 8th, 2008 at 11:09 AM.

arrows

I Have Been Shooting 60# And I'm 27.5 Draw.i Have Been Shooting Axis 500's.they Shoot Great.i Took 4 Elk Now And All Have Been Pass Threws.i Would Go With A Easton Axis 500.

I shoot a hoyt vipertec with a 60lb draw weight with 27 in length using axis st 400 arrows... I really like them and seem to do fine with them. I am goin to switch to maximas this year just to try something different.
    HOYT MAXXIS 31 28/70
    Sword Twilight Hunter
    CE Maxima 350s w/ Slick Trick Mags
    Tight Spot
    60X Custom Strings

60# Razortec
    27 in draw
    26 in axis 500 with a 100 gr tip for hunting = 340 grains
    26 in 55/75 Gold Tip with 85 gr tip for 3D = 325 grains

Not a fast set up but very smooth and quiet. Good luck with your shoulder. Had mine repaired a few years back. My advice, make sure you do the therapy religiously.

I would go with the AXIS 500's, my dad shoots 60# and 28" and they shoot fine for him, the 400's would also be fine, but they would be slower, depends on if you want speed or not.
    '13 Hoyt Carbon Matrix G3 29"/80# 518 gr. VAP250's @ 280 FPS

Prestige Worldwide Pro-Staff

Thanks for all of the info. I am leaning towards the xweave 200's, but I will probably get a few of each to try once I start shooting again. 400 plus grains just seems a little heavy for me at 60 pounds. That is the weight I shot at 70 pounds
    Yes, as OnTarget showed, the XWeave 200's seem to be a great match for your recommended spine, given all of the setup info you provided. They will be stiff while you are shooting at lower poundages rehabbing your shoulder, but they are near perfect at 60-63 lbs. draw weight. Personally, I like to see the spine slightly on the stiff side, which the XWeave 200s are... my expereince has been that a lot less bad things happen, accuracy wise when you are slightly stiff spined, rather than weak spined.

Carbon Express maximas

Im shooting the carbon force maxima 250's with 100 grain heads. My switchback xt is a 60lb max and it is maxed. The total arrow weight is right around 350 with 2" blazers. My chrono puts them at an average of 267fps. I had 35/55 goldtip pros but they are not as stiff and actually shot about 8-10 fps slower. They weigh about the same. I had no problem putting them through deer and 5 inches into the dirt at 25 yards.
    Mathews Switchback xt
    28.5 inch carbon express maximas 250
    spott hogg 5 pin hunter hogg it
    Nap smart rest
    rocket steelheads
    60 lb draw at 267fps

FYI: This is my setup, Arrow, and Ballistic data:

Ross CR331 / 70# / 29" Draw / Easton ST Axis Mossy Oak Obsession 300's cut "long" at 30" / 510 grain finished arrows:

As you can see, my 510 grain arrows pack some serious KE and Momentum. Even at 50 yards, they still have 70 KE. I'm just not as flat shooting, so I have to be on my range estimation (or rangefinder):

Don't OVERLOOK the Victory V-Force arrows. Stiff and light. A good set-up and those arrows will give you great speeds plus super tough strength. Check 'em out!
    huntingbrotherhood Pro-Staff
    Shoot me a PM for FREE Stuff! "THAT'S HOW I ROLL"
    SCP4L