Thread: Bowtech 101st Airborne - Evaluation

Bowtech 101st Airborne - Evaluation

I am switching to this bow from a #70/30.5" DL 2007 Tribute with smooth mods at 80% let-off (crackerized). So keep in mind that's what I have to compare it to.

The new bow is a #60/31" DL 2008 101st Airborne with the only mods anyone should be using right now, the fast mods. The bow is crackerized with only the factory string suppressor and setup at 80% let-off. It was setup with two originally, but I just couldn't stand having the lower STS getting hung up on my shirts and distracting me. The reason I went with the 31" dl is because it's my true dl and it allows me to anchor with my index knuckle behind my earlobe, something I couldn't do at 30.5" without bending my arm more than I would like.

So enough with the lead up. This bow is a feat of engineering. And here's why:

First off, it is fast. It shot at 306 gr. arrow 343 fps and my 422 gr. hunting arrow 294 fps. That is 3 fps faster than my #70 Tribute with the same arrow! And I am making 81 lbs. of KE with a #60 bow.

The bow has basically zero hand shock. I mean, it has less than the Tribute with smooth mods and that was impressive. Dead in hand.

The bow seems to hold more steady than the Tribute. However, that may have something to do with having the ability to have a solid anchor point now. I don't know for sure.

The draw on the bow is very different than the Tribute with smooth mods. It pulls much easier (as you would expect with #10 less dw) until you reach the breakover point right before the valley. At this point it gets somewhat tougher. A better comparison would be to the Tribute with fast mods (which I had on at one point). In this case I would say the draw is basically the same if you were to drop the Tribute to #60. It may seem like you were pulling 2-3 more lbs. at that breakover point, but no where near the 7-10 lbs. that I have heard some people say. I think these people must not be used to Bowtech's in general with fast mods, which is definitely a different feel coming from most single cam bows. So enough of that.

The bow was easy to tune with a Whisker Biscuit. I was shooting bullet holes very quickly and I could shoot them consistently from 6 ft. to 20 yards.

As soon as I got dialed in I was pounding spots in no time. Back a 50-60 yards I was shooting the same groups as I did with my Tribute on the first three shots. (about 4-5" circle on average) It seems to be a little more forgiving then the Tribute on the errand shots at 60 yards. These shots I might miss the spot by 5 or 6 inches in any direction worst case scenario. Accuracy and forgivingness was my main concerns when going with the slightly shorter BH (5/8" difference). But I am guessing the 5" or so longer ATA length helps alot with accuracy for me. To summarize: tack driver!

Some technical things I really like about the bow are the new InVelvet finish, which really seems to protect the bow better and it looks amazing. Also, the sight holes are for once in the correct location. With my Tribute I had to adjust my Spot Hogg sight all the way down and I still had my 20 yard pin in the middle of my sight. Now I can have the 20 yard pin easily at the top and have room for longer distance pins.

The only place where the bow didn't perform as well as my Tribute was with regard to noise. The bow is by no means loud. But smooth mods really quiet down a bow. The bow sounds just like my Tribute did when it had fast mods. The noise is a thump that seems perfectly acceptable to me. As a matter of fact, my best friend with a #70 Tribute (w/ fast mods) was standing next to me when I first shot the bow. His first reaction was: man, that was quiet. So I am guessing it's louder to the shooter than whatever is within earshot. It was somewhat quieter with the 2nd STS but it wasn't worth the hassle of my clothes getting caught on it.

So wow, that was alot of rambling. I tried my best to cover everything so that if someone was unsure of what to expect they would get a comprehensive answer. Let me know if you have any questions...

I attached a picture below. The string and cables color should match the new Octane Quiver perfectly. Hopefully this was helpful to someone.

For the record here is my exact arrow:

29" Gold Tip 55/75 Pro Hunters (100 grain tips, 20 grain weight screw in the insert, and 27 grain nock) 422 total weight.

Last edited by slim9300; March 8th, 2008 at 07:53 PM.
    Work hard. Be happy. Annoy a Liberal.
    2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)
    University of Washington; Foster School of Business Alum

Thanks for the info

I was really interested in the comments regarding the 101st. I have pretty much narrowed my next bow to one of two bows the 101st being one of them.

I haven't had a chance to shoot this bow as our local shop is waiting on their order from Bowtech. One question I'd like an answer to. When at full draw is there any valley to speak of? Some bows I've tried had zero valley or nearly so. If an amount almost equal to the draw force was not used during full draw the cam(s) would begain rolling (string going forward). I realize that's the nature of the speed cams/bows but some I recently shot were not for me. I'm hoping the 101st will be a little more to my liking.

Maybe its just me but bows like this makes holding on target for any time poor at best.

Thanks an good luck with your new bow.

Smile tough drawing

the only complaint i have with the new bowtechs is yes there fast at lower lbs but they,re so hard to draw you can almost draw a 70 one cam as easy as 60 lbs in the bowtech other than that they seem fine.

Quote Originally Posted by RDH View Post
    I was really interested in the comments regarding the 101st. I have pretty much narrowed my next bow to one of two bows the 101st being one of them.

I haven't had a chance to shoot this bow as our local shop is waiting on their order from Bowtech. One question I'd like an answer to. When at full draw is there any valley to speak of? Some bows I've tried had zero valley or nearly so. If an amount almost equal to the draw force was not used during full draw the cam(s) would begain rolling (string going forward). I realize that's the nature of the speed cams/bows but some I recently shot were not for me. I'm hoping the 101st will be a little more to my liking.

Maybe its just me but bows like this makes holding on target for any time poor at best.

Best valley of any bow out there in my opinion. It truly seems to almost lock back, it's actually pretty changeling to let an arrow down. The draw stop post is something I couldn't live without also. Make sure it's set at 80% and everything is to spec and you will be very happy.
    2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)

Thanks for the informative evaluation. The 101st looks like a great bow!
    ArcheryTalk is a Gun Free Zone. Check out www.GunTalkWorld.com for gun related items.
    Sending payment via PayPal Gift option? Bad idea

Thanks for the feedback. Tired of waiting so am traveling tomorrow to another dealer that has a good supply of Bowtechs. A good chance I won't be alone on my return trip.

A good chance I won't be alone on my return trip.
    That's what got me into archery...went to "take a look" came home with a BowTech.

Well I came home from a two hundred mile round trip by myself. That's not because I didn't like what I saw/shot rather because the dealer didn't have the rest I want along with a few more items. Word has it I should be able to pick my bow up in about a week.

Shooting the 101st was everything I had hoped for. Plenty of speed an much smoother than I had imanged for a speed bow. Slim9300 has it right (thanks) regarding the valley.

I'll admit to some apprehension going to a bow manufacture I've had zero experience with, a hoyt fan for many years, an still. With so many positive comments regarding this bow and how well I liked the way it shoots, I feel confident I made a good decision.

Looking forward to spending a lot of time with this bow.

I'll be in touch....

Bob

My take on my new 101st

I shot and deciphered numerous bows before making my painstaking decision on going with the BT 101ST.

In regards to drawing the cam over to the valley, it's all relative to what one is capable of pulling. The standard rule applies to any shooter & bow. Sit on the ground, back errect, legs in a VEE, draw the bow straight back without any bit of movement or contorting. Simply pull the bow straight back. If you can not do that straight back smooth, the bow is too much weight for you. It's pretty simple.

My 101st is at 72 Lbs 27.5" DL. It draws fine for me, and has one of if not the best holding characteristics of any bow I have ever shot in 30+ years. The valley is awesome too for my liking anyways.

Bowtechs QC, fit and finish, overall feel and speed are hard to beat these days in the overall picture of todays many great bows.

I ordered mine in Mossy Oak Brush. I gotta tell ya, the In-Velvet soft camo almost rubber like feel and quality of the Camo itself is unreal. I was going to order an accessory 1 piece grip, rather than the standard side plate grip, but after having that in hand now, I changed my mind for my overall grip/feel and sense of warmth the InVelvet gives.

I am lovin that Bow(tech) 101st

I will post speeds soon as I complete more testing/setup--Hunting set up--
    27"- 425 total Grn 340 AXIS Nano's tipped with a Steel Force 125 Phat head @ 72#'s. 13.5% FOC--Oh is that going to leave a mark!

By the way, a little push for AT member onestringer, who makes some awesome custom as you like em wraps--He made me some 6" x.95 W--
    MO Brush flame into white wraps for my Nano Axis that are awesome!!
    Time spent in stand is like heaven on earth

a-h said:
    "In regards to drawing the cam over to the valley, it's all relative to what one is capable of pulling."

Quite the contrary, the cam design has the paramount ingredient with regard to smoothness of the draw cycle. The poundage relates to the difficulty of draw. If too much poundage is used the cam operation (bump) is more noticable but this operation is still evident even at lower draw weights.

Also, you might consider that all bows aren't built with the same geometric cam design. Given the same draw weights different bows will display different valleys. To go a step further, some bows have adjustable valleys (a good thing). By understanding this and since at the time I hadn't shot this bow, you'll see why the concern with the valley characteristic of the 101st. As slim9300 correctly stated, this bow has a very desirable valley to him and I now agree (again, a good thing).

Your description used to verify proper (not excessive) draw weight is basically correct and described in many archery related publications.

Thanks for your comments and good luck with your new bow.

ttt

slm9300, just wanted to let you know I finally got my 101st. Picked it up a couple of days ago and have only a couple of opportunities to shoot it. Like you said, this is one great bow. Of course, I can only compare it to much older equipment. Not that my '01 ultratec is a slouch it's just not '08 technology. The speed cam is taking some getting use to but after only under a hundred shots, I'm becoming more comfortable with it. After another few hundred shots, I'll report back. Thanks again for your informative posts.

slm9300, just wanted to let you know I finally got my 101st. Picked it up a couple of days ago and have only a couple of opportunities to shoot it. Like you said, this is one great bow. Of course, I can only compare it to much older equipment. Not that my '01 ultratec is a slouch it's just not '08 technology. The speed cam is taking some getting use to but after only under a hundred shots, I'm becoming more comfortable with it. After another few hundred shots, I'll report back. Thanks again for your informative posts.
    How quiet is the 101st? I really like all the specs and the looks of the 101st but it was just to noisy to hunt with. Was it just that bow or is yours noisy too? Can it be silenced somehow?

I can only relate to you my very short time with this bow. The noise comes from the string stop which seems to have become less the more shooting I do. My understanding is going to the STS will futhur reduce this noise. slim9300 would be a better sourse for info on this bow as he has a lot nmore time with it.

I just took another look at slim9300 first post. He does talk about the noise he experienced and the STS did make for less noise. Like him, I find to noise acceptable.

Hi, just wanted to say my 101 Airborne is dead quiet, I was really amazed as to how quiet it is, all you hear is the arrow hitting the target. It paper tuned in only 4 shots and is extremely fast. This bow is really awesome.

Whereabouts are you guys finding your centershot to be? When I center my rest up that thing shoots so far left. My pins usually line up with the string and arrow shaft when viewed from behind. Now, my pins are way to the left and the arrow when nocked and viewed from above is pointing to the right. Any suggestions?

center shot should be approx. 11/16... mine was originally set up at about 15/16 and i had good groups my i hit way to the left... and i didn't have anymore left adjustment on my sight... moved it in to 11/16 and shoot greaat

cornfield, if your sight pins are left of arrow/string alignment this is not an error. Take a look at where your cams are with regard to "normal" centershot. Start by paper tuning which will get you close. Follow up with tweaking your rest and nock point as needed. I checked the basic alignment an found very little was needed. The proof is perfect arrow flight and grouping.

Thx, Slim, good review on your 101st.
    I've got mine set up at 60# and 31.5" DL = 292fps and 82 KE. That's with 435gr arrows at 30" long. Are you sure you should be shooting a 340 spine with your DL, Slim? How long are your arrows?

Took my 101st on a 3D shoot 4 the first time this past weekend - GREAT!
    Now if only I can stop those nasty little jerky shakes I get like I'm an alchoholic or old man or something .... I tell ya, one little jerky movement when firing at that speed and it hits way off target. But I'll get there!
    Bowtech 101st Airborne @ 68# & 31.5"
    +
    Easton 300 @ 30.25" & 440gr
    = 300fps

If at 1st you don't succeed, you're doing about average. If at 1st you DO succeed, don't give away your game by acting too surprised!

Quote Originally Posted by fucius View Post
    Thx, Slim, good review on your 101st.
    I've got mine set up at 60# and 31.5" DL = 292fps and 82 KE. That's with 435gr arrows at 30" long. Are you sure you should be shooting a 340 spine with your DL, Slim? How long are your arrows?

Took my 101st on a 3D shoot 4 the first time this past weekend - GREAT!
    Now if only I can stop those nasty little jerky shakes I get like I'm an alchoholic or old man or something .... I tell ya, one little jerky movement when firing at that speed and it hits way off target. But I'll get there!
    My arrow is only 29" since my Whisker Biscuit acts as an overdraw. Trust me the arrow is right, Crackers shot my bow through the Hooter Shooter to get it right. Binary Cam bows are notorious for liking less spine, contrary to popular belief.

Quote Originally Posted by slim9300 View Post
    My arrow is only 29" since my Whisker Biscuit acts as an overdraw. Trust me the arrow is right, Crackers shot my bow through the Hooter Shooter to get it right. Binary Cam bows are notorious for liking less spine, contrary to popular belief.
    Cool. As long as she shoots straight and you're happy
    Bowtech 101st Airborne @ 68# & 31.5"
    +
    Easton 300 @ 30.25" & 440gr
    = 300fps

If at 1st you don't succeed, you're doing about average. If at 1st you DO succeed, don't give away your game by acting too surprised!

Bowtech 101st Airbourne

I just bought a 2008 Hoyt Vectrix Plus 28-1/2" /70# and love it, I also went to check out the 2008 Bowtech 101st Airbourne 28-1/2" /70# just for the heck of it and bought that too. The 101st is so fast and so smooth. After getting it dialed in I am shooting it at 30 yards with groups the size of a tuna can. Anybody who checks this bow out will be impressed. It is a straight shooter. This is the best bow I have shot thus far.

101st

I was looking for a new bow this year and sold my Hoyt Trykon. I shot the 101st, general, DXT, and Marquis. The 101st is fast. The draw is a little tough and the bow made a loud thud after the shot. General was slow compared to the 101st. It was very smooth to draw and quiet. The DXT was fast. It was smooth to draw, but had a vibration at the end of the shot. The Marquis was only 10 fps slower than the 101st. If was smooth to draw, and dead in the hand. I bought the marquis.

I would have bought the 101st, if it did not have the thud.

ttt

shot my bow next to a dxt,drenand a apex7 every body asked what i was shooting quieter then the others

101st

I replaced my stock string stop with a bowjax string stop and it reduced the noise considerably. I came off of a 1 cam and to be honest, I don't think I'll be going back. It's fast, accurate, and dead in my hand. I think it will make up in speed what little damage the noise will do.