a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Drenalin....28.5" cam bow pulling 29"??

Drenalin....28.5" cam bow pulling 29"??

My Drenalin is a 28.5 inch cam which is what I want, but I measured the draw length and it is running 7/16" to 1/2" over(29"). My ATA is about a 1/4" over spec.....brace height id dead on at 7"....70 pound limbs pulling about 71 pounds. What can I do to get the draw length back to 28.5"??

Arrow Mathews run long

I am no expert on bows or bow tuning, but I have always been told that mathews run about a half inch long on the draw length. I don't know if the best thing to do would be to order a cam that is one half inch shorter than your actual measured draw length, (or just put a twist in your cable). Any experienced archery shop should be able to help you out with your problem.
    G5 PRIME CENTROID

Drenalin

My experience with with the Original Denalin is the draw is a little longer than stated.. I've always shot a 29" on other Mathews but the drenalin I went to a 28.5"..
    Just my 2 cents..
    Mathews Apex 7 / Helium
    Trophy Taker rest, Rip Cord Code Red rest
    Sword Sights
    TRU Ball release
    Bucknasty Custom Strings

What does the timing holes on the cam look like......If you twist the cable up it will make the draw even longer............Cheese

Here is link to the cam rotation. Set with the bow maxed out..

http://forums.mathewsinc.com/viewtopic.php?t=40837
    Mathews Apex 7 / Helium
    Trophy Taker rest, Rip Cord Code Red rest
    Sword Sights
    TRU Ball release
    Bucknasty Custom Strings

One thing I have not checked is the timing holes, I will do that today. The more research I do it seems Mathews run long on the draw length....Why do they do this? If I buy a 28.5" bow, I should get a 28.5" bow(within a close tolerance).

The reason Bow manufacturers understate the draw length is to gain IBO rating speed. I found that myself with some bow manufacturers. You just encountered "SPEED HYPE". Welcome to the world of "how fast can we print in our magazines ads".

Preacher Guest
    If you are wanting a 28 1/2" draw, or just a little under, you will need to get a 28" Cam. The Cams run long, it's just the nature of the beast and it has nothing to do with IBO Speed hype. When a Bow is tested for a IBO Speed rating, it has to be set at exactly 30" and 70lb and shooting a 350 gr arrow.

I believe there is a "tolerence" in the amo standard of somewhere around 1/2+ for draw length. If you say your bow is 28", it can actually be somewhere around 28 1/2, just the way it is my friend. Draw length from comapny to company is quite different----------------cheese

Quote Originally Posted by Buckhorn70 View Post
    My Drenalin is a 28.5 inch cam which is what I want, but I measured the draw length and it is running 7/16" to 1/2" over(29"). My ATA is about a 1/4" over spec.....brace height id dead on at 7"....70 pound limbs pulling about 71 pounds. What can I do to get the draw length back to 28.5"??

1/4" over ATA on a Drenalin seems a little out of whack.
    Bear Agenda 6
    PSE DNA

I have often wondered what percentage of archers are shooting a bow that does not exactly fit them in draw length, which I regard as a very important. I like everything about Mathews except the lack of DL adjustment. That very thing pushed me towards a Ross on my last purchase several months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by storyteller_usa View Post
    Here is link to the cam rotation. Set with the bow maxed out..

http://forums.mathewsinc.com/viewtopic.php?t=40837
    This is fine as long as you don't let the poundage DOWN very much.

When you DECREASE poundage, the drawlength will INCREASE about 1/8" for each 1/4 turn off the limb bolts!

It has been my experience for years that Mathews runs about 1/2" long on the stated DL of their cams when in proper positioning of said cam.

Of course, then it also depends upon how HARD or soft you come into the "stops" too...if you come in even harder, then the DL becomes even more of a too long issue.

Be aware that decreasing poundage INCREASES DL as stated above.

If you twist UP the cable...you also increase drawlength and will also have to re-set your nocking point. If you twist up the string, you can decrease ATA, decrease DL...but if you don't do equal twists on each end of the string...you will foul up the peep rotation AND potentiall the nocking point as well.

field14
    Just let it float and SHOOT THE SHOT! Author of: "ProActive Archery", "The Puzzled Archer", "The Puzzled Cyclist".
    -field14 (Tom D.)

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    If you are wanting a 28 1/2" draw, or just a little under, you will need to get a 28" Cam. The Cams run long, it's just the nature of the beast and it has nothing to do with IBO Speed hype. When a Bow is tested for a IBO Speed rating, it has to be set at exactly 30" and 70lb and shooting a 350 gr arrow.
    It absolutley has to do with speed hype. Take the mathews 29.5" out of the box. Measure it and it will be 30". Now set it a IBO lbs and arrow weight shoot it. ALAS you don't get the speed they advertise. WHy do you think that is? It's because they are competeing with the speeds the likes of the new PSE and Hoyt's, Bow tech etc. EVeryone knows the mathews draw lengths and speeds don't add up. Is it accident, Is it just one bow? I DOUBT it. We in the archery world are not all that gulable.

Quote Originally Posted by eyedoc View Post
    1/4" over ATA on a Drenalin seems a little out of whack.
    I have re-measured the ATA and it is at 33" which is dead on. The cam could probably be rotated an 1/8" counter clockwise(looking at the cam from the shelf side of the bow) I do not know how much difference this would make in draw length. From all the research I have done it appears I am going to have to get another cam....I personally think this is BS! If Mathews knows thier cams have historically run long ...Why don't they fix the problem? I love the bow....I just want the draw length I need.

What kind of strings do you have?
    I would not be suprised if your stock strings on your mathews
    stretched that much. From my expirence mathews stock strings are not the best
    quality.

Quote Originally Posted by bowhuntermitch View Post
    quality.

They are stock strings and have about two hundred shots thru them now. If they stretch...wouldn't that knock the other specs(ATA, BH and LBS) off ?
    Last edited by Buckhorn70; March 15th, 2008 at 07:44 PM.

I put two twist in the string a both ends and this got the alignment holes in pretty good shape. It reduced my draw length 1/8"...extended my ATA 1/16"...BH stayed at 7"....poundage stayed at 71 lbs. This put the DL at 28 7/8".

sent you a pm.......Cheese

Quote Originally Posted by bowhuntermitch View Post
    quality.
    I have had nothing but good luck with the strings on all my bows. Never had any peep rotation or stretch on any of my strings.
    Mathews Z7 29" 65 pounds QAD HD Pro, Spot Hogg Hog it, G5 Meta Peep, Posten stabilizer, Easton Axis.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtommy View Post
    I have had nothing but good luck with the strings on all my bows. Never had any peep rotation or stretch on any of my strings.
    Huh. I must have had a bad batch on my bow and my buddies bow.
    We both bought our bows at the same time so that would make sense.