a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: food plots for indiana

food plots for indiana

i live in indiana and was wanting to put a food plot in but wasnt to sure about what seeds to plant.

any sugjestions

anything that will still taste good to a deer after a frost will work very well.Alfalfa and clover are hard to beat because they still have flavor after the corn and beans are long gone
    2015 Mathews Z2 29.5/70

Clover most of the year and then oats around the last of August. No need for Buck Forage Oats - just plain old feed oats germinate well enough and are a LOT cheaper.

Alfalfa and oats....Depending on where you are putting the plot....you may be able to just mow down the grass down and have alfalfa grow That is what i have done with several of my little plots.

clover is good, oats are good...

depends on size..if you want it to be annual or perrenial, surrounding browse...

short list IMO is in this order,

1. Whitetail Clover
    2. Soybeans
    3. Oats
    4. Corn

In Illinois we have good luck with a fall planting of oats or winter wheat and brassicas. If you plant in the early fall you don't have near the weed competition. Last year we planted Brassicas on August 22 and winter wheat on Sept.12. We sprayed roundup once earlier in the fall and disked and planted a week to two weeks after. Not a weed to be seen. This year we will hopefully be putting in fewer spring plots and more fall plots. Although, we also have corn and beans on the farm and several clover and chicory plots that are perinnials.
    In a world where you can be anything...be yourself.

You can agree with me...or you can be wrong!

Life is GOOD!

If you have corn or soybeans planed in feilds near you area don't bother trying to plant a small plot of them you cant compeat with 100 acres of farm fresh crops!!!

I always plant things they can't get in the area like alfalfa ,clover ,chicory is great ,and deer will swarm brasicas after the first frost of mid oct !!!
    I deer hunt what do you do ?

I too am in Indiana and would like to put out some plots. Is it too late now to put out any food plots that will be noticeable and useable next fall? Where does one go about getting oats or clover to plant. Do most of you guys deal with the local Co-Op or feedstore? I dont really know where to start but I know the more people you talk to, the more the topic of food plots comes up! Thanks for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by valleyhunter View Post
    I too am in Indiana and would like to put out some plots. Is it too late now to put out any food plots that will be noticeable and useable next fall? Where does one go about getting oats or clover to plant. Do most of you guys deal with the local Co-Op or feedstore? I dont really know where to start but I know the more people you talk to, the more the topic of food plots comes up! Thanks for any help.

its still to early to plant really...though its getting close for clover.

where you get it depends on what you want to use, if you just want an ag clover, you can go to the co-op, but the clover they are going to have is going to be cattle clover, more stem than leaf, not as palletable for deer.

www.whitetailinstitute.com thats good deer clover, and you can order online, but its going to be more expensive.

Make sure you get a soil sample done no matter what you plant.

Oats, you are going to wait and plant sometime in august.

If you go with a co-op clover, you are going to have to mow it more often to get new leafy growth that will attract deer.

For year around plots clover, alfalfa, and chicory are the most common and good choices. For late season hunting turnips and brassica are great and if you want a good plot to hunt over in like october plant rye, oats or wheat early in the fall like early september.
    Mathews Switchback
    Easton Superlite xx75's
    Muzzy's 125
    Trophy Ridge Sights
    Mathews Micro rest

We usually plant ours right around turkey season in S. Indiana. Clover works well with little management other than some spraying or mowing.

We cant keep the deer off the brassicas either. plant those both spring and fall.

alot of people like BFO's, WW, beans, corn, etc.

It all matters on what your deer like and where you are in relation to surrounding ag fields.

Use good seed and you wont be dissappointed. Pennington has some pretty good clovers out there specifically for whitetails. durana and patriot.

MORE IMPORTANTLY, DO A SOIL TEST AND FOLLOW THOSE RECCOMENDATIONS BEFORE ANYTHING!

Its like the field of dreams.....if you plant it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by valleyhunter View Post
    If you plant clover this spring...you should get a soil sample NOW and get it sent in...these soil samples take awhile by the time you get them sent in and they send you the results. Let them know what you plan to plant ie. clover,chicory,brassicas (the results can be e-mailed so this saves some time.)Then I would spray your area with Roundup once or twice before planting this spring. Then add any lime and fertilizers recomended by the soil sample and disk them into the soil before planting. We buy Whitetail Clover from any Cabelas or Gander Mnt. alot of Co-op dealers even carry the Whitetail name brand (more expensive than other clovers they have, you have to decide if it is worth the extra). Clovers and chicory are perinials so you maintain the plot after it's established (this is why it's best to do a soil sample before hand because if you manage these plots they will come back year after year). If you plant this spring you will have alot of weeds even if you spray before you start, the clover probably won't look to good this whole year, just spray herbicides a few times for broadleaf or grass make sure the herbicide is compatable with what you have planted. Annuals like oats, wheat and brassicas are best planted in the fall, so you have more time. With oats you can buy Buck Forage oats or regular oats from your local dealer. I think Fall plantings work better because there is less weed competition. If you are looking to plant something just for hunting season then maybe go with annuals like brassicas, oats or winter wheat. Spray Roundup before you start in early fall.
    In a world where you can be anything...be yourself.

You can agree with me...or you can be wrong!

Life is GOOD!