Archery Talk Forum banner

please help change my opinion on wolves

1K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  LonglineCharlie 
#1 ·
I have been very clear on my thoughts on wolves, and I have had a lot of people tell me I was wrong. I do not like wolves.
My family has over 500 acres in the U.P. my grandfather purchased the land as a young man when he worked for the railroad and as a bonus they could buy it very cheap. It has been the family hunting camp for over sixty years. In the last ten years the deer heard has been decimated by wolves. We use to see over thirty deer a day, now MABY three. We see wolf kills and wolves on the property. Many of the locals who have been our family friends for years have lost their jobs due to the wolf. They have reduced the deer heard so much that hunters no longer visit the area reducing busines so much they had to close. Our property value has even decreased due to the deer population decreasing and hunters not wanting property in the area.
The way I see it wolves are like poachers, if you owned and managed a piece of property and trespassers, poachers or others were on your land killing the deer you would go to great measures to stop them. The drought this summer caused blue tounge disease to kill a lot of deer, I seen a lot of threads here on how to treat water deer use, and people scared about what they could due to save their heard. Why should we not be able to protect our land and heard from wolves if you can protect your from a natural killer? Is it not the same as a natural disease killing deer? Both are natural, both have effects on the heard, why can you treat a natural disease to save your deer, but I can not treat a natural problem to save mine?
I do not own the wolves, but I do own the land, and we as a family pay the taxes, and keep the land to hunt as a family, if wolves are ruining that why should we have to put up with it?
Michigan hunters purchased over 1,000,000 licenses last year, how many licences were bought to watch wolves? How much money was influxed into our starving economy by wolf watchers? How much by hunters? I feel we should protect be able to protect our land for the wildlife we choose to have on it.
Please tell me your opinion on why wolves should be protected and saves.

See less See more
#2 ·
I do not own the wolves, but I do own the land, and we as a family pay the taxes, and keep the land to hunt as a family, if wolves are ruining that why should we have to put up with it?
Stop paying taxes and see who owns the land :wink:.

You might own the land but you own none of the wildlife on it (at least in this country). That includes the deer everyone holds so sacred too. Just because you enjoy putting money into growing larger deer or get people to pay you to guide them in pursuit of this public resource, you do not have any more right to them than anyone else. Wolves naturally have the right to exist just like deer do but humans have the obligation to intelligently manage populations. You should be able to hunt them and, hopefully, that will change for you all in the Great Lakes region soon.

All that being said, I highly doubt anyone on here will ever change your opinion as you already have your mind made up. It isn't easy to change anyone's mind at that point.

#3 ·
it's tough

When at first there were none around to both you.

Then the fringe groups and Government re-introduce them into the area where you already owned property.

All without any public input or voting. Just shoved onto you.

#4 ·
When at first there were none around to both you.

Then the fringe groups and Government re-introduce them into the area where you already owned property.

All without any public input or voting. Just shoved onto you.
Can't argue with that, except there was plenty of public input. Seems like most of the positive input was from individuals well outside of the reintro areas though.

#5 ·
Quite simply I would protect myself from those attacking K-9's!:wink:

#9 ·
like it was said above. Most people that wanted them dont live or go anywhere near the area that they are. I just cant stand driving around my state and seeing those dam wolf license plates. Lets support something that people hate but we never have to deal with. Just dont get it. Dont think this will change your mind. sorry

#12 ·
Sounds like you need to contact a game biologist (not one employed by the state) to determine if your thoughts about the reduction in game population is actually correct.

If it is, then you might want to start petitions, contacting your local govt. reps., etc., etc..

#19 ·
NO NO NO NO NO !!!
Dont contact anyone from the government. U go out and shoot them and let them lie. Other animals will take care of them after they are dead. Dont tell anyone. U just do it yourself. Kill as many as you can and keep this wonderful secret to yourself.

#13 ·
Three S's, Shoot, Shovel, Shut-up!!!! There, problem partially solved.

I agree, we make huge mistakes when we do things, such as re-introduce wolves to areas, and protect them, yet we don't protect the other animals that the wolves will kill to the point of extinction if not kept in check. A wolf has NO NATURAL predator, therefore, they are "almost" unstoppable, unless WE STOP THEM. Unfortunately, many of the "do-gooders" never realize the harm they'll cause until after they've caused it. Hillary Clinton is a perfect example, with her recent statement that she now realizes NAFTA was a mistake. That's great news, maybe she should tell the couple of kids I went to school that she's sorry that their father went into a major depression and killed himself after his company moved to Mexico??? Maybe we should try the whole of Congress who voted for it for murder???

If you HATE the wolves, not many here are going to disagree with you.

#15 ·
There is no one here that can change your mind about Wolves. The only person is you. Your dislike has been planted in your brain for years. Not that its a bad thing. You only know how to dislike the animal its what you were taught . They hunt the deer that you hunt 24/7 you yourself hunt much less. Competion for one thing can result in greed. You have to remember Michigan has changed drastically over the years the hunters who use to travel to the U.P. just dont anymore. Money and jobs is the factor in some of this. Winters also. And I also will bet that many of the deer in the U.P. are also killed by locals out of season. And yes ! the Wolves also have a play in this. And as you have stated disease. The economy in the U.P. has struggled for many years. Even ice fisherman have faded some. Sporting goods store are also going out up there. I have always loved to travel the U.P its a beautiful place. And when Iam up there I look for two animals one is the Whitetails and the other was the Wolves. Its survival at its best in the U.P. it will be that way for many more years. As I type this to you its not about changing your mind about Wolves, I cant do that , and wont. Things are changing all over the world , as are people. I just hope all of us can keep up w/ the changes. There real.

Crazy Wolf.

#16 ·
OK you asked so I am going to say. But let me first say that we do not have wolves in IL so I have not yet had the oppurtunity of sharing land with them.

The key word is reintroduce. Just ask yourself why would a population decline or expire these days, one word "us". We build, build, and build thus causing more and more wildlife habitat to decline, which results in the animals theirselves declining. This also leads to us hunters loses game to hunt.

Maybe it is a blessing in disguise. Maybe the wolves will thin the numbers down, so the spread a disease is not as severe as it is when the deer numbers are extremely high, ultimately get to live in land they used to call home. From what I have read on wolves, which I admit is not very much, they specifically target the sick and weak. This in itself will also help the deer herd.

The deer are great survivors as we all know, they can and will adapt to the new predator, just as I assume you will over time.

Just give it time.

Like I said you asked so I told, not punt intended.

#17 · (Edited)
"Wolves naturally have the right to exist"

I'll agree with that to a certain degree but...

Naturally does not mean dropped off by the government to see how it will go. The damn government and the wolf huggers are like their outfitters dropping them off in our back yard where the hunting is good. I'd like to drop off a pack in downtown Washington and see how that goes. Must be nice to be a wolf and be able to say "I couldn't read the no trespassing signs" They have better hunting opportunities than we do. Better lawyers too. I might be willing to dig a hole and live in it if I could hunt any animal in any state with no closed season and no license. I'm just your average predator but not nearly as effective as a gang of wolves
I'm done venting. Did I change your mind.

:uzi: :pawprint: :pawprint: :pawprint: :pawprint: :wolf:

:cheers:

#22 ·
My Grandparents live in Manistique and they see them non-stop everyday. Yeah the U.P. has gotten way over populated with them and I believe the DNR is finally realizing it. Last time I heard that the DNR is seriously looking into having a lottery drawing on them to have hunts, sort of like the Elk drawing here. I would love to hunt them myself, it needs to be done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.