Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crossbows in Colorado

Crossbows in Colorado

Is it legal to hunt with crossbows in colorado on public ground.

07 Vectrix Primary Bow, Axis 340's, HHA 5500, 100gr Muzzy, 09 Katera XL Backup and 3D Bow, Its not the catch or the kill its the experience! Special Thanks to Americas Best Bowstrings!

Not during archery season without a disability permit. You may be able to during rifle season.
    sine labore nihil

The regs say it is leagal during modern rifle season for deer, elk, bear, moose, pronghorn.
    God is good!

This years regulations say yes, but only during the regular rifle seasons.
    It's not the stick-It's the person behind the string!
    Mathews DXT, Outback.Cobra/ Beman/Easton/Tru Ball/Slick Trick

With a disabilty permit you can..

I would check with the division . It is not listed under the "hunters with disabilities" as a legal option & clearly states "illegal in archery season" You can go online & look @ www.wildlife.state.co.us
    It's not the stick-It's the person behind the string!
    Mathews DXT, Outback.Cobra/ Beman/Easton/Tru Ball/Slick Trick

From……

http://wildlife.state.co.us/DisabilityInformation.htm
    Archery Permit:

Please note, there is a specific application for accommodations for manner-of-take during archery season. View the Cover Letter (PDF) and download the Archery Manner of Take Accommodation Application (PDF).

A manner-of-take accommodation during archery season is approved or denied based on the applicant's nature and degree of impairment.

Information submitted by the applicant and the medical provider serves as the basis for determining which type of accommodation is necessary for you to participate in archery season.

The Division of Wildlife intends to issue the minimum manner-of-take accommodation necessary to meet the individual applicant's specific need. Dependent on the nature and degree of impairment, accommodations will be granted allowing modifications to standard archery equipment. If accommodations, such as modifications to standard archery equipment, allow individuals with disabilities to hunt during archery season, that is the accommodation that will be granted. Crossbow accommodations will only be issued after consideration of all other options.

Application for accomodations…….

http://wildlife.state.co.us/NR/rdonl...pplication.pdf

Colorados regulations on crossbow are right on, consider it a rifle.
    2007 Hardwoods Bowtech Allegiance #70
    Muzzy MX3 broadhead, blazer vanes, Gold Tip XT Hunters, matching Hardwoods Sts, Trophy Taker rest, Limbsaver 6" S coil,Tru Glo quiver, Tru Glo 5 pin Xtreme sight[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Huntin Daddy View Post
    Colorados regulations on crossbow are right on, consider it a rifle.
    I guess that would be right so long as the compound was considered a vertical crossbow
    I have discovered there are two sides to every argument. First and foremost, is my side, then there is the side thatno reasonably intelligent,informed,sane, and self respecting person could possibly hold..Bob

Quote Originally Posted by cynic View Post
    I guess that would be right so long as the compound was considered a vertical crossbow
    Have you looked at or shot a cross bow?

They have a stock and a barrel, I can't remember seeing ether on a compound.
    65# Hoyt Katera-Rip Cord rest, Reflex Buckskin-Whisker Biscuit rest
    Jim Fletcher FlatHead Release, HAA-OL-5000 sight,
    Winners Choice String and Cables
    GT Pro Hunters , SlickTrick125

Quote Originally Posted by BingoFlyer View Post
    Have you looked at or shot a cross bow?

They have a stock and a barrel, I can't remember seeing ether on a compound.
    They do? I see the stock but no barrel- maybe a longer arrow shelf.. Now a compound has a PISTOL GRIP and a short barrel/ arrow shelf. I guess looks can be deceiving if you don't want to see it
    I have discovered there are two sides to every argument. First and foremost, is my side, then there is the side thatno reasonably intelligent,informed,sane, and self respecting person could possibly hold..Bob

Yep.......if you could mechanically lock the compound bow at full draw, then it would be considered the same. Otherwise....no.
    2006 LH Bowtech Old Glory 70#, 32 1/2" draw, back to the Hostage rest, SH 7-pin Hunter, 500gr TR Crush 300 @ 285fps.
    2007 LH Bowtech Commander 60#, 32" draw, Limbdriver rest, BG 5-pin Flashpoint.
    2014 PSE Freak SP 70#, 32" draw, not set up yet.

It is not very becoming to try and fool others.. Now just who was it that said the high letoff bows were akin to a vertical crossbow..
    When all you guys that want to consider yourselves bowhunters but use the easiest, smoothest draw, high letoff, technologically advanced adjustable triggered release and sight applications put them down I will begin to see the difference.. not until

It is not very becoming to try and fool others.. Now just who was it that said the high letoff bows were akin to a vertical crossbow..
    G. Fred Asbell as President of the P & Y while speaking at the First Bowhunter Conference.

G. Fred Asbell at the First National Bowhunter Conference on why P & Y chose 65% let off - "The Pope and Young Club chose the 65% let-off as the maximum allowable for compound bows. The intent was to set a limit, beyond which a bow departed from being a hand-held, hand-drawn weapon that enjoyed primitive status.

But, it also seemed foolish to attempt to turn back the clock, and to disallow what everyone was already shooting. At the time of the Pope and Young Club fair chase amendment, 65% let-off was the upper edge of what was being manufactured and sold on a large scale. A few bows were being offered above that level, although most were experimental.

We became aware that some were experimenting with let-offs above 90% (which were felt at that time to be akin to a vertically held crossbow.) A majority of the compound bows being manufactured and sold at that time were below 65%. This is where the Pope and Young Club decided to draw a line."

NOW M. R. James says -

By M.R. James, Founder/Editor Emeritus

AS A SENIOR MEMBER of the Pope and Young Club since 1980 and editor of three of the five P&Y record books published since 1975, I have been involved in various club activities for more than 32 years. I served on the board of directors from 1986 to 2000, including a 10-year stint as first vice president. I've been an official measurer since 1978. .............

As I see it, we must admit we made a mistake. Why? For years now, about 80 percent of compound bows sold have greater than 65-percent letoff. That means most bowhunters heading afield this fall will be toting bows that are P&Y "illegal," and none of the trophy animals they harvest will be eligible for the P&Y record book. In my opinion, something is definitely wrong when our record system excludes a majority of legally licensed bowhunters.

Not only does this deprive the Club of valuable revenue needed for many worthwhile projects, but worse, it means our club no longer fulfills a fundamental P&Y goal of serving as repository for bowhunting records of North American big game. And as long as a majority of this continent's bowhunters use equipment deemed unacceptable by Pope and Young, we will never collect truly representative trophy data. Without change, we'll soon be accepting and documenting a mere fraction of the total annual trophy harvest.

Given that fact, the Club's credibility is at stake. We can stubbornly stick to our 65-percent rule and exclude an increasing number of worthy trophies year after year, or we can accept the reality of a changing bowhunting world and realize that this particular equipment issue is not really significant.
    Last edited by willie; April 12th, 2008 at 10:45 AM.

How hard is it to qualify for the permit? My father in law has one arm . . . pretty sure he could qualify right??
    Bowtech Insanity 29" 70LB - love it
    Elite GTO G1 70lb 29" CRACKERIZED!!
    Customized Bowtech Beast 70lb 29" CRACKERIZED!!

They do? I see the stock but no barrel- maybe a longer arrow shelf.. Now a compound has a PISTOL GRIP and a short barrel/ arrow shelf. I guess looks can be deceiving if you don't want to see it
    Check Horton's ad they talk about how straight their barrel is and it's longer than the bolt.

Wilie now no fair you answering for them.. I was hoping that they could find it so that they would see it for themselves.. Sometimes it helps when those that somehow think that they are better than others see for themselves just what the founders thought about the new high tech HIGH LETOFF vertical crossbows.. Somehow many seem to have abandoned the original intent if it suits their individual needs

crossbow

My problem with a crossbow is the Cocked locked and ready to rock stuff. You can not tell me its just as hard holding a crossbow cocked and, on an animal with all the variables that are involved. As it is holding a vertical bow even with letoff.were exactly do you see the effort of shooting a crossbow? What muscles do you use really were is the effort?And have you studied up on history, you really think cave men would have turned the compound bow down? No .Im sure they wouldnt have turned down the crossbow either, why because it is easier. Im sorry but the compound bow and crossbow are so very much alike but yet so completely different.You find a way to hold the crossbow string by hand and I will change my mind.
    2007 Hardwoods Bowtech Allegiance #70
    Muzzy MX3 broadhead, blazer vanes, Gold Tip XT Hunters, matching Hardwoods Sts, Trophy Taker rest, Limbsaver 6" S coil,Tru Glo quiver, Tru Glo 5 pin Xtreme sight[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Wbuffetjr1 View Post
    How hard is it to qualify for the permit? My father in law has one arm . . . pretty sure he could qualify right??
    He'll never know until he tries.

There is a part of the application form that asks about amputees.

This young man qualifies and got ridiculed by the holier than thou vertical xbow user to the point he has given up hunting with any type of bow. I keep this picture close for all those that say "handicapped should be allowed"
    This was at a Buckmasters hunt in Dublin Ga.

I have always supported the cross rifle being legal for the handicapped and know no one that doesn't it's not about "holier than thou vertical bow hunters" it's about abuse. The problem, in MI, is that it is abused.

On the day before the opening of archery season, two years ago, I saw a very able bodied person (had his 2 year old son on his shoulders) buy a cross bow and insisted on a 3-9X scope be put on it because he was going to be hunting a power line and could get 100 yard shots.

He claimed to have a handicap permit, handicap must have been mental.

Quote Originally Posted by Wbuffetjr1 View Post
    I'm sure he would qualify, but start the process early. The form says to allow 8 weeks I think. I looked into this last year when I had shoulder surgery, and the DOW was easy to deal with. The local DOW officer asked me to let him know if I got the permit, so he could answer calls from concerned citizens reporting me. You might want to take that step as well. I think you can find a .pdf file with the application on the DOW website.

I ended up hunting one-armed with a lefty bow and a mouthtab. Another option for your father in law, not nearly as hard as it sounds. In fact, I have a bow he can buy
    sine labore nihil

Quote Originally Posted by skynight View Post
    I'm sure he would qualify, but start the process early. The form says to allow 8 weeks I think. I looked into this last year when I had shoulder surgery, and the DOW was easy to deal with. The local DOW officer asked me to let him know if I got the permit, so he could answer calls from concerned citizens reporting me. You might want to take that step as well. I think you can find a .pdf file with the application on the DOW website.

I ended up hunting one-armed with a lefty bow and a mouthtab. Another option for your father in law, not nearly as hard as it sounds. In fact, I have a bow he can buy
    He is old now and has pretty much given up on hunting. There is no way I could get him to try to learn to shoot a bow tih his mouth. You'd have to know him, just isn't gonna happen. He can still play golf very well and shoot guns very well (so I think he'll be ok with an xbow), but can't go out chasing down Elk during rifle season. When I started talking to him about trying to set him up in a DB blind with an Xbow he actually got pretty excited (he grew up Elk hunting but pretty much had written it off now), but then people were telling him that xbows were illegal in bow season under all circumstances. I told him I didn't think that was correct, but had gotten sidetracked with other stuff and kept putting off researching it till I saw this thread. He has the app now and is working on it.
    Bowtech Insanity 29" 70LB - love it
    Elite GTO G1 70lb 29" CRACKERIZED!!
    Customized Bowtech Beast 70lb 29" CRACKERIZED!!

Quote Originally Posted by BingoFlyer View Post
    I have always supported the cross rifle being legal for the handicapped and know no one that doesn't it's not about "holier than thou vertical bow hunters" it's about abuse. The problem, in MI, is that it is abused.

On the day before the opening of archery season, two years ago, I saw a very able bodied person (had his 2 year old son on his shoulders) buy a cross bow and insisted on a 3-9X scope be put on it because he was going to be hunting a power line and could get 100 yard shots.

He claimed to have a handicap permit, handicap must have been mental.
    Claims of 100yd xbow kills are, well, exaggerated claims.

Claims of 100yd xbow kills are, well, exaggerated claims.
    I hear people claiming that they have plenty of KE for kills with light or heavy arrows. If you look at the speed of the arrow at 100 yards, there's still plenty of KE to get the job done. Throw a scope on a crossbow and it would be even easier.
    2006 LH Bowtech Old Glory 70#, 32 1/2" draw, back to the Hostage rest, SH 7-pin Hunter, 500gr TR Crush 300 @ 285fps.
    2007 LH Bowtech Commander 60#, 32" draw, Limbdriver rest, BG 5-pin Flashpoint.
    2014 PSE Freak SP 70#, 32" draw, not set up yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast