Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: can i shoot my bow in my backyard

can i shoot my bow in my backyard

here is what the city law says: what do you think. especially the part that says "except within ones own dwelling"

9.66.030 Throwing and shooting—Prohibited acts—Nonapplicability.
    A. It is a violation to throw stones or missiles of any kind or to shoot arrows, rubber guns, slingshots, air rifles or other dangerous instruments or toys on or into any pub-lic or private place except within one’s own dwelling.
    B. This section shall not apply to the shooting of arrows under the direction of a certified public school teacher in the municipal recreation program or public school physical education program.

thanks ben

Psalms 23:6

i woulld say no because it say within ones own dwelling which would mean in your house so probably not in your backyard
    Good people sleep peacefuly in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    Support our troops or feel free to stand in front of them

Well I do it, but I made sure it was o.k with all my surrounding neighbors! I also made a safe back drop. I have never had any problems, but i think it depends on your situation?

The way I read it no you can only shoot in your house .
    I don't know your neighbors but if you have a lot of room & a safe back stop as them if they care if you shoot . I been shooting for 5 years in my yard the neighbors know to stay away when I'm shooting . and if I see them out I just don't shoot . I never looked up my laws I would guess their the same .

nope

The way i read it, it says no.

I would ask the neighbors and see what they say.

I would ask a Police officer to come and see where you are wanting to shoot and get there opinion before shooting outside of the house. AC
    scottstarnes.com>>>----->spyderwebtargets.com>>>------->www.epekhunting.com>>---->Elusion camo >>>---->PSEarchery.com
    Have fun with archery and archery will be fun for you.
    I've learned that there is a fine line between genius and insanity.
    I am related to a Genius and a Moron.

neighbors

neighbors wouldn't care. my garage would be the backstop in my backyard. i would shoot but i don't want the police to take my bow.
    Psalms 23:6

I would have to agree with the others in this thread.A dwelling is a house so.....no soup(shooting)for you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bowtechben View Post
    neighbors wouldn't care. my garage would be the backstop in my backyard. i would shoot but i don't want the police to take my bow.
    Here it is the same as fireing a gun Felony offence and jail if you are caught

I would say no.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war. Plato
    2013 Hoyt Spyder Turbo, 413 gr Gold Tip XT's, 307 fps, TT Smackdown, BG Ascent

Quote Originally Posted by rookie shootr View Post
    Here it is the same as fireing a gun Felony offence and jail if you are caught
    ..And now you questioned it in writing..EVIDENCE!!!!!!

any info on bow tech black ice thanks

to shoot or not to shoot

I had the same question. I stopped by and asked someone at the police department they said no because a bow is considered a firearm.

Same Here

No bb guns ect....

I haven't asked the city, I just go shoot.

Haven't had a problem in 10 years.
    Mike, proud member of the NCWID!
    USA
    PROUD MEMBER OF OHM RESISTANCE
    AR34 RAM.5 / PSE Bow Madness 32 Extreme sights, WB rests

***??!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hunttim View Post
    any info on bow tech black ice thanks
    When the war is over soldiers come home, SAILORS dont. WE will always stand a vigilant watch to protect YOUR way of life.
    It's not that I'm cranky, I just dont care what you think.
    Google isnt all that difficult to use, i'm not gonna spoon feed you info that you're too lazy to look up.

I would open a window and shoot threw it into the yard. You would be in your dwelling.

Quote Originally Posted by mr59x View Post
    [. . .] but I made sure it was o.k with all my surrounding neighbors![. . .]
    This is a situation in which the law is in place but discretion unofficially prevails in most cases. That is, if someone complains or if you are observed shooting in a careless or reckless manner you will be cited. But you've taken care of the most important consideration by getting your neighbors' approval, so as long as you don't represent a hazard you probably will be okay.
    Merlin SuperNova
    SureLoc Challenger w/ Impact Cosmic DX Scope.
    Trophy Taker Spring Steel Rest.
    Super-Stix Stabilizer / Easton Platinum Plus Aluminums.
    Tru-Fire Hurricane Release.

Quote Originally Posted by archerycharlie View Post
    [. . .]
    I would ask a Police officer to come and see where you are wanting to shoot and get there opinion before shooting outside of the house. AC
    Bad idea. Don't ask a police officer if it's okay to break a standing law because there is only one answer he can give you. And then you will have been officially warned.

The best way to go is check with your neighbors, demonstrate your concern for safety and never shoot when there are kids around.
    Merlin SuperNova
    SureLoc Challenger w/ Impact Cosmic DX Scope.
    Trophy Taker Spring Steel Rest.
    Super-Stix Stabilizer / Easton Platinum Plus Aluminums.
    Tru-Fire Hurricane Release.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
    Bad idea. Don't ask a police officer if it's okay to break a standing law because there is only one answer he can give you. And then you will have been officially warned.

The best way to go is check with your neighbors, demonstrate your concern for safety and never shoot when there are kids around.
    I disagree here, i asked a passing officer & his response was, well you are not supposed to, but as long as nobody complains & you are in your back yard, you should be ok, someone needs to see you to report you, hard to see you over the fence. fire away.

been shooting ever since.

I would find out the "legal" definition of dwelling. So if my kids are throwing rocks in the driveway puddles are they going to jail?
    Top Nock Archery
    Appling, GA
    Authorized Martin Archery Dealer

A dweilling is a structure in which you reside.

Most cities and towns have ordinances established to refrain people from shooting bows in their yards.

Ordinances are civil in nature and are not considered crimes.

Check with your local authorities and have them give you a copy of said ordinance,,,and then follow it.

Agreeing with Mike on this one....the statue definitely appears to prohibit it, but there would have to be a complaint filed. Hopefully your neighbors are cool.

I have a buddy that is not allowed to shoot in his backyard, borough laws.
    Stage 1 Strings Hunting PS / Fury X Archery SS / Dead Center Archery PS / Slick Trick PS / Gold Tip AS / Carbomask PS / Trophy Blend Scents PS / Tenzing FS / Bohning SS / U-Slide PS / Spot Hogg PS / TightSpot Quiver PS / Mossy Oak PS / Swarovski Field Tech / Team QAD PS

we have same law here too. But lucky for me... local police officer and my nieghbor come over to shoot pretty often. I do have to keep an eye out for the youngsters!! Just do everything you can to be safe!
    04 Outback 29"@ 65#
    Trophy Taker Pronghorn
    Extreme Sights .10 Pins
    Gold-tips w/Rage 2 Blades

wow... lots of fly by night lawyers in here... call the police and pose the question.. they are not going to arrest you for asking. if they say go for it.. then talk to your neighbors and let them know your intentions. simple really

time to move!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast