Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disc and harrow for ATV made food plots

Question Disc and harrow for ATV made food plots

For those that are using an atv to make their food plots, what disc and harrow are you using? I will eventually purchase something but would like to try it first to see how it works out. I'm not having any luck finding a place to rent from.

P.S. I'm using a Kawasaki Prairie 360cc 4x4 and we are planting between 4 to 5 acres on one farm.

ArcheryTalk is a Gun Free Zone. Check out www.GunTalkWorld.com for gun related items.
    Sending payment via PayPal Gift option? Bad idea

Be careful with that Prairie 360. We've found that unless you have a liquid-cooled bike, you could very easily burn up your ATV. Personally, I would rent a tractor for that much area.
    Isaiah 41:10

MATHEWS REEZEN 7.0

Quote Originally Posted by RxBowhunter View Post
    For those that are using an atv to make their food plots, what disc and harrow are you using? I will eventually purchase something but would like to try it first to see how it works out. I'm not having any luck finding a place to rent from.

P.S. I'm using a Kawasaki Prairie 360cc 4x4 and we are planting between 4 to 5 acres on one farm.
    get a king cutter disk from agri supply,there about $500 have 10 disks and its hevey.Iuse a honda 400 and have no trouble puling it.it looks like the same disk the plot master uses.
    look at www.agrisupply.com

I think you need to buy a tractor first, you will destroy that atv in no time. I did one food plot with my atv and had to replace the clutch afterwards which cost about $350 doing it myself. So I bought an old international 300 tractor for $1800 that thing will outlast me. If you are serious about food plots either buy or rent a tractor, it will save you a lot in the long run.
    Hoyt CRX32, black and camo
    Mathews DXT
    Mathews Reezen
    I love animals, they taste great!

I have read this before about using a tractor. My friend decided he is going to buy a small one instead of an atv for now to do the larger plot areas.
    I have three different hunting spots that I am putting plots in this year.....one in Missouri and two in Kansas. The plots will be much smaller in Missouri (~~30 x 30 yards and another about 1/2 acre) and on one of the KS farm (~~30 x 100 yards). The newest KS farm is where we are planting the large plots for now.
    I am hoping to use the atv for the smaller plots and perhaps just use a drag harrow on the larger plots with the atv until he buys the tractor.

P.S. I'm a Pharmacist not a farmer so I'm looking for some Farm-Assist.
    ArcheryTalk is a Gun Free Zone. Check out www.GunTalkWorld.com for gun related items.

I've been looking for the same thing. Have a 450 Yamaha, lots of places I just can't go with the tractor I have. Looking at all the expense and wear on the quad, I might just have to plant where I can get to with the tractor. Seems to be the only option.

First of all 4-5 acres is way to big of an area to work with just a ATV. Either you need to find a farmer that will work it for you or rent a tractor. Second I wouldn't use a ATV that has anything smaller than a 400. ATV's work great for smaller plots like 1/2 acre or less especially in places you can't get at with a tractor. I have two piece of equipment for making food plots with my ATV. A disc and a landscaping rake. With a disc look for one that you can either add weight to it or where you can adjust the angle and height of the disc otherwise it will just roll over top the ground and not cut in to break up the sod. The rake I use to smooth out the plot to get rid of the clumps of sod and dirt. Another thing you will have to make several passes or more before the soil is good and broke up. Good luck
    Mathews Switchback
    Easton Superlite xx75's
    Muzzy's 125
    Trophy Ridge Sights
    Mathews Micro rest

You might want to check this one out- seems like exactly what you need.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...1181_200311181

Rob

were using our polaris sportsman 500 to put our new plots in this year. my dad and i havent ever put in food plots before. we bought a king kutter (sp?) disc and already have a sprayer and seed spreader. we have a tractor also but the spots were plating are in the woods such a ridge tops and small hill sides so a tractor simply wont work. we sprayed real good last night and hopefully in two or so weeks spray again to hit the spots we missed
    -XT
    -DXT

the link to the disc above my first post is the exact disc we bought, bad to the bone is what it is. it has slots to put C blocks and you can adjust it just like a 3 point hitch
    -XT
    -DXT

The King Kutter looks like just the ticket! I wish I could find it for about half that price but I may just have to bite the bullet and pick one up.
    Bass Pro had a disc emplement in the store that was selling for ~$450 but it is only about 20-24" wide. That would take me forever!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Although an ATV may be the only thing to get to areas you want to plant, just be forewarned, as others have already said, This is going to take a big toll on your ATV. I know from experience.! I planted six small plots (tot. acres-1.25)last year in a river bottom area using a Plotmaster and my 450 Honda. In order to break the ground I really needed alot of weight on the implement and it was very rough on my ATV and Me!! I don't think i'll do it again.
    Good Luck

The King Kutter looks like just the ticket! I wish I could find it for about half that price but I may just have to bite the bullet and pick one up.
    Bass Pro had a disc emplement in the store that was selling for ~$450 but it is only about 20-24" wide. That would take me forever!
    If you look around you may be able to find a used one.or better yet invite me hunting for those big mid west bucks and I'll give you mine.

Quote Originally Posted by outback1 View Post
    If you look around you may be able to find a used one.or better yet invite me hunting for those big mid west bucks and I'll give you mine.
    DONE!!! Can you have it here before the weekend?
    I'll have your stand set up and you can preview trailcam pics before your hunt!

pm sent!

Quote Originally Posted by Duckbill View Post
    Be careful with that Prairie 360. We've found that unless you have a liquid-cooled bike, you could very easily burn up your ATV. Personally, I would rent a tractor for that much area.
    I agree. or use at least a 500cc atv.
    Wildlife Farmer

Quote Originally Posted by outback1 View Post
    pm sent!
    PM's returned!!

I have tilled up and planted a couple hundred acres with my ATV. No failures at all. The key is to use an ATV withOUT an automatic transmission, and one that has a solid rear axle. My Honda 500 Foreman works great.

I use a summit Plot mule, and it works fine, but Kunz Manufacturing makes the best ATV food plot equipment I have found. Adjustable chisel plows are the ticket.
    1960 Bear Grizzly 48@28"/Spigarelli BB 25" w/ SF Ultimate Pro medium limbs 40# @ 28"/2013 Wes Wallace Mentor 46@ 28"/Dave Miller "Old Mahoning" hybrid longbow 46@ 28"/DAS Dalaa 21" w/SF Premium Carbon 46# @ 28"

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Hawk View Post
    I agree. or use at least a 500cc atv.
    In following years (or maybe for the Fall planting) we will have a tractor for the large plots. This will only be used for the smaller plots under 1/2 acre and the "secret spots" where a tractor can't be used.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post
    I have tilled up and planted a couple hundred acres with my ATV. No failures at all. The key is to use an ATV withOUT an automatic transmission, and one that has a solid rear axle. My Honda 500 Foreman works great.

I use a summit Plot mule, and it works fine, but Kunz Manufacturing makes the best ATV food plot equipment I have found. Adjustable chisel plows are the ticket.
    Thanks Mitch. I have the solid rear axle covered but mine is auto tranny.....

Thanks Mitch. I have the solid rear axle covered but mine is auto tranny.....
    Check out the Kunz chisel plows.........they require MUCH less from the power unit to pull them.
    1960 Bear Grizzly 48@28"/Spigarelli BB 25" w/ SF Ultimate Pro medium limbs 40# @ 28"/2013 Wes Wallace Mentor 46@ 28"/Dave Miller "Old Mahoning" hybrid longbow 46@ 28"/DAS Dalaa 21" w/SF Premium Carbon 46# @ 28"

check this out

http://www.groundhogdiscplow.com/video/groundhog.htm

It fits betweent the back tires. The weight of the 4 wheeler and driver push it into the ground. Says you can use it in reverse as well. Very interesting. If anyone has used it I would like to hear how it works.

I got lucky a couple of years ago and found this on Fleabay for $700 for everything - almost all attachments. The cultivator, the tandem disk, the dump box, the box scraper, and the hilling moldboards. I just did a little over 3 acres in less than 1 day. I have a sprayer and a seeder for the ATV and I'm set. Having this and agreeing to work a guys food plots got me into 80 acres of prime land full rights all year.

Mine has scalloped blades on the front. I pull it with a Polaris 500 in low with no problem.

http://www.quadivator.com/thequadivator.html

Try the Sodbuster electric or manual lift from Antler King.

We plant about the same amount of acres. We use a Ford tractor to cultivate not an ATV, but My Polaris Magnum 330 4x4 to spread the seed and fertilizer and pull the drag with.
    Drop that tailgate, show 'em what it's all about!
    Don't tread on me is what it says, and I'll take that to my grave.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast