a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why are luminock illegal in washington???

why are luminock illegal in washington???

I live here in washington state and am preaty irritated about luminock's being illegal. just wondering if there are any other states out there that can't use them. other laws here that i dont care for are can't cary a side arm while bow hunting, and can't us mechanical broadheads(not sure if i would if i could though).
    The big reason i want luminocks legal is that i have shot a deer and a elk and both time i did not see were my arrow hit. I have no clue how to go about trying to get them legalized but it sure would be nice if we could shoot them.

A lot of states ban anything that is powered by any kind of electrical or battery powered object. This (I assume) is to keep people from using aluminated sights, lasers etc. Therefore keeping people from taking risky shots in low light situations.

I agree, if anything a lumenock gives no advantage except helping recover an already hit animal. One of the dumbest laws i've seen. Hope you make some progress getting it changed.

you might check if any local groups are trying to do anything about it. Here in MT, the Montana Bowhunters Association seem to be the biggest opponents of lighted nocks.
    I could be mistaken, but I think there are only 5 states that outlaw them.

Quote Originally Posted by holger_danske View Post
    you might check if any local groups are trying to do anything about it. Here in MT, the Montana Bowhunters Association seem to be the biggest opponents of lighted nocks.
    I could be mistaken, but I think there are only 5 states that outlaw them.
    Utah and Idaho are probably two of the five.

Here we go... MBA's position on lighted nocks... 6 out of 7 arguments against and they all start out with the "back in my day..." primitive arguments. Nevermind the animal recovery advantage, they seem to be fighting to keep bowhunting in the stone age.

http://www.mtba.org/News/sept07-lumi...on-debate.html

Montana, Washington, Oregon, North Dakota and Utah.

Quote Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
    Utah and Idaho are probably two of the five.

I knew utah would be one. I am shocked Idaho isn't, there pretty strict. During rifle season you cannot have a rifle in your truck or on your wheeler during daylight hours.

holger good call on your avatar!!!! And the luminox!

That is almost as ridiculous as arguments against other forms of archery tackle..
    I have discovered there are two sides to every argument. First and foremost, is my side, then there is the side thatno reasonably intelligent,informed,sane, and self respecting person could possibly hold..Bob

i did not think they were illegal in So. Dak. at first either but i found out that they were. what happened is when they wrote the law it was meant to be directed at lighted sites etc. when they came out with lighted knocks the law ended up applying to them as well. it will just take someone to rewrite the law or ammend it and present to the state. i'm sure as time goes on more bowhunters will lobby for these changes and it will get done.

lol, thx. I sure wish I could use lighted nocks... I shoot w/ my left eye closed, and tend to lose track of the arrow in flight because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by georgiabuckdan View Post
    holger good call on your avatar!!!! And the luminox!

Quote Originally Posted by celticgladiator View Post
    i did not think they were illegal in So. Dak. at first either but i found out that they were. what happened is when they wrote the law it was meant to be directed at lighted sites etc. when they came out with lighted knocks the law ended up applying to them as well. it will just take someone to rewrite the law or ammend it and present to the state. i'm sure as time goes on more bowhunters will lobby for these changes and it will get done.
    Basically, give it ten years, it will change.

yep us too

they are illegal here as well. i don't know why though.

I wouldn't be so sure... you may want to find out if SD has a bowhunter's assoc and what their position is. I assumed Montana Bowhunter Assoc would be on this side of the issue and they're not.

Quote Originally Posted by celticgladiator View Post

either that or we need to get up and get it changed.

Will it? MBA has taken an open position against lighted nocks, so who's going to change it?

Quote Originally Posted by deismech View Post
    Thanks for the confirmation, I was pretty sure Idaho was in, but not possitive.

Will it? MBA has taken an open position against lighted nocks, so who's going to change it?
    I'm not saying I'm for or against, because personally, I don't care. My comment about the ten years was in refrence to government time frame. Nothing happens fast when you are dealing with a government agency.

ok, I misunderstood... I thought you meant those states would eventually catch up, so to speak.

I'm not saying I'm for or against, because personally, I don't care. My comment about the ten years was in refrence to government time frame. Nothing happens fast when you are dealing with a government agency.

Illegal here too
    Add Colorado to the list.

Montana, Washington, Oregon, North Dakota and Utah.
    You got that right!

Quote Originally Posted by deismech View Post
    Some of it (at least here in Oregon) had to do with the people who thought if there is a "special" archery-only season (longer and sometimes during the rut), the bowhunters ought to be using as primitive a weapon as possible.
    Arguments erupted between archers and riflemen (some being fueled by the traditional guys), and the laws were made to keep some of the innovations (compounds, for one) and do away with others (lighted sights and nocks, tracking devices in arrows, bow-mounted rangefinders, etc.)
    This also regulated let-off percentages, for a while.

That's often the result when hunters fight each other, instead of the antis.
    Last edited by orduckhunter; April 22nd, 2008 at 07:52 PM.
    Mathews Drenalin

Quote Originally Posted by switchbackmat View Post
    I live here in washington state and am preaty irritated about luminock's being illegal. just wondering if there are any other states out there that can't use them. other laws here that i dont care for are can't cary a side arm while bow hunting, and can't us mechanical broadheads(not sure if i would if i could though).
    The big reason i want luminocks legal is that i have shot a deer and a elk and both time i did not see were my arrow hit. I have no clue how to go about trying to get them legalized but it sure would be nice if we could shoot them.
    +1
    2014 PSE Momentum
    Muzzy/G5 Montec Heads
    Goldtip Arrows
    Trophy Taker Rest
    Black Gold Sight

SD does have a bowhunter orginization and from what i understand they are the ones that deal with getting things in the law changed. they recently made it so we could use guillotines on turkeys but made the mistake of calling them that when they wrote the law so basically if you use the magnus bullheads you are breaking the law. thats what i mean as far as getting things defined in the law. you need to really watch the wording.

silly law

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast